• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"SPRING" Thrift Store Finds....

For me...thrift stores tend to be very hit or miss with maybe one or two exceptions. Normally - these exceptions come if I haven't been there for a while. :yes:

It seems I'm usually one of the few people as obsessed with this stuff as I am around my town. Sometimes - very very worthy speakers will sit at a store for weeks before I finally bite the bullet on them and make an offer! Example: the pair of Polk Audio LS 50's that are currently my system mains I found at a thrift store sat there for almost 2 weeks before I finally got interested and did some more research. The drivers were perfect but there was a small patch of cabinet (2 inch diameter or so) that had been punched in a little (nothing that can't be remedied by some Liquid nails or wood glue of course) so I asked if they would discount the $100 pair price (which was already an unheard of price for those guys I've found). They gave 'em to me for $50! And that was that. My Boston Acoustics VR 940's are now going on craigslist today...

I rarely if ever have a run where I don't find one gem or another. Even sometimes if it is something besides stereo electronics (found a Apple IIgs Limited Edition signed by Woz on the front of the enclosure for $1 a couple days back!! Got an original Macintosh [not even joking] in perfect working condition for $10 a month ago...)

Sometimes it's anybodies guess. I have this sixth sense about it occasionally. One time, I just "felt" like I should go to a particular thrift store. While I was there, I "felt" like I should ask if they have any other speakers they were about to place out on the floor (I never ever do this normally). Cha-ching! Up comes a pair of absolutely mint Paradigm 3se monitors....they had just labeled at $20.:lmao:
 
For me...thrift stores tend to be very hit or miss with maybe one or two exceptions. Normally - these exceptions come if I haven't been there for a while. :yes:

It seems I'm usually one of the few people as obsessed with this stuff as I am around my town. Sometimes - very very worthy speakers will sit at a store for weeks before I finally bite the bullet on them and make an offer! Example: the pair of Polk Audio LS 50's that are currently my system mains I found at a thrift store sat there for almost 2 weeks before I finally got interested and did some more research. The drivers were perfect but there was a small patch of cabinet (2 inch diameter or so) that had been punched in a little (nothing that can't be remedied by some Liquid nails or wood glue of course) so I asked if they would discount the $100 pair price (which was already an unheard of price for those guys I've found). They gave 'em to me for $50! And that was that. My Boston Acoustics VR 940's are now going on craigslist today...

I rarely if ever have a run where I don't find one gem or another. Even sometimes if it is something besides stereo electronics (found a Apple IIgs Limited Edition signed by Woz on the front of the enclosure for $1 a couple days back!! Got an original Macintosh [not even joking] in perfect working condition for $10 a month ago...)

Sometimes it's anybodies guess. I have this sixth sense about it occasionally. One time, I just "felt" like I should go to a particular thrift store. While I was there, I "felt" like I should ask if they have any other speakers they were about to place out on the floor (I never ever do this normally). Cha-ching! Up comes a pair of absolutely mint Paradigm 3se monitors....they had just labeled at $20.:lmao:

maybe I'm competing with other audio stalkers and don't know it...I saw yesterday something that was definitely vintage..it was an all in one unit that had an 8 track...some guy actually bought it.
 
maybe I'm competing with other audio stalkers and don't know it...I saw yesterday something that was definitely vintage..it was an all in one unit that had an 8 track...some guy actually bought it.

I've gone so often that I have also learned that there are thrifts were there tend to be certain items dropped off with a level of consistency and some thrifts where I know I will never ever find anything valuable. Every week there is a certain plot of stores I hit up consistently in a specific sequence (right when they open) and it rarely fails to yield very good results. My local craigslist electronics section is bookmarked and I do also run across the every-so-often incredible ebay find that slides under the radar. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a Proton 1100 pre and Proton AT 470 tuner in perfect condition for $75 off of craigslist...I really want a good pre and I know that's virtually unbeatable price from any sane person for those two so I think I may pick them up. :thmbsp:

Sometimes I think I'm just way way too lucky. Though, if I didn't spend 4 hours a day looking at auction listings/craigslist/kvraudio/audiokarma/thrifts/vintage knob/etc. I don't think I'd be anywhere near as confident as I have become about which items to pick up and never look back. There's a pair of huge floorstanding realistic optimus speakers in near perfect condition at GW right now for $20 that I know for a fact will just sit there because no-body understands how decent the old realistic stuff is (and they are friggin big). I know I will probably be the one who eventually caves in even though I haven't room for them and will just continue to stack speaker on top of speaker in my apartment... :drool:
 
One thing I know for sure, there is a LOT of competition in my area (Los Angeles). I see nicely dressed people perusing the electronics gear, many times on their bluetooth headsets calling someone to look up how much they go for on eBay or CL. And don't get me wrong, if I had someone to call to look stuff up for me, I would be too! (I just wouldn't use a bluetooth headset. Sorry, unless you're Uhura from Star Trek, they just don't look right!)

Anything I mange to find is solely based on luck...no doubt about it!
 
Last edited:
Saturday I picked up a pair of JBL L110 A'S for a buck a piece. cab's are good but they need some work on the woofers.
 
I've gone so often that I have also learned that there are thrifts were there tend to be certain items dropped off with a level of consistency and some thrifts where I know I will never ever find anything valuable. Every week there is a certain plot of stores I hit up consistently in a specific sequence (right when they open) and it rarely fails to yield very good results. My local craigslist electronics section is bookmarked and I do also run across the every-so-often incredible ebay find that slides under the radar. I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a Proton 1100 pre and Proton AT 470 tuner in perfect condition for $75 off of craigslist...I really want a good pre and I know that's virtually unbeatable price from any sane person for those two so I think I may pick them up. :thmbsp:

Sometimes I think I'm just way way too lucky. Though, if I didn't spend 4 hours a day looking at auction listings/craigslist/kvraudio/audiokarma/thrifts/vintage knob/etc. I don't think I'd be anywhere near as confident as I have become about which items to pick up and never look back. There's a pair of huge floorstanding realistic optimus speakers in near perfect condition at GW right now for $20 that I know for a fact will just sit there because no-body understands how decent the old realistic stuff is (and they are friggin big). I know I will probably be the one who eventually caves in even though I haven't room for them and will just continue to stack speaker on top of speaker in my apartment... :drool:

well, I was just at the SA....the prices are just outrageous, they don't seem to understand that they are a thrift store. the new arrivals starred numerous vcr's...(priced at 15 dollars) and some KN (knight) speakers that they put out at 49 dollars. I've heard some of the Knights can contain decent drivers..but I'd bet money that whoever prices these things doesn't know that.
 
Saturday I picked up a pair of JBL L110 A'S for a buck a piece. cab's are good but they need some work on the woofers.

That's nice! If you can fix them up for less than $30 in raw materials I'd say that's a definite find...

Here are my newest babies:
realisticnova8.jpg


pair of Realistic Nova 8's in superb condition (drivers are untouched and all controls on back works for mid/tweeter level) for a grand total of $15.50.

and Yowza!! They sound really really good! I totally wasn't expecting them to project as much detail and accuracy to the original timbre for acoustic instruments as they produce. A little astounding I would say. Very non-fatiguing, no obnoxious frequency humps or blatant forwardness. Geez. This is not making my decision on what speakers to keep easy. Anyone else had these?
 
That's nice! If you can fix them up for less than $30 in raw materials I'd say that's a definite find...

Here are my newest babies:
realisticnova8.jpg


pair of Realistic Nova 8's in superb condition (drivers are untouched and all controls on back works for mid/tweeter level) for a grand total of $15.50.

and Yowza!! They sound really really good! I totally wasn't expecting them to project as much detail and accuracy to the original timbre for acoustic instruments as they produce. A little astounding I would say. Very non-fatiguing, no obnoxious frequency humps or blatant forwardness. Geez. This is not making my decision on what speakers to keep easy. Anyone else had these?

Have you unscrewed the plastic grilles to check if the foam has turned to dust ?

I had some and they lasted about a week until they needed a refoam....
 
Yup. The surrounds are perfect. Completely original too. Don't look like they will be deteriorating anytime soon.
 
Here are my newest babies:
realisticnova8.jpg

This image looks quite reminiscent of my apartment! I don't feel so bad now!

The only problem is when people actually do show up from CL to buy something, they always wonder "why I have all of this stuff?" (especially speakers).

Why, indeed!
 
SA S#$@$$$$ks!!!

well, I was just at the SA....the prices are just outrageous, they don't seem to understand that they are a thrift store. the new arrivals starred numerous vcr's...(priced at 15 dollars) and some KN (knight) speakers that they put out at 49 dollars. I've heard some of the Knights can contain decent drivers..but I'd bet money that whoever prices these things doesn't know that.

Your SA sounds like mine. I used to get good deals there. I few years back I picked up A NAD receiver/Cd/Cassette set up for $40. Now they want $50 for any BPC receiver. I go to their Friday auction and sometimes pick up something good, If I can beat out the other vultures. :sigh: Oh, and to add to this, There is a trend now were they are now making "audio systems" were they may have one good receiver or Cd player and add other crappy speakers or tape deck and try to sell them for, oh say, $150 or so. Dummies.
 
Last edited:
So, today my wife and I went to a few garage sales to get my grandson from Chicago some transformers and othe fun stuff. At a big garage sale at a "home for battered women" we find a cornucopia of cheap toys and he is in heaven. Then I see a cassette deck out of the corner of my eye. It is a Nakamichi RX-202. It is in absolutely new condition, looks-wise. It has a TDK tape in it and we plug it in.

Everything works. So I took it off their hands for $5.
 
This image looks quite reminiscent of my apartment! I don't feel so bad now!

The only problem is when people actually do show up from CL to buy something, they always wonder "why I have all of this stuff?" (especially speakers).

Why, indeed!

Looks like several corners at my house. :thmbsp:
 
Picked up a Marantz SR-19 for under $30 at a local GW. I was surprised to find the "gyro" wheel on it. It weighs in at 46.8 pounds! :)
 
Picked up a Marantz SR-19 for under $30 at a local GW. I was surprised to find the "gyro" wheel on it. It weighs in at 46.8 pounds! :)

Wow, now that's a deal. I don't get GW pricing. The one here as mediocre Marantz CD player they're asking $90 for...
 
Wow, now that's a deal. I don't get GW pricing. The one here as mediocre Marantz CD player they're asking $90 for...

Oooouch. $90 huh? That's too bad. The GW here (Reno, NV) can be kind of funky - once there was a single paradigm floorstanding model that they priced at $500 (and the cabinet was in less than stellar condition) :confused:

Other times I'll find Altecs or floorstanding Boston Acoustics for almost nothing. It can be very very hit or miss, but when the good stuff comes in - you can win big for sure.
 
In my neck of the woods, it seems like they go on looks, rather than quality. I've seen cheap Pioneer rack system speakers for $40.00, Panasonic.Thrusters for $30.00, along with other cheap brands. Next to them sits some Klipsch KG2 for $8.00. The crap looked nicer, but with a little work these will look just as nice, but sound alot better.
DSCN1163.jpg
DSCN1162.jpg
 
In my neck of the woods, it seems like they go on looks, rather than quality. I've seen cheap Pioneer rack system speakers for $40.00, Panasonic.Thrusters for $30.00, along with other cheap brands. Next to them sits some Klipsch KG2 for $8.00. The crap looked nicer, but with a little work these will look just as nice, but sound alot better.]

Tell me about the "looks factor". I picked up a pair of original Klipsch Heresys for $7, probably because they didn't look special, read "High Priced". While a large pair of cheap made Pioneer speakers sit at another thrift, priced $169.98 because they "look special", there again read "High Priced". :no:
 
Today I saw a pair of Acoustic Profiles PSL-7.5 speakers. The size was right between a large bookshelf and a floor speaker. I got excited when I saw them from a distance, but was turned off by the $35 price for the pair. That's probably a good eBay price for them, but hardly a thrift store price. :( .....

..... As an aside, someone PLEASE stop people from putting their fingers into the dust caps!!! I've seen so many speakers that are fine but when I check them again a few days later they've been pushed in. Is the need to do that based on a nipple fetish, a pimple fetish, or a doorbell fetish!?!? :(

Found a pair today for $15. Black Ash vinyl veneer cabinets are very scratched up but the drivers seem fine - no spare fingers found in the dust caps. I needed a pair of tweeters for another (not terribly demanding) project The 1-inch domes in the Acoustic Profiles are marked TWLR 10DT. Anyone have any ideas what these are?

Other posts on the net indicate these were made by "Audiosphere Research" in Ontario ... and were A&B Sound's house brand speaker out here on the West Coast.
 
Back
Top Bottom