• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

Don't worry. Typos.

As long as it has the blue LEDs and the +/- 8/16% pitch adjustment (the standard models are +/- 8%) then it's an M5G (or miss-spelled (?) as MK5G).

NOTE- the +/- pitch adjustable to 16% is geared, once again, to DJs. I don't ever touch the +/- 8% pitch so this is pretty much overkill.

Thanks...those typos can really be a headache. I tried PCNation and its almost impossible to get through. I like that price but they are a sourcing outfit I think. Fine with me but I don't know where it's coming from. I wanted to place the three day order so I could have it Friday. Oh well...
Patience :sigh:
 
My 1210 M5G shipped today from PCnation for $416.00 and free shipping. Also have Shure M97xe on the way! Can't wait!:banana:
 
I just got a new Technics 1200MK2 and currently have a Shure m97xe cartridge on it. I have an older Shure V-15 III cartridge with an Ed Saunders upgraded stylus (but not the Jico) that I could take off another turntable that I have.

Is it worth putting the V-15 on the table? Is either cartridge a better math for the Technics than the other?
 
I just got a new Technics 1200MK2 and currently have a Shure m97xe cartridge on it. I have an older Shure V-15 III cartridge with an Ed Saunders upgraded stylus (but not the Jico) that I could take off another turntable that I have.

Is it worth putting the V-15 on the table? Is either cartridge a better math for the Technics than the other?

Jeff, let me say this are you unhappy with the sound of the 97xE on the Technics?
I have a V15 Type III and its on an ST-7 right now. I would love to hear it on the Technics. And while we are at it what are we recommending for the 1200 and especially the 1210M5G for a new Cartridge?
 
Last edited:
I just got a new Technics 1200MK2 and currently have a Shure m97xe cartridge on it. I have an older Shure V-15 III cartridge with an Ed Saunders upgraded stylus (but not the Jico) that I could take off another turntable that I have.

Is it worth putting the V-15 on the table? Is either cartridge a better math for the Technics than the other?

Hello Jeff,
This is just my opinion, probably many will agree, maybe some will not.

Yes, I believe strongly, that the V-15 Type III is perhaps the very best Cartridge that Shure ever made, period. Not that the Type IV, and then the later Type V, and VxMR were slouches in any sense, but perhaps the best description I can give about those, is that they were voiced slightly differently, and they as well have thier proponents-fans.

Some like the better Ed Saunders offerings. I cannot personally comment, never having bought a replacement from him, but the majority concensus is, that the JICO SAS for the Type III has little, to no peer, even perhaps against the no longer made Shure Factory VN35MR (micro-ridge) Stylus, and should be a serious future consideration with your Type III aboard your Technics Table.

I don;t think you'll be at all disappointed in the performance with this great combination of Table, Cartridge, and Stylus. Mark
 
Thanks Mark.

Your recommendation is to do what I was considering. I figured if I put the V-15 III on the table that I would go ahead and order a JICO to go on it, so I guess that's what I'll do.
 
Thanks Mark.

Your recommendation is to do what I was considering. I figured if I put the V-15 III on the table that I would go ahead and order a JICO to go on it, so I guess that's what I'll do.

Hello Jeff,
When the time comes, that you wish to purchase another new Stylus, I've found that LP Gear was reliable, and shipped very quickly. I highly recommend them as a very good USA source for the Jico Stylus replacements.

Keep in mind, that there are two top tier Jico replacements for the Shure Type III, the HE (Hyper-Elliptical) replacement, which probably identically duplicates the Shure VN35HE Stylus, and then their top of the line SAS (Super Analog Stylus), which is only another $10 in cost, and is a Line Contact-Micro Line Type Stylus, somewhat akin, to the old "Shibata" Design.

Said to be a nude, polished, octahedral shank, the SAS Stylus is mounted on a Solid Boron Rod Cantilever, and appears to be then sleeved to the remainder of either a Beryllium, or Aluminum Cantilever Shaft.

Commonly, such Styli profiles play deeper-further in the groove, are subject to less wear to both the Stylus, and the record groove itself, due to better sidewall contact, often exhibit less groove noise, typically can make even older records sound much more quiet, and like new.

The extremely thin stylus side profile, seems to as well get through the music quicker, less lag time, less bass bloat, and even seems that there is less pickup of pops, and ticks. The world's finest Moving Coils usually have such a Stylus type onboard.

In comparison to less radical Stylus profiles, these Stylus types usually have a tendency to be a bit more finnicky, and critical to proper set up, and careful attention should be paid to exacting Cartridge Alignment, to proper VTF, VTA, Anti-Skate, Azimuth Angle.

They will also have a tendency to dig out more dirt-crud from a record's grooves, since the Stylus fits so much better into the groove, and may require more attention to record cleanliness and to stylus cleanliness, and maintainence. Something that should be done anyway regardless. Mark
 
Last edited:
i tried to find somewhere here that sells the mx97e so i could just have one now, then return my amazon cart to the store once it arrives. I couldn't find a single place here that has them.
 
i tried to find somewhere here that sells the mx97e so i could just have one now, then return my amazon cart to the store once it arrives. I couldn't find a single place here that has them.

Our local Stereo Shop has only Grado in stock but they are getting to the point where they have to order anything good these days. Most places just don't have the cash for inventory and online is so easy to do. I agree, I miss being able to go out locally to get some stuff. It's fun and I don't like waiting. But I have to admit if I wake up the next day and still don't have something I have second thoughts.
 
Our local Stereo Shop has only Grado in stock but they are getting to the point where they have to order anything good these days. Most places just don't have the cash for inventory and online is so easy to do. I agree, I miss being able to go out locally to get some stuff. It's fun and I don't like waiting. But I have to admit if I wake up the next day and still don't have something I have second thoughts.

I'm more impatient than anything else. I was fine when I was expecting both the turntable and cartridge to arrive sometime next week. However, Provantage sent the TT and it got here in two days, which was a nice, but ironic surprise. I called some local stores here and most places had only DJ/scratch carts. Now I'm waiting like patience on a monument.
 
I'm more impatient than anything else. I was fine when I was expecting both the turntable and cartridge to arrive sometime next week. However, Provantage sent the TT and it got here in two days, which was a nice, but ironic surprise. I called some local stores here and most places had only DJ/scratch carts. Now I'm waiting like patience on a monument.

Its worse than waiting for ketchup to pour from a bottle :tears:
 
Funny how conventional wisdom changes over time.

I was perusing threads on the 1200 on another forum that is also havinfga SL-1200 renaissance and the further back you go the more negative the rhetoric is about Technics tables. One post from '00 referred to Technics tables as 'Direct Drive Plasticrap'. Even worse, the posts are written with such authority as though everybody knows the 1200 is not that great a table, run to entry level Rega/Pro-ject/MH post-post-haste!:whip:

What a difference 10 years makes.:tongue:
 
Back
Top Bottom