• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Amazing Collapse of CD Sales

I would suggest that if the twenty and thirty somethings have zero interest in cd's today why would they want them twenty years from now? They are the target audience and they want vinyl and streaming.

It will be a different set of 20 & 30 somethings then, who will have a different take on things than the current ones. They could very likely see CDs as a cool, "classic" physical media which is collectible but at that point probably more obtainable from a cost-wise perspective. I have a hunch that vinyl, despite it's current production, will go up in price significantly over the next twenty years or so and this would apply to both new & used ones (excluding those undesirables found at thrift stores). This would tend to put a strain on the pocketbook of that future young potential collector while putting vinyl more into the realm of the collector with more discretionary money (such as the 20 & 30 somethings of today). CDs, on the other hand, will probably still be available at a fairly reasonable cost, even though I suspect that they too will have gone up overall from where they are today. Streaming, as I mentioned in a prior post, is unsustainable in it's current state. The streaming companies, as I understand it, aren't making money and the music artists are getting screwed. I expect there to be big changes in the coming decade but where things will stand after that, I'm not really sure.
 
I thought about picking up some of that but then I'm not sure what to add to it to reconstitute the stuff...?

Let's ask Homer!

34455533092_4990a2c9bf_z.jpg
 
This has been a very interesting read so far (and yes I made it through the entire 17 pages)! I find it a little sad to think that so many great albums are not really being heard because people tend to multitask through their days with music on in the background. Some music is great for background "noise". Some albums I really want to be intentional about absorbing. Some music is attached to memories from long ago and the more it gets played in the background while I "read the news" and scroll though what to play for the next 10 songs, the more I become immune to the power that music has to take me back to a time or a place that I really want to go to. I think for a lot of us here the idea of instant access to millions of songs is like going to the grocery store to buy cereal and after wandering through 80 different brands for 15 minutes up and down the aisle you just say "I'm done" and walk away with no cereal at all. I like to browse music to see if I like it enough to buy it, but with the intent of giving it what the artist intended. Many albums from the Prog rock or metal genres are stories. Skipping songs would be like skipping chapters in a book. I still buy CD's new and used. I know what I am looking for so that narrows it down, but often wish I could own a physical copy of some bandcamp albums I own, so I burn them to MiniDisc. Speaking of "dead" formats...but interesting to see releases show up on bandcamp in MD format and they instantly sell out. I haven't been able to purchase one yet! Some formats may be dead for the masses but there will always be a contingent that wants to own physical and sometimes even defunct mediums. I never wanted to follow the masses anyways. Let them spend their hours scrolling though music rather than listening to it. I like album art and a thumbnail isn't enough for me to display on my wall. :) Having said all this I do have most of my music ripped to my computer and backed up and Winamp (not iTunes) is the one for me. Cheers!
 
This has been a very interesting read so far (and yes I made it through the entire 17 pages)! I find it a little sad to think that so many great albums are not really being heard because people tend to multitask through their days with music on in the background. Some music is great for background "noise". Some albums I really want to be intentional about absorbing. Some music is attached to memories from long ago and the more it gets played in the background while I "read the news" and scroll though what to play for the next 10 songs, the more I become immune to the power that music has to take me back to a time or a place that I really want to go to. I think for a lot of us here the idea of instant access to millions of songs is like going to the grocery store to buy cereal and after wandering through 80 different brands for 15 minutes up and down the aisle you just say "I'm done" and walk away with no cereal at all. I like to browse music to see if I like it enough to buy it, but with the intent of giving it what the artist intended. Many albums from the Prog rock or metal genres are stories. Skipping songs would be like skipping chapters in a book. I still buy CD's new and used. I know what I am looking for so that narrows it down, but often wish I could own a physical copy of some bandcamp albums I own, so I burn them to MiniDisc. Speaking of "dead" formats...but interesting to see releases show up on bandcamp in MD format and they instantly sell out. I haven't been able to purchase one yet! Some formats may be dead for the masses but there will always be a contingent that wants to own physical and sometimes even defunct mediums. I never wanted to follow the masses anyways. Let them spend their hours scrolling though music rather than listening to it. I like album art and a thumbnail isn't enough for me to display on my wall. :) Having said all this I do have most of my music ripped to my computer and backed up and Winamp (not iTunes) is the one for me. Cheers!

I still do all that, mobil and from a streaming service on my phone. I still don’t understand how people think that’s not a thing with streaming or down loaded files. :dunno:
 
I still do all that, mobil and from a streaming service on my phone. I still don’t understand how people think that’s not a thing with streaming or down loaded files. :dunno:

Yeah I get it. There is nothing at a museum you can't find on google either. I still think there is value in the option of doing either and none of my memories are linked to digital files like they are with the smell of a new CD or the rattle of a cassette tape. Different strokes as they say. I've restored a lot of vintage gear and I like to use it which means holding on to tapes, CD's, vinyl and the like.
 
  • Like
Reactions: YY1
Yeah I get it. There is nothing at a museum you can't find on google either. I still think there is value in the option of doing either and none of my memories are linked to digital files like they are with the smell of a new CD or the rattle of a cassette tape. Different strokes as they say. I've restored a lot of vintage gear and I like to use it which means holding on to tapes, CD's, vinyl and the like.

I get it... look at my signature.

This is a information site as much as anything, when people make statements like that then people that do not know better think you cannot listen to a good SQ whole album streaming... not factual at all :thumbsup:
 
I still do all that, mobil and from a streaming service on my phone. I still don’t understand how people think that’s not a thing with streaming or down loaded files. :dunno:
As do I. This summer I recall streaming sessions with Yes - Close To The Edge and Genesis - Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down as well as Trick of the Tale. They all got played end to end whilst listening on the deck enjoying beverages. I mostly listen to new stuff but it is good to go back in time and experience the flood of memories the music envokes. The smell of a CD?? I've never been able to relate to that.
 
We are talking about CDs not all physical media. I see still Vinyls laid out like that sometimes in my travels... and still buy a few almost every month :thumbsup:
 
Ultimately this post is about the collapse of CD sales yes. It mirrors the initial collapse of vinyl, subsequent fall of cassettes and 8-track and in the end the implosion of the entire physical media marketplace. I do kind of miss a brick and mortar place like Tower Records. I still enjoy hunting through a thrift rather than browse fb marketplace. I have nothing against digital or streaming, hell most of my listening day to day happens via a hard drive but I don't want to explorer, experience and encounter the world through a phone. I guess I'd rather twist a knob to turn up the heat at home than tell Siri to do it for me. Ironically one of the annoyances of vinyl is flippin that disc... :D
 
I still do all that, mobil and from a streaming service on my phone. I still don’t understand how people think that’s not a thing with streaming or down loaded files. :dunno:

Chief, speaking of digital downloads, I just wanted to point out that Qobuz is having a holiday sale on them. And you don't even have to be a subscriber to them (I'm not) to take advantage of it.

I picked up Traffic's John Barleycorn in 24/96 lossless FLAC, and the SQ is outstanding.
Best holiday wishes to you! :beerchug:
 
Think of all the albums and CDs you own. How many killer tracks on AVERAGE on each one? 3? 4? Why suffer through 10?

Actually, on the vast majority of the CDs that I own, I like every single song. An album is, to me, a complete work of art, that should be enjoyed as a whole.

If there are a lot of songs on a CD that I don´t like, then it probably wasn´t worth buying it, so I didn´t :)
 
We have Zia Records here. Can still browse racks of records or CDs. They sell all kinds of stuff as well. CDs are not dead yet here. CDs are just a medium. Kind of thought we'd see microSD music. Some new media smaller.
 
Back
Top Bottom