• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-D2 vs Dual 1228

pamfletty

Active Member
Hi,

I currently spin records on a Technics SL-D2. I have the chance of buying a Dual 1228 in good working order for $40. Would this be an upgrade comparing to the SL-D2?

Thanx in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Apples and oranges, Dual with rim idler drive and the thin-ish straight arm vs the Technics direct-platter drive and the medium-mass 'S' arm. Either in good order should sound fine with a compatible cart that appeals to the owner. $40 isn't much if it is fully functional without problems to play with, the Techie will be long-term lower maintenance tho' either has it's own points of appeal and the Duals once properly serviced give long-term reliable enjoyment.
 
Last edited:
If the Dual has been recently cleaned and lubed and is in working order, then yes, it would be an upgrade IMO. For $40, it may not come with a cartridge. If it does, you may want to buy a new stylus if the previous owner can't verify it's life. The Technics is a direct drive semi-automatic, while the Dual is an idler drive and fully automatic. I have a 1229, which is the same table as the 1228, except that the 1229 has a built in strobe.

At the asking price, you could try the Dual and decide which one you like the best. You can always sell the Dual for what you paid for it.
 
Last edited:
I bought a Dual 1228 new in 1973 and it was my one and only turntable until I sold it in 2001. I loved that turntable. I found it very musical. I have some reel to reel tapes transcribed from it and can hear what a good job it did.

There are things I like about it, especially the lightweight tonearm and the arm suspension system. I also liked the heavy platter.

There are some things that I didn't care for. It is an idler drive and you can get some rumble. I never used the automatic feature and felt is was extraneous. If you need or want to change cartridges frequently, the non standard headshell configuration can be a pain. The contacts tarnish causing noise and/or dropouts. I used the Dual to play both LP's and 78's and it was a pain to constantly clean the contacts.

Here's what I suggest. If the Dual is in good working order as you say, purchase it and try it. If you don't like it, you can easily recoup your money. If you decide to keep it, plan on sending it off for servicing. The mechanism is fiddly business and best left to those with experience. I think people have had good luck with fixmydual.com. I have no personal experience with them. The $135 standard rate is reasonable.

I'm currently using Technics DD's (SL-1500 II, SP-15 and SP-25). They are a better fit for my purposes and I think they sound as good or better than my 1228 did.
 
Buy it and try it

For 40 buck get it. I like Duals run three. But would keep a Technics if one showed up
 
Got a 1228 as my main player, sounds really good in my vintage set ups, had a bunch of different players but I liked this the best, I'd grab it and let your ears be the judge. I've had a few technics TT's and sold them, Still buying and selling the older tables looking for better sound but so far the Dual is my keeper.
YMMV though as carts and other equipment will have major impact
 
FWIW, if you keep the Dual and decide to have it refurbed, I sent both of my Duals to Bill at fixmydual.com last summer and the spa treatment was worth every penny. They should outlast me. I bought my 1229 from the original ownwer last summer. He bought it new in 1973. I bought my 1249 new in 1975, when I was 19 years old.
 
I've owned and have used a number of similar Technics and Dual turntables. IMO, there's not going to be a dramatic difference in performance or sound quality to qualify as an "upgrade." As noted in a prior post, this is somewhat an "apple & oranges" comparison.

The big advantage with the Dual is 78 RPM capability. For that reason alone, it would be worth buying.
 
Hey everyone, thanx for the input!

I contacted the seller to give me some more info on the condition of the player. He says it's been sitting in a closet for a couple of years, but he tested it and to his knowledge everything works. The 1228 also has a strobe light which he says also still works. The stylus will need replacement. I don't know, if it hasn't been played in years and just gathering dust, I can imagine it will probably need some servicing. Also the trip to pick it up would cost me around $20 in gas money.

On closer inspection of the pictures I can also see there's a rather large stain on the right side of the table (see picture).

As I read your different opinions I come to the conclusion that the Dual 1228 is a good turntable, probably a bit better then the Technics SL-D2, but wouldn't be a radical upgrade. For the price of $40 it would be a good buy, but with the servicing, gasmoney, stylus-replacement, it's no longer a $40 deal. I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

Btw, I live in Belgium, so I wouldn't be able to have it serviced by http://fixmydual.com/.

I also have my eye on a beautiful Pioneer PL530. It's cosmetically and operationally in perfect condition (see attached pictures). This will probably go for about $150. Would this table be a step forward compared to the Technics SL-D2?

Again, thanx for the info guys!
 

Attachments

  • dual.jpg
    dual.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 70
  • 138680095_1-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    138680095_1-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 138680095_2-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    138680095_2-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 43
  • 138680095-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    138680095-pioneer-pl530.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
Of the two, I'd consider the SL-D2 to be far more practical and desireable for day-in/day-out use. Never a big fan of the DUALs; awfully complicated machines.
 
Hey guys, out of the blue I was able to score a Technics SL 1200 MK2!!

Talk about an upgrade :tresbon:

This has always been my dream table, but they usually go for $500 or more around here, so I never went for it. I bought one today for $288 :music:

It has no dust cover, but I can get that for $45. So $333 is a good deal!

Oh, it's in great condition btw!

A happy camper over here!:banana:
 
i grew up using the Pioneer PL 530 , a superb machine, you can not go wrong. I am Plunging into the world of Dual ,sending a 1228 to Bill at Fix Y Dual, i am looking forward to it , i am breaking my rules and trying an automatic function , convenient but i worry there are more things ti go wrong. I love the feel and the VINTAGE looks of the Dual . If you speak to Bill you realize he a no nonsense man , had confidence he can repair and restore . i feel confident to send him the unit . Mine sat around for about 30 years m everything is locked up, controls , Platter , strobe light motor moves very slow. will report upon arrival back. I am sending him a nEW sure 97 cartridge, i can't wait toilets to it.
 
Back
Top Bottom