• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

The speakers I will never sell are:

1) All original EMI DLS529 speakers. These just sound so good with a Scott 299C amp. These have been in my family since new. They're a heavy, solidly made, non-ported speaker. They sport a big oval woofer, and dual tweeters. Huge crossover assembly too. I'm playing "Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot as I write this. Wow!!! Sounds amazing!

2) All original Wharfedale W70 speakers. These just produce a wall of sound that most modern, small speakers just lack. These are ported and have one of the juiciest tweeters too. Great bass due to the ported cabinet. Also perfect with tube amps rated at 5 to 30 watts per side. These sport a 12" woofer, a 10" midwoofer, and a paper cone tweeter that most people seem to love.

IMG_20230519_121022400.jpg IMG_20230519_121226043.jpg
 
I'm sad that I parted with the pair I owned. I could listen to classical FM radio on them all day. They really sounded good at low volume and kept their composure when turned up a little.
I've got 2 pair of them.

Two are my daily listeners, two are tucked away safe and sound waiting for me to refinish the cabs. The PO stripped them and put some gawd-awful dark stain on them. They look like shiite, but sound just a magical as my dailies.

Plan is one pair in the listening room and one pair out on the main living room. All run off my Sansui 8080DB though the A/B/C selector.

Have a surround reseal kit on order right now. All 4 could use a freshening up of the cloth surround sealants. Still sound great and I'd like to keep them that way.

Bookshelf speakers? Maybe in the add hype. Real life seems to be a little different. These things sure do live up to the anecdotal reputation of "giant killers"....
 
Fine looking units! Understated, yet smooth and classy. The cabs seem to exude "quality'. Not many manufactures go through the trouble to make the REAR panels look that nice. Ilove that you could stand those out in the middle of a room and they would look good from any direction.

If they sound half as good as they look, I understand why they're "keepers".....if you ever do tire of them, I can give them a good loving home!
 
My DIY speakers that I made about 15 years ago. I have often thought about making new cabinets for them as I feel that I could do a better job of them now with better tools, materials and experience but if I do that I may as well make a completely new set and take it to another level. Well they are used every day and for me the sound is more than acceptable, never felt the need for a sub as they give plenty of base. And they are made out of solid oak, may or may not be the best idea for speakers but I just like real wood.

Never would get rid of them, but then I have never sold anything. However I have given a lot of stuff away over the years and made some people very happy, priceless.....

View attachment 2868738

View attachment 2868739
I know what you mean, I made my own too solid wood 80% the rest is Plywood for the front panel and I will never sell them because the value. did you used Morel drives?
AG.
 
I will never sell my Infinity Quantum (QLS) 4 3-way mains. These were unobtanium for me in my early life, so I made do with Infinity SM-122s for quite some time. Was lucky to find this pair in my father-in-law's storage after he passed, and I never knew he had them. No one in our family wanted them...that is, except for me. I was giddy when I spotted them, even though they need repair. Now, all repaired and they sound fantastic.

Also, I will never sell my Hughes Orb 1 speakers. Cool design for an omnidirectional satellite. Hughes audio company was not in business for long, even though Hughes Aircraft was an engineering powerhouse back in the day. These speakers have design that is detailed in the following Huges patent #4,836,329 (abstract and link following for techies)...

Patent Abstract

A wide dispersion baffle for a vertically oriented loudspeaker includes a first semi-conical reflective section that is concave toward the speaker and has a semicircular rim positioned at the periphery of the speaker. It extends at an angle of about 45.degree. to the radiation axis of the speaker to its apex on the speaker axis. A second semi-conical reflective section is convex toward the speaker and extends from the apex of the first semiconical section at substantially the same 45.degree. angle with respect to the speaker radiation axis. Sound emanating from the vertically directed speaker is reflected by both the concave and convex semi-conical reflector sections in a pattern centered about a substantially horizontal plane, but the sound is reflected through widely diverging angles in such horizontal plane. Baffle arrangements can provide horizonal dispersion patterns of any angular width between about 180.degree. and 360.degree..
https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=("4836329".PN.)&OS=PN/

I will always regret selling my pair of Hughes SRS Orb 1 speakers. Every now and then i look on ebay and they're always selling for $350-$450/pair used. When i bought mine, i got them through a friends father who was working as an engineer at Hughes. Paid $250/pair just prior to year 2000.
 
My not for Sale speakers are my Kef 103.2s. I paid $15 and $25 respectively for them two days apart on the same shelf of my local thrift. If they had been a pair they would have been gone right away. As it was, I stole them. And they sound great! I use them in my bedroom system with a McIntosh MA-6200. No, the reason they are my keeper speakers is that they don't take a lot of space. They are not even close to my Cornwalls, Kef 105s, nor my Sony SS-G7s, but they are much smaller, and I'm thinking these will follow me to the seniors home, if that day ever comes. And they do sound quite good and look great! Here is one of them. I was having a shootout and the Polks didn't win.
Kef 103.2 & Polk Audio M4 IMG_3589.jpg
 
I'm sure mentioned here a hundred times. LS3/5As. Maybe one day AI or some engineer will invent speakers that great but until then.

Also will never sell my Dynaco A-25s.
 
None of them!!!!!:jump::rflmao::crazy:

IMG-8314.jpg
 
I sold a pair of Quad ESL-57s recently. You just have to let stuff go.

Sez who???

In all seriousness, I'll get rid of it when I have to. That will be when my wife retires and decides that we are moving and we need to downsize. Until then, I like having different toys to play with.
 
Sez who???

In all seriousness, I'll get rid of it when I have to. That will be when my wife retires and decides that we are moving and we need to downsize. Until then, I like having different toys to play with.
So true. At some point we'll have to downsize too, and I'll have to let go of more than half of my stash.
 
My main speakers will work anywhere...in any room...so NEVAH...however...I may not always have the space for a full blown secondary system...so...ipso facto...
 
Updated List
Kef Q150s new favorite
Camber LS-1 - incredible small speaker. One of the best sealed boxes I have ever heard. Smaller than Boston A40 for a sealed box but sound much bigger.
Camber 3.0Ti- Never will sell
JBL S26II
Boston A40

Boston A40- for a long time my favorites. I would buy speakers, some pretty big ones, some pretty weird ones, some pretty expensive ones... didn't love them enough to fight the temptation to sell them. In the end it would always be me and my little pair of A40s which never left their spot in my listening room.

In terms of comparable size and value- and sheer enjoyment- KEF Chorale IIIs finally bested them. but the A40s retain an honorary spot in the hall of fame.
 
My Von Schweikert VR4 Gen IIs are definite keepers but I want to also add my KLH 6s not because they are rare, or valuable, but I paid very little for them, they sound really good in all the systems I’ve used them in and I recently sanded them down and re-stained them. Can’t think of any good reason to get rid of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom