• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Byrds-Sweetheart of the Rodeo

fishcane

Well-Known Member
Just scored a NM vinyl copy of this this AM! spinning now

0.99cents, thank you Good Will!!!!!

Hired guns or not, this album contains some great music by some great musicians!
 
Register to hide this ad
Love it. My fave Byrds album by far.

The Legacy Edition double CD has many of the tunes w/ Gram Parson's vocals, as well as some ISB stuff. Gram sounds much more sincere on the religious ditties.
 
love that record, 100 Years is a fine fine song, as Ken noted the CD with the bonus tracks is a must for fans
 
I remember buying that LP when it was first released As an avid Byrds fan I eagerly opened it, spun it up and then it was like...... WTF???

Big departure from their earlier sound.... a definite change in direction. But, I went ahead and played it a few times and it grew on me. Yes it did....

Still have it by the way.
 
I was only a year or two when it was released, but my roadie cousin made sure to introduce me to it when I was 12 or 13. That was it; I was hooked. Not sure why, but it resonated with me GREATLY, particularly “You Ain’t Going Nowhere,” which to this day remains one of my favorite all-time songs. If I want a guaranteed chill, I put that on. :thmbsp:

It’s amazing to think how dramatic a change in approach the album was for the Byrds. IMO it’s one of the great style-shifts of all-time, rivaling even the master, David Bowie himself. It’s a shame they didn’t continue with Gram, but that’s another story (and a book) altogether. :D
 
Hickory Wind is one of my favorite tracks. Hard to believe how young GP was when he putting out such timeless music.
 
I was only a year or two when it was released, but my roadie cousin made sure to introduce me to it when I was 12 or 13. That was it; I was hooked. Not sure why, but it resonated with me GREATLY, particularly “You Ain’t Going Nowhere,” which to this day remains one of my favorite all-time songs. If I want a guaranteed chill, I put that on. :thmbsp:

It’s amazing to think how dramatic a change in approach the album was for the Byrds. IMO it’s one of the great style-shifts of all-time, rivaling even the master, David Bowie himself. It’s a shame they didn’t continue with Gram, but that’s another story (and a book) altogether. :D

Amen, some albums just speak to me and this is one of em. That version of "You ain't Goin Nowhere" is FANTASTIC, 100%agreed...
 
Yeah, this is my favorite Byrds album as well. In all my years of record collecting I was never able to secure an original. Like to get one and compare it to the remaster I have.
 
Hickory Wind is what it's all about, man. From there it was onward, upward, and then downward, through hole to hell in a desolate place called Joshua Tree. The area still has a lot of bad energy. (my apologies to all the desert flora/fauna huggers and white supremacy cats reading this)
 
Hickory Wind is what it's all about, man. From there it was onward, upward, and then downward, through hole to hell in a desolate place called Joshua Tree. The area still has a lot of bad energy. (my apologies to all the desert flora/fauna huggers and white supremacy cats reading this)[/QUOTE


Drove through there a few times. It has a vibe all it's own for sure. Read some weird story about GP's body being stolen for a desert funural pyre that ended ugly. I really dig the live version of Hickory Wind (Grievous Angels LP ?) the background noise of a beer bottle hitting the floor and the drunk chick yelling out Hey Cowboy! At the song intro by GP is classic. Wish I still had my original vinyl of "Sweehert". A classic that still sounds good after over 40 years.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom