• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tangent 500

Johnlw7

Active Member
I was wondering if anyone has heard the tangent 500.If so how does it compare to the original Forte?
 
Register to hide this ad
Tangent Vs. Forte

I will get right to the point, the tangent 500 is a terible speaker, I am not sure why. The driver are basically the same as a Heresy II except for the addition of the passive radiator.
I was able to A-B my pair against both the Forte and the Forte II, both were far superior to the Tangent, so now my Tangents are just spare parts.
If you could get a killer deal on them, say $200.00 or less, they may be worth looking into, possibly crossover mods would bring them in line.
 
I've never heard the Tangents, but like you said the 500 and 400 are using the same drivers so I would never anticipate them sounding like crap...any description of what specifically might be wrong? I wonder if maybe a new crossover or internal damping of some kind might be in order?

That said, I built a reversible ported mod for the heresy a long time ago. Basically, it's a seat for the heresy to sit in that increases the rear cabinet volume and ports it to achieve a frequency response similar to that of the cornwall - it's just less sensitive. I never had good results with the modification though...I thought maybe it was the lack of internal damping and reflections making their way out the port, but I'm not sure if that is the only thing that could be blaimed. I just don't think that woofer is good for porting...perhaps too unloaded below the crossover point, introducing a crap load of frequency modulation???

I think I would prefer the Forte as well...especially the Forte II.
 
Who,

I did a ported enclosure using the K24 driver too. It goes nicely down to 30 Hz like yours did. The midrange is a K55 on a small version of my Trachorn. I found that the upper bass reigon has a sag that I can't explain. The speaker is fine for my home theater but suren't isn't audioophile quality.

I had to go look up the Tangent 500 on the Klipsch web site. They must not have sold many of them. I had never even heard of it!

Al k.
 
I will get right to the point, the tangent 500 is a terible speaker, I am not sure why. The driver are basically the same as a Heresy II except for the addition of the passive radiator.
I was able to A-B my pair against both the Forte and the Forte II, both were far superior to the Tangent, so now my Tangents are just spare parts.
If you could get a killer deal on them, say $200.00 or less, they may be worth looking into, possibly crossover mods would bring them in line.

Sorry to bring an old topic up, but i just could not stand such unfair comment - I have these speakers, as well as I have few others - starting from Technics SB-M5, and Yamahas NS-645, up to Boston Acoustics top NR speakers, and I must say, that up to date Klipsch is still my main pair, while much more expensive Bostons are only in the Bedroom for time to time listening. To say more - I have not heard to date such a punchy, but to the same time not overwhelming bass and such nice and airy highs... Vocals are just fantastic with those speakers, it's like you are seating in the concert hall. Technics SB-M5 was the pair to be more or less in the same League, though not in terms of bass.

My few cents ;)
 
The speaker itself actually has very good components. The cabinet construction is flawed. I bought a pair knowing I will be building full cabinets for these speakers. I bet with the proper cabinet, they will shine and be right up there with Fortes.
 
My experience with the Tangent series comes by way of the Tangent 30 model. I owned those and a set of KG4 concurrently for many years. I had the opportunity I A/B them from time to time. I also would switch either pair back and forth as my daily driver. In my opinion there are more major similarities between the Tangent 30 and KG4 than there are differences. The T30 was a bit more efficient and the KG4 had more low frequency extension. Both had similarly clean mids and highs.
For whatever reason I think the Tangent models get an undeserved bad rap.
 
I had either Tangent 500 or 5000

I had to reglue my cabinets and add extra braces. I also glued & stapled carpet padding throughout the inside. Next I rebuilt/upgraded the crossover parts and upgraded the wiring & connectors.
I ended up with a totally different speaker that was so much better than the original. Still there was that spike in the upper midrange that got me to end up selling them. If I knew how to even out that spike, then I would still have them. They would rock!

Larry
 
Back
Top Bottom