• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-939 worth the effort?

SpinninAgain

Active Member
I might have an opportunity to pick up a SX-939. I'm not asking about price. I'll post in Dollars and cents later if I'm curious. It's a bit of a road trip to get there.

I've looked on E bay and other places around the great internet universe but I'm not seeing very much discussion about this particular model. Was it not that popular? I know it was the second in line to the mighty SX-1010 so that might explain it's absence.

I was wondering if it was the next in line was it very close in performance to the 1010?

Are there any known issues with it?

I'm not sure of it's physical condition yet. I'm thinking it's in fairly good condition.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 
Register to hide this ad
HELL YEAH!
Typical problems with the POWER Supplies (upside down and in the bottom of the unit (little to no ventilation). It's basically a 1010 with a smaller amplifier board in it. 70W vs 100 or 110W depending on which spec's you read. I currently have a 939 I restored, and had a 1010 before that. I happen to like the 939 better than the 1010. It flies under the radar compared to the 1010, but it'll play above it's weight class if it is rebuilt right. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/another-939-rebuild-thread.494501/
 
They’re fine, I just don’t like the pushbutton design and the trim bezel often loses paint around the buttons. Selector lights are a pain to replace and the controls will need a lot of deoxit—the pushbuttons are good at dropping channels.
 
I've restored a few 939's, good units but I'd get something from the SX-x2x or x5x line instead honestly. If your sig is correct, the 750 you have in my opinion is just as good.

Heck, if you're in the Twin Cities you may be buying one I restored.
 
@larryderouin @EastPoint @ivandezande Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I won't be getting it after all. I was supposed to have the day off but that changed last minute. :(

If your sig is correct, the 750 you have in my opinion is just as good.
I do have the Sx-750. And it is a nice receiver. I was thinking of passing the 939 on to somebody. It's not a local piece. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to go look at it and I won't have the time after work.

It's probably a good thing as I don't really want to get "The Look" for bringing home ANOTHER "piece of ....":wtf: The SX-990 I picked up a while back is still under the bed. SSSHHHh!
 
If she finds it, you can always blame trolls, Menahune's, or Evil Leprechauns! :biggrin::biggrin:
 
I've only heard positive reviews of the SX-939. If it sounds as good, or better, than my restored SX-737, it's definitely worth the effort.
 
A lot of it depends on the "price of admission" and the 2 1/2 hr drive to go fetch it. Pictures can only tell you so much (in terms of condition).
 
Hi
I have just got a Pioneer SX 939 and here is the problem: Sound outputs from both Tape 1 and Tape 2 are equal and excellent in both channels but outputs from Aux, Phono 1,2 and Tunes are very good in right channel but very faint and distorted from left channel. So far I checked the DC offset and idle current they are fine. I cleaned and lubed volume, balance pot and bass, treble, switches. One more observation the sound from both tapes are equal and excellent from speakers but if I listen through headphones, again I got sound from only right channel. Nothing in left ear!
I am handy with soldering and have multimeter.
Any help would be great!
Thank you
 
DeOxit the FUNCTION SWITCHES repeatedly. If it goes Round and Round, Up/Down, or IN/OUT, it's got contacts and gets cleaned. You may have to get in and dis-Assemble each one and manually clean it. These switches are the Bane of the 838,939, & 1010. Also Physically scrub the Headphone jack contacts. But I'm betting the Function Switches are your #1 problem.
 
Thanks Larry! These are push button switches and I already cleaned it and I will do it again tonight and post the result.
 
I have had a lot of issues with SX-939 pushbuttons. You really have to douse them with Deoxit and work them back and forth a ton.
 
Tape Monitor 1, Tape Monitor 2, and the other flip switches are all in the SIGNAL PATH and MUST BE CLEANED.
 
Tape Monitor 1, Tape Monitor 2, and the other flip switches are all in the SIGNAL PATH and MUST BE CLEANED.
Larry thanks a lot for all of your help. After extensively cleaning all of the switches with D5 it is singing perfectly!!! For the push switches, I had to take out the board and then cleaning with gallons of D5 it started working. Should I also put faderlube in push switches? I sprayed it in all other switches.
Power amp assembly is not hot at all after 1 hr running but the power supply board is quite hot. I am thinking to rebuild the power supply board, protection assembly, preamp. Also, want to do recapping of phono board. All those boards are quite easily accessible to work. Any further advice on this will be very helpful.
Thank you all for the advice and help!
 
I would like to replace some resistors in the power supply board near the heatsink area. Resistors from any manufacturer ok or I should use from some particular manufacturer?
Thanks
 
I would like to replace some resistors in the power supply board near the heatsink area. Resistors from any manufacturer ok or I should use from some particular manufacturer?
Thanks
Any.....ratings matter, who made it doesn't. Yageo, Vishay, and Panasonic are the brands I use often.
 
Back
Top Bottom