• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

Another thing all will pretty much agree with, is there's a lot of new "junk" floating around out there, for big dollars!

We all come here to share, and trade experiences, and knowledge. We can all agree, that by reading a top audiophile sale catalog (I won't give any names, to perhaps "protect" the guilty), it is of course, everything they sell, is of always top flight, cutting edge, and they are the very thing that "you need so badly, to convert your $59 Turntable, into a $40,000 Walker Proscenium Diamond Table"!

Dumb things like clocks you put on top your speakers, M+M's even, magnetic crap you wave over your LP's cause there's (supposedly) metal in them thier darn PVC Sheets of "Music".

I can of course understand (and agree with) tweaks such as Turntable wall shelves, or even getting the complete part of an Analog system entirely out of the listening room, to lower noise floor, and acoustic interactions-detriments.

Would I place a $3,000 Benz Micro Ruby, or Benz LP Cartridge on a Technics 1200 Table? You sure bet I'd try it, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I did so on a Denon DD Table of mine, and was pretty happy at the results given. I want to say that I did go through great lengths, with a bunch of good tools to use, and this was of much benefit.

Of course my Denon does now sport an Audioquest PT-8 Arm, something not commonly found on a vintage DP-2550 Denon Turntable, this Arm is not in all reality, really very special, it is a pretty good Arm, but nowhere near being called in any sense of the word "world class".

I consider my customized VPI HW-19 MK-IV Table to be a very good one, and might compete with much more expensive VPI offerings, but was surprised just how well the Denon stacked up in comparison.

Another shortfall of Analog, is the Phono Stage.
One cannot of course expect world class sound, when something downline (phono stage) is lacking.

Again, I suspect that there are many good MM Phono Stages that don't cost an Arm+Leg, and combined with a great MM Cartridge, just might give the multi-$k MC's a really good run for the money! Mark
(PS: Yeah, every once, and awhile, I'm capable of sharing some decent info! :-)) lol
 
Last edited:
Your right, I missed that, thanks.

I see you also own the same TT.

Think I will pick one up now. Now I have to decide on what cartridge to match it with.

Well bought the M5G with a AT440MLA cart. looking forward to playing some of my favorite vinyl!
 
OK.....now let me get this straight...

Does the stock sl1200 mk2 come from the factory with the 17 oz mat?

The 1210 m5g comes with a bettter tonearm wand and OFC wiring?

What type of mat is on the 1210m5g?

Thanks for your help on this as I'd like to pull the trigger on one of these models.

Anything else you can think of would be helpful!
 
Dustcover for SL-1210M5G

OK.....now let me get this straight...

Does the stock sl1200 mk2 come from the factory with the 17 oz mat?

The 1210 m5g comes with a bettter tonearm wand and OFC wiring?

What type of mat is on the 1210m5g?

Thanks for your help on this as I'd like to pull the trigger on one of these models.

Anything else you can think of would be helpful!

Does it come with ANY accessories like a dustcover , cables or other items?
 
I can confirm that the MK2 comes with the thick rubber mat and hinged dustcover.

I believe some of the models with the specificly DJ-oriented features come with both a felt mat and the thinner rubber mat, and the dustcover hinges need to be purchased separately.
 
Last edited:
Does it come with ANY accessories like a dustcover , cables or other items?

the M5G comes with a dust cover but no hinges a hinge kit can be acquired at KAB

http://kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm
hinge.jpg


OK.....now let me get this straight...

Does the stock sl1200 mk2 come from the factory with the 17 oz mat?

The 1210 m5g comes with a bettter tonearm wand and OFC wiring?

What type of mat is on the 1210m5g?

Thanks for your help on this as I'd like to pull the trigger on one of these models.

Anything else you can think of would be helpful!

Comes with the thin 1/8" mat dont know what the weight is.
Can be upgraded to a Super 1/4" (recommended) also from KAB

Comes with an upgraded (better) tonearm and OFC hi grade tonearm wiring.
Upgraded RCA Phono Cables also Hi-Fi

Other items:
45 rpm adapter
Overhang gauge for cart alignment
Auxiliary Tonearm counter weight for heaver carts and headshells (12g or over)
3g spacer weight for light cartridges
Auxiliary headshell weight (m5g only)
Headshell and leads (I think is a POS) but that's me. I like this one
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=LPGZHEAD&Category_Code=HEADSHELLS
DJ felt slip mat (not needed for audiophile)
No bearing oil (recommend getting some soon after setting up the table)

M5G manual link
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SL1210M5G.PDF
 
Last edited:
OK.....now let me get this straight...

Does the stock sl1200 mk2 come from the factory with the 17 oz mat?

The 1210 m5g comes with a bettter tonearm wand and OFC wiring?

What type of mat is on the 1210m5g?

Thanks for your help on this as I'd like to pull the trigger on one of these models.

Anything else you can think of would be helpful!

I've been informed the RCA wires are an upgrade too.

As for the arm, please read way below...

Does it come with ANY accessories like a dustcover , cables or other items?

Cables are built in. Dustcover comes with it. Usually no hinges but hingeless "plates". See below...

I can confirm that the MK2 comes with the thick rubber mat and hinged dustcover.

I believe some of the models with the specificly DJ-oriented features come with both a felt mat and the thinner rubber mat, and the dustcover hinges need to be purchased separately.

I've heard of some with hinge covers factory- but maybe it's a fluke?

...Comes with an upgraded (better) tonearm and OFC hi grade tonearm wiring.
Upgraded RCA Phono Cables also Hi-Fi

...

The tone arm wand- is it truly upgraded? Or just satin finished?

This is one question I can't seem to get a solid answer on.

If "upgraded" is just the satin finish, and not some sort of metallurgy re-composition, then the stock 1200s can be modified by the user relatively easy.
 
Thanks AutoBot

Great overview - I don't think you missed a thing!
Looks like they include about everything with the unit.
Thank You!
 
The tone arm wand- is it truly upgraded? Or just satin finished?

This is one question I can't seem to get a solid answer on.

If "upgraded" is just the satin finish, and not some sort of metallurgy re-composition, then the stock 1200s can be modified by the user relatively easy.

Yes it is upgraded.
It has "a static lateral tonearm damping system. This is for dj use and perhaps archival 78 RPM shallow grooves. It has no use in hi fi applications."
Quote from KAB
and if you get a fluid damper it has to be removed anyway.

but also comes with upgraded tonearm wiring IMO equal to a Cardas rewire.
I also believe the satin finish as opposed to the polished finish actually effects the tone quality...but really I can not prove it, I just believe/think it does.
 
I think the only thing needed is a cartridge/stylus.

The headshell is good to start with (and good for many to continue with) but like anything else can be upgraded.

Asimuth adjustable carts are a good choice.

Better headshell leads are not pricey for an upgrade.

Let me re-phrase that. Upgraded headshell wires start at a nominal cost for quite an upgrade, and go stratospheric when you get into really high-end and upper echelon wires...

...like the kind woven from the merkins of royalty's Castrati...
 
Yes it is upgraded.
It has "a static lateral tonearm damping system. This is for dj use and perhaps archival 78 RPM shallow grooves. It has no use in hi fi applications."
Quote from KAB
and if you get a fluid damper it has to be removed anyway.

but also comes with upgraded tonearm wiring IMO equal to a Cardas rewire.
I also believe the satin finish as opposed to the polished finish actually effects the tone quality...but really I can not prove it, I just believe/think it does.

Thanks- finally the riddle solved. Much appreciated!

Indeed the satin finish may or may not have resonant/tonal improvements, but for the handy and budget minded, one can do the same with shrink tubing and some Cardas wire. The Cardas can be had as cheap as under $3 a foot each piece.



KAB thinks the Cardas wire is an improvement, but I'd not sweat it if anyone gets a M5G, as it's gotta be 80-90% close to the Cardas in my opinion and not worth the $80-$100 companies charge as a premium for the re-wire.
 
Thanks- finally the riddle solved. Much appreciated!

Indeed the satin finish may or may not have resonant/tonal improvements, but for the handy and budget minded, one can do the same with shrink tubing and some Cardas wire. The Cardas can be had as cheap as under $3 a foot each piece.



KAB thinks the Cardas wire is an improvement, but I'd not sweat it if anyone gets a M5G, as it's gotta be 80-90% close to the Cardas in my opinion and not worth the $80-$100 companies charge as a premium for the re-wire.
:yes:

I totally agree.
 
...like the kind woven from the merkins of royalty's Castrati...
Those castrati are pretty tough to come by these days (I do know a couple of counter tenors, not quite the same thing and they're no doubt grateful for that). There exists a recording or two of the last in existence before they bit the dust, but I think that any merkins they might have possessed will have been relegated to one of the kinkier museums by now. Yep, that sort of lead must be really worth the $$$.
 
Now what's this? I am seeing MK5G and M5G as models.

One is Amazon the other is PCNation. :tears:

Don't worry. Typos.

As long as it has the blue LEDs and the +/- 8/16% pitch adjustment (the standard models are +/- 8%) then it's an M5G (or miss-spelled (?) as MK5G).

NOTE- the +/- pitch adjustable to 16% is geared, once again, to DJs. I don't ever touch the +/- 8% pitch so this is pretty much overkill.
 
Back
Top Bottom