• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SU-8044 repair

Never mind slackers I got this last one sorted out but I have a new problem.

Resistor #R511 is scorched. I replaced it and it is getting hot and showing some volume on the meters when I put the function knob on Phono. The Service manual calls for a 1500 ohm 1 watt resistor in that spot and I replaced the old one with a 1500 ohm 1/2 watt because that is all I had on hand. Is this causing the overheating issue?

At this rate and this temp the new resistor will be fried in minutes. There is a Zener and another resistor next door.

Any idea where to go from here?

Without having a schematic to look at, I can only give a vague "something after the resistor is drawing too much current".

If the original 1W resistor fried, a 1/2W one doesn't have much hope of lasting. But the lower wattage rating is not the source of your problem.
 
Without having a schematic to look at, I can only give a vague "something after the resistor is drawing too much current".
Even the S Manual on Hifi Engine says Low Resolution next to it. I just can't read the damn this.

I'll check the transistor next door.

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom