• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The death of the Music Industry

Register to hide this ad
Good analysis of that graph over at dangerousminds from a few weeks back:

http://tinyurl.com/47r6qjr

One of the more interesting things I've read about all this in a while, and why in fact this death may not be such a bad thing after all.
 
Good analysis of that graph over at dangerousminds from a few weeks back:

http://tinyurl.com/47r6qjr

One of the more interesting things I've read about all this in a while, and why in fact this death may not be such a bad thing after all.

Thanks for that link malvo. :thmbsp:

Who authored the article? :scratch2:
 
I guess I see at least part of the decline of the industry being due to the lack of decent music. In saying that I realize how subjective music is, we all like what we like. But apparently the majority of the music buying public doesn't care for much of anything that is being offered either.

I have been buying music for 50+ years and I honestly try to find newer stuff to buy, but I have just not been very successful here in the past 10 years or so. And apparently, if that chart is an accurate portrayal of the industry, many people are of the same opinion. The old saying 'there is nothing new under the sun' really applies here. I look at Lady Gaga and she truly is the reincarnation of Madonna in the the late 80s.

It really bothers me as I have seen the industry at it's very highest at which point there was almost too much new stuff to choose from, which was really kind of cool.

It's damn sad to watch this happening. But it most certainly is.
 
Anyone with half an interest in popular music these days could have seen Lady Gaga coming from a mile away. Just like Madonna, she has more nerve than talent.
 
Anyone with half an interest in popular music these days could have seen Lady Gaga coming from a mile away. Just like Madonna, she has more nerve than talent.

They named her correctly.She makes me wanna gag. :yes:
 
That chart has a couple issues.

First, it needs to be normalized for some sort of constant dollar to have any true meaning, as the value of the dollar has fluctuated. That should flatten it a bit. Units sold isn't valid either as the $0.99 downloads would run that number up.

Second, it needs to track some other metric of spending to account for the economic chaos we have suffered the past few years and the general slowing of the economy. When folks are losing jobs and can't make their mortgage payments, they aren't (well, shouldn't be) spending money on music, or giving it to their children to do the same.

I'm not saying that there aren't changes going on, but it's really hard for me to believe there's an issue when I see or hear some music related product everywhere I go. :dunno:

It's probably some RIAA related propaganda...:yes: Oh look, they're the data source...:D
 
It's probably some RIAA related propaganda...:yes:

I vote for this option. I super-hate the charts and articles that confuse RIAA based declines with all music. Virtually none of my music buying ever gets reflected in those graphs.
 
Whenever this topic is discussed there are those of the opinion that a major cause of the decline of the industry is due to lack of decent music today. I really have to say balderdash to this statement. There is as much “good” music, if not more, out there today as there ever was!! There is as much crappy music as there ever was as well.

The biggest market for music sales has always been the 15 to 30 year old demographic. Music buying declines when individuals reach age 30 or so, and many tend to think of their “generation’s” music, as being the best and all else is junk.

The music industries decline has nothing to do with the quality of the music. It has to do with a new business model, technology (file copying, online media), competing media (video games) and other factors.
 
The music industries decline has nothing to do with the quality of the music. It has to do with a new business model, technology (file copying, online media), competing media (video games) and other factors.

I'd question if there's even a decline. One has to remember, that when you choose your data, you can present any picture; whether it is an accurate, unbiased measure of what really is going on is a whole 'nuther story. FWIW, I've got a LOT of new (to me) music here, and I don't think ANY of it was purchased new last year, so all that probably isn't counted. :scratch2:

This one is based upon "RIAA end of year shipments" whatever the heck that is. I doubt it includes used sales, including eBay and other outlets, and I would consider those to be not trivial. And how about Indie and direct from artist sales??? I'm not even sure if includes downloads from places like Amazon. Without knowing what constitutes the measure, it's hard, perhaps even ludicrous, to draw any real conclusions.

Unless of course, you're selling an agenda and using select data to support your contentions....
 
Last edited:
Whenever this topic is discussed there are those of the opinion that a major cause of the decline of the industry is due to lack of decent music today. I really have to say balderdash to this statement. There is as much “good” music, if not more, out there today as there ever was!! There is as much crappy music as there ever was as well.

The biggest market for music sales has always been the 15 to 30 year old demographic. Music buying declines when individuals reach age 30 or so, and many tend to think of their “generation’s” music, as being the best and all else is junk.

The music industries decline has nothing to do with the quality of the music. It has to do with a new business model, technology (file copying, online media), competing media (video games) and other factors.
Gotta agree. I have 3 sons who have been listening to music since they were 15, their ages now are 20, 22, and 25. That computes to 22 "buying years". Between the 3 of them they haven't spent a hundred dollars on music (not including concerts). Yet their IPODs are full and always in use. And I would be willing to bet there are more than a few around here that have some illegal copies....
 
The death of a business model is not the death of music.

That's the best comment I've seen on this topic. The popular music business model has always been hopelessly unrealistic. There's no reason you can't make a living as a good musician, between say, $50k and $100k a year. But the era of even (relatively) mediocre pop musicians making millions has passed. We're seeing the death of the boom, of music as a get quick rich and retire when you're 25 scheme, but not of music or of music as a livelihood.
 
Pop music today is quite horrible to me, but the kiddies love it. It is a matter of perspective. Looking at the pop charts from the early 70's there was quite a bit of forgettable tunes, but also a few memorable tunes. If you get off the beaten path, there are lots of good music old and new. Popular is rarely ever the best.

The Internet has changed so many things. While vinyl and CDs diminish from the mass market, the concept of album oriented music is lost. To me putting on a record or CD and listening through is one of the most enjoyable parts of the experience. Times are a changin'
 
I'd question if there's even a decline. One has to remember, that when you choose your data, you can present any picture; whether it is an accurate, unbiased measure of what really is going on is a whole 'nuther story. FWIW, I've got a LOT of new (to me) music here, and I don't think ANY of it was purchased new last year, so all that probably isn't counted. :scratch2:

This one is based upon "RIAA end of year shipments" whatever the heck that is. I doubt it includes used sales, including eBay and other outlets, and I would consider those to be not trivial. And how about Indie and direct from artist sales??? I'm not even sure if includes downloads from places like Amazon. Without knowing what constitutes the measure, it's hard, perhaps even ludicrous, to draw any real conclusions.

Unless of course, you're selling an agenda and using select data to support your contentions....

Interesting point that I hadn't considered. I bet that the four CDs (they aren't doing LPs yet but I keep bugging them to :)) I bought at the DMHO concert this winter are not reflected on any charts.

mike
 
Back
Top Bottom