• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

technics sl 220 ?

Flammaster

DrumCorpsZappaFreak
so is it a decent table? I am having ground issues with my Marantz and need a new table till I get it fixed.
 
Register to hide this ad
I used to have a 220, nice belt drive, semi auto table. I did have some issues with keeping the speed every once in a while, probably from sticky pots.

They have very nice and springy feet which prevents alot of ground and outside vibration from interfering with playback.

you shouldnt need to pay more than 60, $70 for one of those, cartridge included
 
I picked up one of these last summer at GW - $10, plus cart.De-oxited the pots, new belt, but I have to get a new strobe bulb for it. The arm seems SWEET, but the base is a little cheap. I think this was their entry-level for 1978. Easy to work on, also. Love mine.:music:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
I've had one since new (1976?) and it has some speed issues now but I've always loved it.

I'll be fixing it soon hopefully; it's not BOTL, there's one model lower with no auto return.

I feel it's one of the best budget tables from that era.

I actually picked up another for parts recently.

If the price is right you can't go wrong!!!!
 
I picked up one of these last summer at GW - $10, plus cart.De-oxited the pots, new belt, but I have to get a new strobe bulb for it. The arm seems SWEET, but the base is a little cheap. I think this was their entry-level for 1978. Easy to work on, also. Love mine.:music:
For that price I'd get it, otherwise.. Neh.
 
I got one a year or so ago. I would definitely say BOTL. The series that is. Cheaper plastic plinth. It was ok, but my other Mid 70's tables are better. I have an SL-23 that is very similar w/belt drive. I like it alot. Unless it was cheap, I would keep looking. This is of course JMHO :yes:
 
I got it for 49 bucks on ebay. I have to fix the ground on my Marantz and Elac so I need a table. It doesn't have a cart but I have 5 on headshells ready to go. It looks like a good table for the price.

OK so I'm in the technics club the only reason I resisted is because of the silver body but when you think about it so is the face of my receiver. I'm running with my Marantz 2226B now. it's more versatile as far as sound but I still think my Sherwood sounds better over all.

I'll be getting a settlement in the fall so I think a refurbished 1200 might be in my future. I can see the build quality of those tables are incredible it's just the silver turns me off since I love a wood plinth.
 
...I can see the build quality of those tables are incredible it's just the silver turns me off since I love a wood plinth.

You have options-

The SL1210MK2 is charcoal black, not silver.

Or, for $65-$75, most body shops will spray it any automotive color you'd like, including a clear coat, as long as you've done the prep work.
 
I think it's a fine turntable -- not Technics best, but certainly not their worst. In some respects, it may be a bit nicer than a SL-23, and perhaps in others not as good. I believe the toneram is nicer on the 220.

If you look at the images of the 220 compared to the SL-23, I think you'll see what I mean.

The 220 looks like it shares the tonearm of the D2

In any case, I think you did fine if the TT works ok. These are easy to work on.

Enjoy
 
You have options-

The SL1210MK2 is charcoal black, not silver.

Or, for $65-$75, most body shops will spray it any automotive color you'd like, including a clear coat, as long as you've done the prep work.



"Mr Lundergaard you lied to me" "well yea but that clear coat...dog gone it"

hahahahahaha
 
For the entry level series of Technics tables in that era, I always thought the SL-23 was better build than the ones that succeeded it, like the SL-220, but maybe that's because I owned one, who knows.
 
Just got mine back up & running; it's nice and quiet & the speed is dead on now.

Set it up with an XLM mkII improved and it sounds fantastic!

You'll enjoy the table.
 
I'd call it more than decent. I have its fully-automatic brandmate, the SL-230, and I'm very satisfied with it. The base may seem cheap, but that engineering resin (plastic) that Technics chose does a great job of suppressing resonance. The arm bearings are low-friction, the geometry is good, and the effective mass matches a wide variety of cartridges. The drive system has very low wow and flutter, runs precisely on speed, and doesn't have an unshielded AC magnetic field to induce hum in Grado cartridges. What's not to like?

I paid $25 plus shipping for mine on that auction site, spent an hour or so getting the automatic mechanism working and cleaning the pots, and have had zero problems with it. I replaced the belt a year ago because I started hearing just a trace of flutter, and I can report that the new belt completely cured the problem.
 
I got it today and hooked it up. used several cartridges on it and all of them sounded really good but my Realistic/Shure R-27 really stands out on it as it has a punchy bass for jazz and some bright highs. Really good cart for acoustic jazz. I tried my Stanton 681 with shibata that I was disappointed with on my Marantz 6100. Really detailed sounding!

This is a nicer sounding deck than my Marantz for sure!

I do want to put the Realistic/Shure on my elac 10 though I think it would make me want to play it more but I still have to get the ground fixed on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom