• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

That JBL Walnut finish

Looks like they recommend using steel wool. True JBL enthusiasts should ignore my earlier suggestion to use only synthetic steel wool anywhere near speakers, and follow JBL's instructions instead.

Some folks may enjoy the scent of linseed oil. I am not among them, and find Watco oil preferable to their mix of linseed oil and turpentine. I think either will give virtually the same look.
 
so what is a good alternative to Howards?
JBL recommends a mixture of 3 parts boiled linseed oil, 1 part pure gum turpentine. I don't like the turpentine odor so I use Mineral spirits instead.
In my experience this method yelds much longer lasting results than Howards Feed-N-Wax. Howards looks ok for a few weeks, but over time seems to oxidize leaving a hazy flat finish, requiring frequent re coating.
 
So I've had several pairs, 4312's, 4313b's, 4311's, etc. and I've always loved that nice finish they all have. Here's the thing. I just got a pair of 4311's. Cabinets are in good shape but they are really dark looking. I don't want to strip the finish off. I'm hoping there is some way to CLEAN these and bring them back to that light looking appearance that they once had. A search shows your basic stripping back to nothing approach, but these don't need that.
Any ideas?

I have a pair of L-166, about the same vintage as your monitors. The walnut veneer appears to be the same color & tint.

JBL 4311 walnut veneer finish.jpg JBl L166 walnut veneer (small).jpg
 
Products sold as "furniture refinisher" are liquid strippers, basically acetone, and work well to clean the wood of dirt and deteriorated old finish. Watco Danish oil is a great finish for afterwards.

Good luck finding Bronze wool, synthetic steel wool has replaced it almost everywhere.
 
OK, let's tone down the personal jabs. You can agree to disagree, debate your preferences, advise based on your experiences & knowledge but be careful on the personal attacks - friendly banter is fine.
 
This is easy. you need to remove all the surface crap before you layer on something else. Doesn't mean "strip" them. Just use some mineral spirits with some fine grit wet dry sand paper or steel wool and wet sand them lightly then wipe them off with damp cloths to get all the gunk off. Then apply some nice Watco Natural or light walnut. Between smoke, dust, whatever else over the years combined with any layers of cheap oil etc, they are likely dull and a bit dark. Your grain will come back to life and it will reduce any of the surface scratches.
 
Not a problem anymore. I guess it's a, we'll see in the long run. Walnut with polyurethane, at least that's what my owner's manual tells me about the finish on my 4365's.
 
Hello All...

I'm just completing a speaker restoration (4333a) and I'm attempting to recreate the JBL recommended finish. The BLO/Turp mixture isn't possible because I live in the Republic of California and turp isn't sold here due to the VOCs. I'd love to hear what people's experiences are with:
  1. turp alternatives? (mineral spirits?), or
  2. no turp at all (just BLO)?
Thanks in advance.
 
Back
Top Bottom