• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-1010 won't Power On...

:no: They don't ship to Canada :no:

:scratch2:There's gotta be a way for you to get those parts. I can understand from the experience from others in AK forum living in U.S. sending unit off to Canada and get smacked with additional fees that they were initially unaware of. I'm not sure if that's the reason. Hopefully, others may chime in with a solution.

Almost forgot to ask. Did they explain the reason why they don't ship to Canada?
 
There has been some question about replacement transistors.

I posted this in the second page of the thread.


Actually, other than replacing the main caps, that's about the biggest hit by far for components.

www.mouser.com
534-4662 to-3 mica insulator $0.16 each (get 8)

532-249 1 oz thermal compound $4.71
or
532-250 2 oz thermal compound $6.45

863-MJ21193G pnp to-3 250v 16A 250W 4mhz 8-75hfe $3.83 for 2sAxxxx or 2sBxxxx transistors
863-MJ21194G npn to-3 250v 16A 250W 4mhz 8-75hfe $3.83 for 2sCxxxx or 2sDxxxx transistors
(the 1010 lists several different parts numbers for them)

ccheath: gonna have him set up a dim bulb tester to save his 1010 if there are further problems when powering up?

You guys took right off without me....

Here's the transistor testing thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43186
post #11 has an explicit test protocol and typical results for both polarities of transistor.

Be REAL careful with that little horseshoe shaped diode on the heatsinks, the wire LOVES to break, and it is the hardest to find part in the unit. Replacing just about everything else is easier.

As to bona-fides for replacement, these part number transistors have been used BY ME ,personally, as TESTED replacements for MANY units, including many pioneers (including an actual sx-1010 last year), marantz's and others.
 
Hey

I didn't get the chance to clean the SX-1010 yet. Once I am done with it (I will post pictures after the clean up) I am going to get the STV-3H and the transistors. Following your instructions, I will proceed. Meanwhile, my SX-680 arrived. Mint shape, fully functional. Very clean unit. Pictures to follow soon...
 
Also, I have a small concern about it. Is that the horseshoe type that can be attached onto the heatsink with the original screw? Or is it a replacement that needs a custom setup in order to attach onto the heatsink?
 
I'm pretty sure it should be a horseshoe style. As you may notice a couple diodes on your amplifier looks like a small rectangular box with a green dot is STV-3 with out an "H" but it does not look like horseshoe. So STV-3H, I would assume it should be a horseshoe. You should be able to use the original screw.
 
Very good point. Man I have a LOT to learn. By the way, I started cleaning up the unit. I started with the knobs, faceplate and switches. They are all soaking overnight in warm water with alittle bit of dish liquid. I also have a gentle brush that came with my hair clippers. I used it on the circuit boards... GENTLY mind you. It seems to work fine but not very good on hard to get at spots.
 
That's nothing Chris, only 10 minute job. I am more worried about the circuit boards. I can't seem to really clean them. I need compressed air or maybe a gentle cue-tip and spend hours on it. I really want those circuits to look clean and mint.
 
I use paintbrushes, cut down paintbrushes, acid brushes (1/2 inch long stiff bristles) and toothbrushes. The strongest cleaner I use is window cleaner. And I don't go for museum quality or like new appearance.

Everything is inexpensive. cut down paintbrush is for shorter, stiffer bristles. And the eye can see details in person that a picture doesn't reveal.
 
I'll leave the cleaning of the top at that. Next I will do a brief cleaning of the bottom as there is not much dust and grime there and she should be fine.
 
I just discovered something. When the receiver is in FM mode and when I find a station, I hear chirping noise, like a cricket, coming from somewhere around the two circuit boards in front of the heat sinks. I am not liking it.

Hi, FYI...the chirping noise is normal. It is the muting reed relay that you hear. Take it off of mute and you won't hear it. I have enjoyed reading this thread as I also own a 1010. I rebuilt mine years ago. These guys know what they're talking about. Enjoy!
 
Even cheaper. Will they ship to Canada?
I have tried to get these parts from Steve at Consolidated in the past. Unless he's run across some stock in the last year or so, he does not have them. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Also, I have a small concern about it. Is that the horseshoe type that can be attached onto the heatsink with the original screw? Or is it a replacement that needs a custom setup in order to attach onto the heatsink?
I'm pretty sure it should be a horseshoe style. As you may notice a couple diodes on your amplifier looks like a small rectangular box with a green dot is STV-3 with out an "H" but it does not look like horseshoe. So STV-3H, I would assume it should be a horseshoe. You should be able to use the original screw.
The last letter in the part designation determines the voltage drop vs temperature curve. The 'T' in the part prefix is what specifies the 'horseshoe' device.
Here's the damaged horseshoe at present....
I don't see a problem here, except that one of the 'hooves' is busted off. If the wires are still attached and it measures OK with a diode check (some meters have a problem doing this with a multijunction device as they don't use a high enough voltage to allow conduction, FYI), use a flatwasher to hold the diode in place along with the stock screw.
 
Hi, FYI...the chirping noise is normal. It is the muting reed relay that you hear. Take it off of mute and you won't hear it. I have enjoyed reading this thread as I also own a 1010. I rebuilt mine years ago. These guys know what they're talking about. Enjoy!
'
You recapped C1 & C2 as well as replaced Q3 on the awm-039 muting ckt assy?
And it still chirps?

If so, this is crazy just how many models share that glitch.
NOW I gotta get my hands on a 1010 too. sigh....
 
Back
Top Bottom