• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Mid-Century/Danish thread

I don't see much tasteful vintage stuff around here, but I did fine this lamp at an estate sale yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 93
  • lamp2.jpg
    lamp2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 42
Finally found my mid-century couch yesterday! One small town I travel to for work has quite a few mid-century ranch homes, but the furniture rarely turns up in the local thrift (or anywhere else I've found). Notable exception, the green and gold chair I posted quite a while back, before the start of this thread, came from the same thrift. Anyway, I stopped in over my lunch break and found this beauty. Went back after my work was done and laid down the cash. I have two weeks to get it out of the store, now I need to get my old couch sold.

The fabric looks almost like new with no rips or stains, and the foam cushions are all firm and shapely. The only damage I found at all was a few snags in the black cloth under the body of the couch while futilely looking for a manufacturer's tag. Unlike most mid-century couches I've found, which have tended to be about 10 feet long - or more - this one is a perfect size. I can just barely lay down comfortably between the arms.

That's a great couch. You're right..they tend to be LONG. I looked for the longest time before finding mine on CL, which is actually quite similar to the one you have found in general shape. I like that they are usually low, and tend to not dominate the room as much.

I bought a round, teak MCM dining table yesterday after a long hunt. Not a score but it was what I wanted...pics to come. Now the search for 4 complimentary chairs begins.
 
I talked my wife into finishing off our living/dining room in more quasi MCM. So I ordered up a pair of George Nelson lamps. Next up is to find some nicer pieces to hang on the wall.

P1010190.jpg

P1010191.jpg

P1010196.jpg

P1010198.jpg
 
Very long story short; I almost purchased this Room and Board Sofa (in a rust color fabric) for $700 (instead of $2200+shipping from R&B) at the outlet of the factory that makes it. Started looking closely and found some bad spots in the fabric that I feared would get worse........sigh. It was very pretty.



The outlet is in Dallas if anyone is interested.
 

Attachments

  • 2855884739_2296cf6c28.jpg
    2855884739_2296cf6c28.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 83
Sent my mom to an estate sale a few miles from their house today, she ended up grabbing me some very cool china and a Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio for great prices. The china is Crestwood, in the "Silver Dawn" pattern from ~1952.

1784246.jpg

1787327.jpg

1784283.jpg


The set is more complete than what is seen in those two shots - it's a setting for 6 with dinner, sandwich and desert plates, (I think) soup and salad bowls, cups and saucers, at least two sizes each of serving platters and bowls, sugar and creamer, salt and pepper shakers, and more.

There is a very nice china cabinet there that my parents might pick up tomorrow on 1/2 off.
chinacabinet.jpg
 
Last edited:

should turn this one into a name it game.

the rules are, edit the pic in paint, number the items you know the name of or the designer, and then list them in numerical order.

no cheating, no searching the net, just go from memory.

so here are the items I can identify;

1, herman miller, eames lounge chair
2, herman miller, eames DCM
3, knock off of eames fiberglass chair
4, eames fiberglass chair
5, bertoia chair
6, eames shell chair with eiffel base
7, barcelona chair by mies van de rohe
8, another bertoia chair
9, wassily chair
10, knoll womb chair by saarinen
11, aero saarinen tulip dinette set
13, HM, eames lounge chair or knockoff
14, HM, eames lounge chair or knockoff
15, HM, eames lounge chair or knockoff

that's all I can name off the top of my head.

where is this BTW?
 

Attachments

  • 2m7amxe1.jpg
    2m7amxe1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I had a good morning at yard sales. All of these lamps and chairs came from one garage sale, and nothing was over $20. They all need a little work, but nothing too serious. I got there two hours after they opened, so I can only imagine what sold before.
 

Attachments

  • lamps.jpg
    lamps.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 98
Why does this happen? Within the last week I found a pair of Magnepans, and a Marantz 4270. So I kind of used up my spending money for the month and then I saw this...$24. It needs to be reglued so it might stay around for awhile.

Any ideas who the maker might be? The only markings what I think is the date.
5-23-1963
 

Attachments

  • chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Why does this happen? Within the last week I found a pair of Magnepans, and a Marantz 4230. So I kind of used up my spending money for the month and then I saw this...$24. It needs to be reglued so it might stay around for awhile.

Any ideas who the maker might be? The only markings what I think is the date.
5-23-1963

that chair is real nice.

nice lines, and I like all the vertical connectors.
never seen one like it.
 
Excavated moms house

My mom has always loved Danish furniture.it's all we ever had in the house,and she would take us to Danish Interiors in Indialantic,FL to see the newest shipments.

She's 82 now and has taken to hoarding for some reason,and all this stuff has mounded up and covering most of her beautiful collection of furniture and modern art..

I just visited her (650 mile drive),helped her clean up and organize,and got these pic's of pieces I was able to get in uncluttered scenes.
 

Attachments

  • 100_8871.jpg
    100_8871.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_8861.jpg
    100_8861.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_8866.jpg
    100_8866.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 96
More of mom's stash

I've always liked these guys and got them as an early inheritance - The Watchers.
 

Attachments

  • 100_9139.jpg
    100_9139.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom