• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Streaming via wifi

Hawkcigar

New Member
Hi all, Just wondering what everyone is using for streaming via wifi now that Chromecast audio and Apple Airport Express are discontinued? Are there other options out there or is Bluetooth going to be the best bet?
 
Register to hide this ad
Airport Expresses and Apple TV 2 and 3 are still readily available, though they are generally used (and cheap). New AppleTV's also have Airplay, as do most nicer AVR's. In my case, I use ATV and built-in for my 7.1 / HT system and Airport Expresses and an ATV on my stereo system.
Somewhat related... I have an Android tablet of some variety. I installed the Denon remote control app on it and was able to stream to Airplay on my Denon AVR.
 
I use WiFi with my Bluesound Node2i, and stream video with the FireStick over it as well, very rarely have any problems in fact none, no problems. .
 
There are still CCA's to be had online if that is still an option you want to explore. Not all at inflated prices either.
 
I use my Comcast modem wifi @ 5.0ghz to Samsung Galaxy cell phones that run the Spotify Premium app. Last Xmas I bought the Black Friday Galaxy J7 Crowns they had for $99 (I bought 3). Samsung Galaxy phones have very nice DACs and are plenty fast enough to run any app. Using an app right from the cell phone is a no brainer. And when all the devices are on my network like they are I can control them from any of them including my desktop.

20190627_115159.jpg
 
I use Roon from my MacBook Pro to my Oppo udp-203 bypassing the dac in the 203 to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 . My internet is Comcast Fiber , has been very solid since I’ve been running the setup this way .

Audiofreak71
 
I use a Logitech Transporter and a Modwright Logitech Transporter for my 2 systems...I am computer illiterate but my wife set them up from our Apple computer to WiFi to each and they are really good IMHO.
 
Hi all, Just wondering what everyone is using for streaming via wifi now that Chromecast audio and Apple Airport Express are discontinued? Are there other options out there or is Bluetooth going to be the best bet?

Bluetooth AptX is probably your best bet for Audio.
 
I listen to music (mostly classical) via Bluetooth from my iMac to my Audioengine Bluetooth receiver feeding my Yamaha AS500 amp in my small study (10x11). Currently my speakers are Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers. I use the "My Tuner Radio Pro" App and have a number of favorite stations on it including Linn Classical and WCRI out on Block Island. The sound is excellent!
 
There are still CCA's to be had online if that is still an option you want to explore. Not all at inflated prices either.

This ^. I wouldn't give up on finding a CCA. Still a great option. I run CCA>SHD (dac/pre/dsp)> mc752> GE Triton 7s.

I just switched to Qobuz from TIDAL and have been streaming their hi-res files. Even in my medium-resolution system, I notice a significant improvement over 16/44.
 
Samsung pad or phone and Comcast internet. I like it simple.


Exactly. I always wonder why things have to be complicated. Samsung and other big brand name hand held electronics have outstanding DACs (all they have to do to be outstanding is not jitter).

1. Get Phone or tablet

2. Install Spotify or other streaming app.

3. Hook up RCA split cord from device to favorite receiver or pre amp.

4. Turn on wifi on device and connect to your wifi network.

5. Listen to music.
 
Airport Expresses and Apple TV 2 and 3 are still readily available, though they are generally used (and cheap). New AppleTV's also have Airplay, as do most nicer AVR's. In my case, I use ATV and built-in for my 7.1 / HT system and Airport Expresses and an ATV on my stereo system.
Somewhat related... I have an Android tablet of some variety. I installed the Denon remote control app on it and was able to stream to Airplay on my Denon AVR.
Here's a question for you, does Apple TV have a S/PDIF output as does Airport Express?
 
No. Only HDMI on the current versions.
Is there an RCA output? If not, I guess Apple TV has no internal multi-channel DAC? That would mean it is not a substitute for Airport Express in my application tied to a 20 year old preamp with no HDMI inputs. To benefit from Apple TV it would appear I'd need a new prepro with HDMI although I think many new Prepro's have Airplay built-in. Is that right?
 
Is there an RCA output? If not, I guess Apple TV has no internal multi-channel DAC? That would mean it is not a substitute for Airport Express in my application tied to a 20 year old preamp with no HDMI inputs. To benefit from Apple TV it would appear I'd need a new prepro with HDMI although I think many new Prepro's have Airplay built-in. Is that right?
Also no. There is only one output, hdmi

Which is a serious bummer. When my APEs go belly up I'll mess with building a Raspberry Pi solution
 
Is there an RCA output? If not, I guess Apple TV has no internal multi-channel DAC? That would mean it is not a substitute for Airport Express in my application tied to a 20 year old preamp with no HDMI inputs. To benefit from Apple TV it would appear I'd need a new prepro with HDMI although I think many new Prepro's have Airplay built-in. Is that right?
I still use my old Airport Express units, but there are Airplay devices out there that are third party that fill the hole (though,I dont have first hand experience with them:

https://www.amazon.com/M5-Wireless-...ocphy=9013529&hvtargid=pla-570114588170&psc=1

The newer AppleTVs (4) have the benefit of Airplay 2, though. It is more robust with a longer buffer and you can stream to multiple Airplay 2 devices from iOS.
 
Back
Top Bottom