• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1200MK2 vs SL-1210MK2 vs SL-1210MG5

Jim Creek

Jazz, Wine, Electronics
Technics SL-1200MK2 vs SL-1210MK2 vs SL-1210MG5 ?

I know the SL-1210 is switchable between 110v and 220v

What are the other differences between these models?
 
Register to hide this ad
The 5 gives you LED lights and removes the notch at the ' 0 ' mark on the speed / tone adjustment slider (to make beat matching easier)
 
I believe the M5G (or MG5?) has the better interconnects and tonearm wiring as well as a better arm wand metal. They also have a more fine pitch controller.
 
I have owned all 3, the M5G is the best one, unless you throw in the SL-1200GLD which I also own. The M5G has a titanium tonearm and a black metal flake paint job. It has the pitch control numbers illuminated, the pitch control is digital and does 8% and 16%. It also has the better tone arm wires. It also has a pitch reset button that locks the pitch at 33.3 or 45. The MK5 has the rest button also but the pitch only goes to 8% and is not digital. The mk2 doesn't have the reset button. They all have a LED for the popup light except for the MK2 which has a regular bulb that sooner or later will burn out. Technically the M5G is supposed to sound better than the others, but I can't hear any difference, it might be just my hearing, or my system, or the fact that I have no way to switch them fast enough to do a comparison. The 1210 is a black version of the MK2, but not all of them have the 220v switch.
 
It also has a pitch reset button that locks the pitch at 33.3 or 45. The MK5 has the rest button also but the pitch only goes to 8% and is not digital. The mk2 doesn't have the reset button.

The reset button has the same function as the center notch on the MK2 which locks the speed to 33.3 or 45, the Mk3/Mk5 only has a button so you can quickly reset it for beatmatching purposes. 90% of the added features on the MK5 were designed for DJ's so I think it's an unecessary expense for normal record playing, the upgrades can be done easy enough to a Mk2 should you desire them and IMO the glossy metal flake finish is eugh.
 
Back
Top Bottom