• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "I Missed It by THAT MUCH" thread

Today I experienced my nearest miss on the nicest piece so far. This morning I went into one of the Goodwills on my circuit - pretty decent, I’ve found good stuff there before. Looked over the stereo stuff - nothing to get excited about. Walked a little farther down the aisle and there was a guy with a Technics turntable in his cart trying to plug it in to see if it worked. Looked to be an SL-D202 or the like. It was in excellent complete condition. That’s when I noticed the turntable was stacked on top of a receiver. Silver face, wood case, strapped inside the original styrofoam.
It was a pristine Pioneer SX-780!
I have never seen a turntable in that nice of a condition, or ANY sought-after silver faced receiver in ANY thrift store EVER.
Guy said he’s not a stereo guy, but his friend was. He was there looking for vintage video game stuff, but saw these and knew they looked nice.
Turntable and receiver were $29.99 each.
If only I’d been there two minutes earlier o_O
 
That’s the way it goes sometimes. Personally, I prefer not seeing someone score on something I would have wanted. However, sometimes, the person with an item in their cart will take it over to the test station and leave it there after plugging it in and getting no lights. I got a Yamaha CA-1010 that way. I keep an eye on anyone who looks like they are considering something, but not obviously. Stealth mode. :D
 
I happened to know that the outlets nearest the gear had been disabled, and ended up with a Sansui Eight Deluxe that was plugged in and abandoned. Hadn't even been there long enough for the knobs to disappear!
 
I happened to know that the outlets nearest the gear had been disabled, and ended up with a Sansui Eight Deluxe that was plugged in and abandoned. Hadn't even been there long enough for the knobs to disappear!
Nice, though it sounds like a "score" thread item :D
 
That’s the way it goes sometimes. Personally, I prefer not seeing someone score on something I would have wanted. However, sometimes, the person with an item in their cart will take it over to the test station and leave it there after plugging it in and getting no lights. I got a Yamaha CA-1010 that way. I keep an eye on anyone who looks like they are considering something, but not obviously. Stealth mode. :D
Oh I would have preferred not to see him score it, Bilbo. It has kind of ruined me. Since this happened when I walk into a thrift, I’m disappointed that there isn’t a pristine silver-faced 70’s receiver waiting for me :crazy:
 
Oh I would have preferred not to see him score it, Bilbo. It has kind of ruined me. Since this happened when I walk into a thrift, I’m disappointed that there isn’t a pristine silver-faced 70’s receiver waiting for me :crazy:

Too funny! I remember when I was like that. These days, finding a silver faced beauty is a very rare thing. I’ve gotten to the point that when I walk into a thrift store, I’m really looking for other things, like this beautiful puffy down filled Marmot coat I found yesterday.
CD05183A-66F6-43EC-94A6-917D33D80DC6.jpeg
If a silver faced beauty is there, it is a bonus. You are more likely to find one in a pawn shop, garage sale, or on Facebook marketplace.
 
Too funny! I remember when I was like that. These days, finding a silver faced beauty is a very rare thing. I’ve gotten to the point that when I walk into a thrift store, I’m really looking for other things, like this beautiful puffy down filled Marmot coat I found yesterday.
View attachment 2065765
If a silver faced beauty is there, it is a bonus. You are more likely to find one in a pawn shop, garage sale, or on Facebook marketplace.
Oh I know. That’s why I was slack-jawed and gobsmacked to see a guy standing there in the Goodwill with an SX-780 in his cart (?!)
 
I get irritated about things I have had my hands on and put down. I won't even mention them. I am still angry with myself. :oops:

(I don't have a smart phone, to expensive, are they still called that?)

I have no idea what's special about an SX 780........:dunno:
 
I was at my favourite thrift store years ago, and while I was at the record bin, they put out an excellent collection. I got Cream, Led Zeppelin, BOC, Pink Floyd, and much more. About 75 records in mint or near mint condition. While I was poking through that, a guy that became my friend came by with a Marantz 2235 in his cart, and then another guy came by with one of those duals with the fancy wooden lid that folds back. It seems someone donated a full system and record collection. I was so focused on the records, I missed out on the other gear. This hit me particularly hard at that time because I had never found anything at that thrift aside from records and cassette decks. That changed, but I had much to learn before it did.
 
I get irritated about things I have had my hands on and put down. I won't even mention them. I am still angry with myself. :oops:

(I don't have a smart phone, to expensive, are they still called that?)

I have no idea what's special about an SX 780........:dunno:
Wait . You’re an “ Enthusiast “. And you don’t buy ? :idea:
Have you ever owned a nice 780 ? I gather not.
 
Today I experienced my nearest miss on the nicest piece so far. This morning I went into one of the Goodwills on my circuit - pretty decent, I’ve found good stuff there before. Looked over the stereo stuff - nothing to get excited about. Walked a little farther down the aisle and there was a guy with a Technics turntable in his cart trying to plug it in to see if it worked. Looked to be an SL-D202 or the like. It was in excellent complete condition. That’s when I noticed the turntable was stacked on top of a receiver. Silver face, wood case, strapped inside the original styrofoam.
It was a pristine Pioneer SX-780!
I have never seen a turntable in that nice of a condition, or ANY sought-after silver faced receiver in ANY thrift store EVER.
Guy said he’s not a stereo guy, but his friend was. He was there looking for vintage video game stuff, but saw these and knew they looked nice.
Turntable and receiver were $29.99 each.
If only I’d been there two minutes earlier o_O
I picked up a very clean SX-780 a few years ago at a Goodill for just shy of $14. Everything worked and no scratchy pots. I gave it to my youngest son for his first system.
 
I happened to know that the outlets nearest the gear had been disabled, and ended up with a Sansui Eight Deluxe that was plugged in and abandoned. Hadn't even been there long enough for the knobs to disappear!
Our Goodwill store has a timer about 3' away from the outlet thats close to the audio stuff. I bet that happens all the time.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom