• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Summer New England FrankenFest GTG - Clinton, MA Saturday June 27th

Not only that, the Frieds are in very good physical condition but need a refoam and recap. Grilles are perfect. Bud Fried did IMF, right? So, they're kind of like them.
 
Glad to see that the workshops will continue on. With this diagnosis, I do the best I can to even show up, but coordinating or running things are now impossible, methinks.

Good to see you all, see you in October.

Hey Don. I too was so sorry to read about your diagnosis here. Our prayers are with you, and I was glad to see you there. Take care of yourself and it was good to see you too. We will see you at the next fest.
Glenn
 
A big thanks as usual to Frank, Jim, et al for the party and hospitality. Seemed like a really good crowd for a summer fest, too. Managed to come home with less than I brought, for once.

The highlight of the day for me was seeing GD70's mystery/DIY/prototype Wilson clone-ish speakers. Those were quite something.

Thanks John! Too bad the listening room is so bad for sonics. But it's great to have the dedicated space anyway. There were many highlights. I really enjoyed the AR TT discussion. The tube amp bench check was interesting to watch as well, and some great gear to drool over. I was loving those Dynakit mono blocks for sale. The best though was talking about our hobby.
 
Many thanks to the organizers!
Had a good time, bought a pair of A/D/S L200E mini-speakers, which, I must admit, sound darn good {and loud} for the size. I couldn't believe the bass on these little guys. They will serve well at backyard parties.
Nice to see you especially, Don! Will see you again in the Fall.:yes:
 
Last edited:
What a great show! Thanks to everyone who showed up, or tried to show up, and thanks as always to Frank for putting up with us. Sorry for everyone who had to endure the "mystery speakers" that I brought. The other mystery ones in the listening room sounded great!

Don, I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament. As I said at the show, if you need help with things, I (or others in the group, I'm sure) would be willing to help out. We'll have to come up with a new audio-themed 'challenge' to replace the ol' ice bucket; maybe a bucket full of ICEpower modules? :scratch2:
-Adam
 
Some more pics of the action!

Some of the goodies and activity of the day.
Glenn

My system in the listening room.


Some of the goodies.





The AR TT discussion.


MOre gear in the listening room.

Frank's amazing Altec's.


 
This was a great time, good to see those I knew, and was nice to meet many faces that were new to me. Already looking forward to the next one! Also I'm willing to help out in any way possible to smooth the transition of Audiodon out of workshops since he clearly has more important things on his plate, thoughts and prayers!

Maybe next time I'll bring a restored APT system...
 
This was a great time, good to see those I knew, and was nice to meet many faces that were new to me. Already looking forward to the next one! Also I'm willing to help out in any way possible to smooth the transition of Audiodon out of workshops since he clearly has more important things on his plate, thoughts and prayers!

Maybe next time I'll bring a restored APT system...

I'd also like you to do a check on my LK-72.

Cheers!
 
Thank you, Jim.

These last two years I have missed everything. And everyone. I am finally able to be in the area for this!

Bill
 
As always a fine time -and - a decent turnout for a summer event at about 35-40 people.
We didn't have access to the back room but the hallways, Franks space and the upstairs room provided ample space for our activities.

Thanks as always to everyone who showed up and of course to our gracious host Frank.

The next event will be on Saturday October 24th in Clinton.



Hey all

I am thinking of bringing some gear for the "listening room" in October.

I have a very rare Amherst Audio P2000 preamp and A2000 amp. Only 50 of these pieces were made. I'm thinking of pairing them with either some Magnepan MGIIa or the Linn SARA Isobariks or something of my own design. Just curious, what does this room "like" and what are some of the challenges? I actually haven't been up to that room in the last 3 events, so I can't remember room acoustics, etc. very well. I'm asking now because both of these speakers are projects that would need to be started soon in order to make the Fest in October. (Another option would be the RSLs, but they are 115 lb each, so... not so portable...)

Also, a while back I had mentioned bringing an all-NAD setup, including my restored NAD 300 mini-towers. Is there still interest in that?


Also, for those of you who know about my prototype, it's coming, and should be ready for October. It's looking like a largish bookshelf or stand-mounted 3-way with a side firing 8" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" semi-horn loaded dome tweeter. Crossover will be as simple as possible. It's modeling like it will be fairly efficient too.
 
Hey all

I am thinking of bringing some gear for the "listening room" in October.

I have a very rare Amherst Audio P2000 preamp and A2000 amp. Only 50 of these pieces were made. I'm thinking of pairing them with either some Magnepan MGIIa or the Linn SARA Isobariks or something of my own design. Just curious, what does this room "like" and what are some of the challenges? I actually haven't been up to that room in the last 3 events, so I can't remember room acoustics, etc. very well. I'm asking now because both of these speakers are projects that would need to be started soon in order to make the Fest in October. (Another option would be the RSLs, but they are 115 lb each, so... not so portable...)

Also, a while back I had mentioned bringing an all-NAD setup, including my restored NAD 300 mini-towers. Is there still interest in that?


Also, for those of you who know about my prototype, it's coming, and should be ready for October. It's looking like a largish bookshelf or stand-mounted 3-way with a side firing 8" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" semi-horn loaded dome tweeter. Crossover will be as simple as possible. It's modeling like it will be fairly efficient too.

Hey baco,

The room is terrible for acoustics. It's a hard room. Bass can be very boomy depending on where you're standing. I discovered there's one or two sweet spots so to speak, up fairly close to the speakers, or way in the back. Sonics would definitely benefit with a rug, and some fabric of some kind on the walls. Hopes this helps some.

Glenn
 
Hey baco,

The room is terrible for acoustics. It's a hard room. Bass can be very boomy depending on where you're standing. I discovered there's one or two sweet spots so to speak, up fairly close to the speakers, or way in the back. Sonics would definitely benefit with a rug, and some fabric of some kind on the walls. Hopes this helps some.

Glenn

Interesting. When I was there, the smaller speakers were playing [ARs, KLHs?], and there was 'no' bass.
 
Interesting. When I was there, the smaller speakers were playing [ARs, KLHs?], and there was 'no' bass.

The ones up on the counters? Those were some Radio Shack conglomerates AdamAnt316 got at a tag sale. If they were on the floor, there probably would have been more bass out of those.

The "Angelicas" on the floor had a lot of bass. All the settings on the amp & EQ were flat.
 
Thanks everybody for your sentiments.
I'm doing my best to adapt to this new reality. I am looking for someone to pick up and schedule the workshops in future Frankenfests. Keeping things straight is difficult now. I know I told NickNoiseux I could do writeups for the BAS, and maybe I can do that, but I am not sure about that either. I'm so used to being a doer that my mind thinks I can. The spirit is willing but the body is weak.
 
Don, I'm sure all of us will do whatever is needed to make our future get-togethers as fulfilling for you as possible. I'm positive you'll pull through this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
Interesting. When I was there, the smaller speakers were playing [ARs, KLHs?], and there was 'no' bass.

The ones up on the counters? Those were some Radio Shack conglomerates AdamAnt316 got at a tag sale. If they were on the floor, there probably would have been more bass out of those.

The "Angelicas" on the floor had a lot of bass. All the settings on the amp & EQ were flat.

Yep, those.
Sadly, I didn't have a chance to listen to the Angelicas. They looked interesting.
 
Don, I'm sure all of us will do whatever is needed to make our future get-togethers as fulfilling for you as possible. I'm positive you'll pull through this one!



Yep, those.
Sadly, I didn't have a chance to listen to the Angelicas. They looked interesting.

Oh well, maybe at a future gathering. Seemed the fellas that heard them were pretty impressed. I'm still amazed by them.
 
I feel that all Akers are brethren. I am asking you, those who I have seen and talked to : should I keep this to myself or should I have a thread where I tell everybody the story plus diagnosis because they are ak community members too? Pm me answers please. Thanks
 
I feel that all Akers are brethren. I am asking you, those who I have seen and talked to : should I keep this to myself or should I have a thread where I tell everybody the story plus diagnosis because they are ak community members too? Pm me answers please. Thanks

Don, I'd be interested to hear. Thanks and it was nice to see you again at the fest.

-Nick
 
I feel that all Akers are brethren. I am asking you, those who I have seen and talked to : should I keep this to myself or should I have a thread where I tell everybody the story plus diagnosis because they are ak community members too? Pm me answers please. Thanks

Your inbox is full.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom