• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The "I Missed It by THAT MUCH" thread

I collect Xcelite tools. A person listed a lot of tools on ebay with one rare screwdriver in there. He had it auction style. I wrote to him and asked if he would consider an offer, and what my offer would be. This was about 9pm. I didn't get a reply by the time I went to bed. When I got up the following morning, I had a message from him, saying he revised the auction to my price. I thought "awesome!". I clicked on the link to buy it, and somebody else had bought it. Well, buddy, I set 'em up, you knock 'em down, I guess, lol.
 
Wait . You’re an “ Enthusiast “. And you don’t buy ? :idea:
Have you ever owned a nice 780 ? I gather not.

I have had three of them and never paid more than $12 for one, and they all sold in the $60 range!

A lot has changed in 10 years. You start talking about the SX 850 and up..........

I see completed Ebay listings they are selling for good coin. Great. As long as you want to ship electronics.

This stuff has gone goofy on pricing!

I buy things I can resell that aren't a pita to ship. Silver face receivers are like hens teeth now.

I don't need big stuff laying around. I have sold numerous electronics, receivers, and amps! I have JBL S38's on CL even Ebay for local pick up and very little interest. They will sell but how long.....Pain!
 
I was at my favourite thrift store years ago, and while I was at the record bin, they put out an excellent collection. I got Cream, Led Zeppelin, BOC, Pink Floyd, and much more. About 75 records in mint or near mint condition. While I was poking through that, a guy that became my friend came by with a Marantz 2235 in his cart, and then another guy came by with one of those duals with the fancy wooden lid that folds back. It seems someone donated a full system and record collection. I was so focused on the records, I missed out on the other gear. This hit me particularly hard at that time because I had never found anything at that thrift aside from records and cassette decks. That changed, but I had much to learn before it did.

Like being first in line at an estate sale with gear and records...which do you hit first.....
 
Have posted this before, a set of Altec 19's for $40 at local Miracle Hill thrift. Walked in saw them sitting there in the furniture section and nearly sh*t my pants. Walk up and there is a SOLD tag on them, saw the same pair flipped on eBay about a month later for $1800. Nice little profit for the flipper....they would still be in the house if I had gotten them.
 
Grateful Dead 1965 - 1973 CD Box Set for $10 today. Another flipper got it who never sells music. Dog!

I was doing my do diligence of creating a half a dozen Ebay listings. Instead of doing that I should have been out there. It was my second trip.

I did find something else though, but not as good as that Dead Set would have been. :rolleyes:
 
Yamaha C-80 in great cosmetic shape but crackly pots, $25. I emailed him pretty quickly but the ad went down about an hour later.
I was buying it for a friend who loves the cosmetically challenged one I sold him years ago. I figured an upgrade would be a nice gift for Christmas but hopefully the buyer enjoys it.
 
This was a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at CL and scrolled past an ad for a “Vintage Record Player” for $150 with a picture of an old console as the main picture. I scrolled right past it. A few hours later I clicked on the ad and the 3rd picture showed what looked to be a Scott 233. The ad included everything in the console plus 2 end table size speakers. I emailed a few times but never heard back. Got to watch the ad switch to pending and then taken down. Obviously, always look at all the pictures, that’s where you can sometimes get lucky.
yzTigVt.jpg
 
Went to my local Goodwill, which I usually do a couple of times weekly. As I am walking back to the electronics area, I see a gentleman with a vintage receiver on his cart. I can’t tell what it is as it is facing me from its back side. As I approach, I notice that he has a Sansui 881. So I stopped him and mentioned rather lightheartedly “ You better buy that for $14.99, because it just happens to be the TOTL from a very under the radar line of great sounding receivers and if you don’t then I am.” He agreed saying that he didn’t know exactly what he had, but based on how”vintage” it looked, he figured he would pick it up. It was in decent shape, just stained and yellowed on the silver with what appeared to be nicotine. He asked me how to clean it, so I suggested warm water and dish soap as a start and possibly Simple Green after that if needed. We had a nice discussion and then went on our way. I was genuinely upset that I hadn’t gotten there literally a few minutes earlier, but I did score the consolation prize, so to speak. There was a decent pair of Realistic T-100’s that were setting next to where the Sansui was for $5.00 so I grabbed them.
 
So close on thatSansui! I got a set of T-100s when I bought a Realistic 2000D Receiver for a $100 and was told that the T-100s were included. I was not that impressed with them but appreciated all the real wood veneer case. I had just traded a Pioneer receiver with a trashed case and thought the T-100 cabs would have been really nice raw material to build a cabinet out of. I ended up selling the T-100s locally for $25 instead :-) Buyer was happy and I was happy with the 2000D for $75.
2 - Copy.jpg 6.jpg
 
Hello replied to an ad just outside my usual craigslist search I was 30 day's late after the posting but still up.1959 Concert grand works great! He replied back with photo's.......
 

Attachments

  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69
Saw a craigslist ad that was posted 2 hours earlier for a pair of JBL L100t in good condition for $150. Sent an email and got a reply back an hour later that someone was already coming for them this evening and if he cancelled I was next. Needless to say, I missed it by that much.
 
Can't catch them all. Missed this set just now. Sonus Faber Concerto and they KNEW the value too.

Sonus Faber Speakers.jpeg
 
No idea, but the seller did send me a reply to say they were already taken. That was within 2 hrs from when the ad was placed.
 
No idea, but the seller did send me a reply to say they were already taken. That was within 2 hrs from when the ad was placed.

If you care, ask him how much he ended up selling them for? Most of them would answer. I have done that a few times, and felt better afterwards that the item(s) sold for more than the listed "scroe" price. But that's just me... :D
 
A couple days ago a pair of KEF 107 (I'm pretty sure) for $400 with the title "Speakers". Saw them several hours after they'd been posted, which was of course much too late.
 
If you care, ask him how much he ended up selling them for? Most of them would answer. I have done that a few times, and felt better afterwards that the item(s) sold for more than the listed "scroe" price. But that's just me... :D

In this case, it was a woman selling them. I got the impression she just wanted them out, but I'm not that curious about the exact price. If it were a man, my bias would say it may have been an auction perhaps, but still went at a good price given how quickly they were gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom