• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

Infinity RSlll : growing up in Germany and going to Mainz-Kastel Storage Station every weekend walking through the A/V center, I always wanted them. My father said they were too big and I got the Reference Studio Monitors instead (no disappointed at all). A few years ago I cam across a pair. I will never let them GO!
 
My Altec model 14s and my Wharfedale W70Es

The Altecs produce a nice live sound, solid state bi-amped and the Wharfedales with tubes are just the most super lush and smoothest speakers I've ever heard.
 
I can’t say for sure yet (if ever), but once I finish refreshing my Polk Monitor 7’s I don’t think they will ever leave … at least not unless I shed ALL vintage equipment. They were my first speaker purchase back in their day new, and repurchased them about 6 years ago. New tweeters, caps, resistors, wiring, binding posts, sonic barrier, dynamat, Hurricane nuts, etc … expect to be better than new.
Szabo 626 speakers are wonderful speakers. You do not need a sub woofer as they down to 40hz with detail and authority. They are very smooth with nice top end detail. Cabinets have a small footprint and can fit in almost any room location.
 
Added (2) REL 212SE subwoofers to mate seamlessly with my MBL 101E MkII speakers!
Incredible sound with spooky imaging!!


52576343650_8f0eeca4f0_h.jpg
 
I don't collect anything audio related other than CDs, and haven't done much of that lately either. I just have no attraction to the gear in a way of which I would look at something as a 'keep forever' sort of component. Perhaps that would be the case if I had some super rare stuff that would be difficult to replace, but I'm not into gear at that level either.

I am going to send off my Yamaha CX-1/MX-2 combo for servicing (they're 25-30 years old, time for a checkup), the amp going first. I seriously considered donating them and finding something else. The amp will be sent within a few days to Holt Hill.

I have a pair of Tekton Lore S speakers. Great speakers for my requirements. But I'd sell them in a second or perhaps donate them if I get the urge to change.
 
Why are they stuffed, ported speakers are usually not, kind of defeats the purpose.

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose - you can "quasi-full-fill" a bass-reflex nearly like a sealed enclosure, provided that the port is not plugged, nor the back of the woofer, of course - here's what I did, that could not be clearly seen on the pictures :

IGNrMb-Filling-stuffing-position-21-08-2021.jpg


Mr. V. Dickason, J. d'Appolito and M. Colloms discusses the subject in their respective books. To sum up :

- Increase of the acoustic volume vs. the physic volume up to 41% in theory - in practice 20 to 30% are easily obtained, depending on the choice of the filling material, and this lowers the FC of the whole system.
- Best efficiency of damping the mid and mid-bass tones going out of the cab through the cone and the port.
- The damping efficiency of the resonances makes proportions ratio in the dimensions secondary.

T
 
If I recall correctly when I originally responded to this post I said my Polk SDA-1Bs and my KLH 6s. Now it would have to be my full range speakers.

Bozak B800BCs
Coral Holey Baskets
Zenith 49CZ852s
Jensen 8" from a pair of model 1s

I rarely listen to box speakers anymore.
 
I have a pair of JBL L100's that will never leave. They still get some play from time to time but not my mains. Just too much fun and nostalgia to let go of.

My ADS L1290's are not going anywhere either.
 
My Acoustic Research AR-90s. They mate perfectly with my Pioneer SX-D7000. Purchased new in 1980 after listening to dozens of speakers over the course of several months. Have never even thought about replacing them.
 
Its been awhile since I first posted in this thread. I've been through a lot of speakers since then. But my Imperial 6's are still being used and not going anywhere. I use them connected to a Dynaco ST-35 tube amp and an Aikido tube preamp. It's a great combo. I have other speakers and amps in my main system all connected to a speaker/amp switch box. The 6's have mostly stayed in my main system since I got them back around 2011.
They sound good and are really easy to listen to for hours.
 
I'll never sell any Infinity IRS speakers, unless I find a bigger/better set to upgrade to. [Ultimate dream: IRS Vs]. I'd keep them all, except I have no room for more speakers that big. I don't plan to sell any ESS speakers with the "Great" Heil AMT units, because I want to experiment with an open-baffle line array of those AMTs (maybe three or five or more in a slightly concave column per side) when and if I eventually get enough of them.

I think all my other supposed "keeper" speakers may all eventually be up for sale, but only when something better comes in the door. For example, right now I have AR-2ax and AR-4x speakers. From what I've heard, AR-3as are better-sounding. IF so, when I get a pair of AR-3as I might get rid of one of the others.

Speaking of AR-3as, I saw a pair this week in a shop, but the price was too high. I'll keep looking in the cheaper wholesale places for a more affordable pair. Ditto for two pair (an "instant stack" if I bought them both!) of NS-1000Ms I saw, although I might still break down one day and pay retail for a pair of them. They might actually be worth it.

If I lived in a house with a basement or garage, or othewise had enough storage space to keep them all, I'd keep all the better-sounding speakers I find. I'd probably end up eventually joining the ranks of the "certified" collectors with 50 pairs or more. Fortunately or unfortunately, that is not an option in the apartment where I live now, so most of my speakers are "at risk" for being sold sooner or later.

UPDATE (almost a year later): I no longer feel any need for collecting 50 or more speakers, even if I should have the room. However, I would always like to keep a sampling of the best ones... maybe 20 pairs, if there are that many really, really good ones that I like that much. I could almost as easily be satisfied with only 3 or 4 VERY GOOD ones, these days. I want great sound, not just good sound, and I don't want clutter. Finally learned this lesson "the hard way"". LOL.
I know this is an old post but I can relate. Im at 20 and decided I should take my foot off the pedal but all it will take is a handsome pair at the thrift store with my name on them. LOL Maybe I will get to where your at one day?
 
I will never sell my Legacy Whispers. I'm getting older now, the Whispers are on casters, so they're easy to move. They sound perfect in my room (reminds me of the SDA or Sonic hologram effect -thats how big of an image and soundstage they throw). These speakers are keepers until death do we part....and I've been married for over 36 years so I know what loyalty means :):cool:
 
Ohm F's. My son has dibs on them so they'll be handed down when the time is right.
Sonus Faber Amati Futura's and matching Vox center. Love these speakers, they will always have a home here.
 
Back
Top Bottom