• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX 1980 with box...how high will it go?

The listing certainly could be improved with more close-up pics and a more comprehensive, detailed description. That said, I've seen some units sell for high prices, with equally brief descriptions, so the listing may be sufficient. A lot seems to come down to the seller's rating and general credibility. I think this guy is quite credible; at least he comes across that way.

Some equivalent units ("minty" SX-1980s) have sold for this much and more, so it's not surprising to see a nice unit like this sell for a high price. Are these beasts worth the money they are selling for? That is a question each person must answer for him-/herself, and we each have our own answer, but the "market" says they are worth it, because people are paying such prices.

I'm very glad people are paying these prices, since I already own mine. Mine did not come with a box, and has a few small scratches on the volume knob, but I'm happy to live with that, for the much lower price that I paid for it. I don't value cardboard boxes too highly. :D
 
i don't know how he doesn't make on the shipping .i just priced it up to less than half the $722.00 quoted and that wasn't the cheapest courier . he can sell my sa-8800 for me if he likes .no way i could get much for it here .shame the mice ate my box
 
I'll say it again. No receiver on the planet is worth anywhere near that.

You left off the "to me" part.

The definition of "fair market value" is the agreed-upon price between a willing and knowledgeable seller and a willing and knowledgeable buyer.

Because you aren't willing to pay that, either because you don't believe it's worth it, or you don't want it that bad, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other Pioneer collectors who do.

And if they are willing to pay $X,XXX for it, then, by definition, that's what it is currently worth in the collector marketplace.

The fact that you can buy a different receiver that sounds just as good, or looks just as good, or has just as much power, for less money, is completely irrelevant. You can buy a sports car that's faster and more comfortable than a Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso for a hell of a lot less than $5,000,000.

But it won't be a Berlinetta Lusso, and if that's the car you want, then that's what you're going to have to pay.
 
That is very strange- the seller is a well known McIntosh dealer and is offering this SX-1980 on the ebay UK site- not US- which it didn't come up when I did a search. The seller is about an hour's drive from me.

and he wants more for shipping .maybe it just costs more coming from your end ? about it being advertised here he may think he will get more money for it plus it puts him out of the competition with the other one ..bit of supply and demand going on i think
 
You left off the "to me" part.

The definition of "fair market value" is the agreed-upon price between a willing and knowledgeable seller and a willing and knowledgeable buyer.

Because you aren't willing to pay that, either because you don't believe it's worth it, or you don't want it that bad, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other Pioneer collectors who do.

And if they are willing to pay $X,XXX for it, then, by definition, that's what it is currently worth in the collector marketplace.

The fact that you can buy a different receiver that sounds just as good, or looks just as good, or has just as much power, for less money, is completely irrelevant. You can buy a sports car that's faster and more comfortable than a Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso for a hell of a lot less than $5,000,000.

But it won't be a Berlinetta Lusso, and if that's the car you want, then that's what you're going to have to pay.

Well put.
 
That's a lot for a receiver.

I'll say it again. No receiver on the planet is worth anywhere near that.

I promise, I'm not pickin' on youse guys! :D I'm just taking advantage of the fact that you both used a very, very important word in your posts, and it opens a door to helping to explain the reason why this Pioneer SX-1980 is going to fetch whatever it fetches.

You both referred to it as a "receiver". It's not a receiver. Well, it's not a receiver any more. It used to be, back in the day, but now it's a "thing".

It doesn't matter what, if anything, this thing does. It doesn't matter what it's made out of. It doesn't matter whether or not it's a quality thing, or whether or not this thing can be replaced by some"thing" else that's better and cheaper. At this point, it's only a thing, and the only relevant points are:

1. This thing is no longer being made.
2. There are only a set, finite number of these things still in existence.
3. At any give point in time, there are far, far more people who want one of these things than there are people selling one.

And that creates "demand", and there you have it.
 
Last edited:
They are out there. I can go buy one right now, even in my podunk town, for $1800...........if I really wanted to. They aren't vanishing, they are just getting passed/cycled/flipped around for higher and higher prices. Just saying that I have heard and have had MUCH better for that crazy coin. I get the car references. Been there too :).
 
The 1980 was a landmark unit for Pioneer, and to many people, it is the holy grail of vintage Pioneer silver. It has been called a massive power amp masquerading as a receiver by several audio review techs. Sure, it's not the most powerful amp, but at the time, it was the most powerful Pioneer you could buy for home use. You are entitled to your opinion, Jeff, but if you have heard a 1980, please, by all means, enlighten us with the circumstances of your listening experience. I'm curious. :scratch2:
 
I have heard several. I have also heard the 1250, which I prefer. Not a "review" giving guy, so you will hear no words like "palpable", "spatial", "tinge", etc :)
 
I'm not asking for your review, just the circumstances surrounding your experience listening to the 1980. Was the 1980 freshly re-capped or an original unit? What speakers, placement, orientation, EQ'd or not EQ'd, etc, ya know what I mean?

I wanna hear your "proof in the pudding", so to speak. :)
 
As Fisherdude said, it's now a collectable thing now. Even if it out and out sounded like crap- the drive for these things is likely far removed from the utility as that of hi-fi gear. The car example is a perfect metaphor. As a car the vintage $5,000,000 Ferrari is inferior in a million ways to say a $100,000 new performance car. The car is no longer a car but a work of art. I wouldn't exactly call a 1980 that, but apparantly enough people want them for reasons best known to them.
 
No, of course the 1980 isn't a work of art, it's "Audio Jewelry" :D

I can see it now, perched atop a marble pedestal, slowly rotating in the glow of perfectly placed spotlights, while, somewhere out of sight behind a curtain, a Yorx all-in-one plays "Stairway to Heaven" through a pair of Thrusters...:stupid:
 
I can see it now, perched atop a marble pedestal, slowly rotating in the glow of perfectly placed spotlights, while, somewhere out of sight behind a curtain, a Yorx all-in-one plays "Stairway to Heaven" through a pair of Thrusters...:stupid:

:lmao:

duffman.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom