• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

And while we are at it what are we recommending for the 1200 and especially the 1210M5G for a new Cartridge?

The range of cartridges that will work well on the Technics 1200 series is wide and deep. I'd suggest all but the very lowest compliance cartridges, and even some of those can be made to work with some effort. I've used the following cartridges with success:

- Shure M97xE
- Shure M95ED
- Shure M97HE
- Ortofon OM-20/30
- Ortofon/KAB OM 30 Pro
- Stanton 881S/Pickering XSV-3000
- Ortofon Kontrapunkt A
- Audio Technica AT-30E
- Denon 103 w/wood body

Of these, the Kontrapunkt and the Stanton / Pickering have given me the greatest enjoyment. But that's just based on my ear and tastes. Others have used a great many other cartridges on this table with success. Truly, just about any cartridge of high to medium low compliance will work great.
 
when you are standing near your 1200 and right when you take a sip of your drink and someone tells you a joke that makes you laugh, and you spit your drink all over your 1200, thats a sticky. ya know what stucco is? its what you get when you sit on gummo......i'm here all week....
 
when you are standing near your 1200 and right when you take a sip of your drink and someone tells you a joke that makes you laugh, and you spit your drink all over your 1200, thats a sticky. ya know what stucco is? its what you get when you sit on gummo......i'm here all week....


A sticky is when you buy a 1200MK2 off of fleecebay for $125 and it's got dried up, stuck on, "I darn sure hope it's coffee" stuck on the plinth, under the platter and keeping the pop-up light locked down...

Then after clean up, small tonearm fix and a new pop-up lamp... IT BECOMES YOUR MAIN TABLE :D, with a motor that's still right on it and sounds great. I almost feel guilty, like I should add all kinds of tweaks, just to say I spent more on it... ...nah.

Ya just can't kill these things... ...DJ's and club hoppers try real hard, though... like... really hard!!!
 
Buy it a cartridge, some nice vinyl. Talk to it in loving tones as you set it up. Grab your favorite libation when done, put on a nice record and enjoy new worlds of sound as you drink it in. Rinse, repeat, and enjoy! :tresbon: Music, the world's only sensual pleasure without vice:D
 
If I was limited to only three brands of cartridge for my SL1200 Mk2 they would be:

1. Denon

2. Denon

3. Denon

Just have to decide which one, even the cheapest DL-110 is excellent IMO.
 
Got the Sticky answer

Now I get it. Makes sense. Actually pretty obvious except to me :scratch2:

thank you, my fellow AKers.

Rick

this thread is very informative. Mostly I'm going to keep my SL1200 Mk2 totally stock. My old ears couldn't tell the difference.

Any tweak would be overkill. The darn thing is perfect to me, and beautiful to behold. I like the all-business appearance. It's a work of art in my eyes; form follows function. :yes:
 
Now I get it. Makes sense. Actually pretty obvious except to me :scratch2:

thank you, my fellow AKers.

Rick

this thread is very informative. Mostly I'm going to keep my SL1200 Mk2 totally stock. My old ears couldn't tell the difference.

Any tweak would be overkill. The darn thing is perfect to me, and beautiful to behold. I like the all-business appearance. It's a work of art in my eyes; form follows function. :yes:


Rick- glad you are satisfied with the 1200. It indeed is a fine table.
Enjoy!
 
Now I get it. Makes sense. Actually pretty obvious except to me :scratch2:

thank you, my fellow AKers.

Rick

this thread is very informative. Mostly I'm going to keep my SL1200 Mk2 totally stock. My old ears couldn't tell the difference.

Any tweak would be overkill. The darn thing is perfect to me, and beautiful to behold. I like the all-business appearance. It's a work of art in my eyes; form follows function. :yes:

Yeah, it'd be hard to not be impressed with a standard. Not trying to debate or anything like that, but if your other equipment amp, pre, speakers. Except playing to a low hertz, then making sure you have good isolation coupled with that overly priced KAB damper, are certainly hearable and feelable by anyone. The secret of the record, over cd's is it holds this information. I personally like when it's brought forward. Enjoy!
 
Back
Top Bottom