• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

SX 1980 with box...how high will it go?

I can see it now, perched atop a marble pedestal, slowly rotating in the glow of perfectly placed spotlights, while, somewhere out of sight behind a curtain, a Yorx all-in-one plays "Stairway to Heaven" through a pair of Thrusters...:stupid:
To each his own.... I guess. :rolleyes:
 
I never got the appeal of the 1980. At least, for that kind of money. I grant it is pretty, and looks very impressive. But I owned it and a 1250 at the same time (both fully serviced by the same tech) and I so greatly preferred the 1250, there was just no comparison. I did like the meters on the 1980 tho.

The 1980 lasted about a week in my system, then was sold for a very nice profit.
 
To all those who don't get the SX-1980, this was the model pimply window shoppers lusted for back in the day. Now that they are successful professionals, nothing is going to stop them from touching the sky and bringing home a "new" SX-1980. Judging by how many 1980's are still around, they must have sold very well when new.

True, it is not the best sounding Monster Receiver AND it may not even be the best sounding Pioneer receiver to boot. (Former 1980 x3 and 1250 owner here.) However, the outrageous size (78 pounds) and the beautiful presentation (real walnut veneer and trim make the WC-124 look cheap) still draw attention today compared to the austere looking competition. When I had 1980's in my display shelf, it was usually the Monster my guests looked at first.
 
I too have compared the 1250/5590 to the 1980. Differences are negligible at best. I concluded this after running 30 different pairs of speakers between them. Boy did I have fun moving speakers around.

All the 70's Silver is "audio jewelry"
 
What ya talkin' bout, Sam? The WC-124 IS walnut veneer as well, and it covers from front to rear, while the 1980's only covers half of it.
 
What ya talkin' bout, Sam? The WC-124 IS walnut veneer as well, and it covers from front to rear, while the 1980's only covers half of it.

Ha! I have a reproduction wrap-around case for my 2600 and it looks far better than the three-piece versions.
 
Yes, I agree with you there, the 143 is a pretty one, but IMO, it is not friendly in terms of airflow that the monsters require, especially if a 2385 is wearing one, since the heat sinks are on one side, and not where the vents of the case are at all. Those things act like wool blankets on a hot summer day.

Anyways, that 1980 is going to bring someone some joy, high price and all. ;)
 
Its funny to watch these threads progress :D I am not certain but I bet I have seen at least 10-12 of these type of threads concerning a SX-1980 in NM condition with orig box and the astronomical prices they bring.

I in fact sold one a few years ago that was every bit as nice as this one is with the original box packing owners manual service manual etc for $2000.00 even and I felt it should have brought more not because it sounded better than my Spec-1 Spec-2 combo but because of the sheer demand for these TOTL units, nothing suprises me much anymore when it comes to the prices that certain coveted audio items bring. Heres a few quick pics of mine.

Pioneer.jpg

20110219205714679.jpg

Picture20002.jpg




REGARDS JIM
 
i have heard stories of money laundering going on with overly high price items ..not saying this is the case here but i believe it does happen
 
It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some people may not think it is better sounding than the SX1250, others swear by them. People buy things for many reasons beside performance. I have 2 SX1980's but I also have 3 SX1250's, a SX5590 and 2 SX1280's. I just like having them.
 
I think the key to this auction is the very large bold type font that says "Worldwide shipping". These things are rarer than hens teeth in many parts of the world outside the US (and, presumably, Japan, although I do not know that for a fact). In the US, the price it's already going for seems very high. I absolutely adore my SX-1980, but I bought mine completely restored/recapped/rebuilt for $1,800.

There is a decent condition SX-1980 that's been on eBay for $3K for like 6 months and hasn't ever sold. This one is going overseas, I would bet dollars to donuts.
 
I think the key to this auction is the very large bold type font that says "Worldwide shipping". These things are rarer than hens teeth in many parts of the world outside the US (and, presumably, Japan, although I do not know that for a fact). In the US, the price it's already going for seems very high. I absolutely adore my SX-1980, but I bought mine completely restored/recapped/rebuilt for $1,800.

There is a decent condition SX-1980 that's been on eBay for $3K for like 6 months and hasn't ever sold. This one is going overseas, I would bet dollars to donuts.

as far as i know we don't have them here .but then again if they didn't get here not many people will have seen or heard about them in the first place like when they came out . i bet if i was to sell one here the price wouldn't go much past £200 . i have had on sale a sansui qr-6500 for 3 or 4 weeks and been offered £100 . in the us i see them for more than double this .. tell you what i am keeping my sa-8800 because it looks and sound the best to me ..
 
Well that puppy is at 3K right now with three days to go...............
I believe it was 6-8 months ago a Sansui G-33000 went for $4200. I will be looking at the outcome of this one :yes: This Pioneer and that Sansui are/were both mint :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom