• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Mighty Bogen MO-200A

Hi Paul -- Anytime you parallel circuits, unequal sharing and resulting oscillations are always a possibility. This is the reason (for example) that push-pull parallel output stages typically use resistors to connect the various elements of the output tubes into the circuit to help balance out the currents between the two tubes on each side of the push-pull signal. This helps to prevent the two tubes from fighting each other, and prevents potential oscillation in the process.

As for the instability noted, there is a good possibility that the transformers played in to the instability produced. But it may not be from the paralleled output connection. When typical output transformers are driven beyond their basic ability, coupling starts to suffer, and oscillations can always form as a result. It may also be that output wiring (although in stock condition), and or the measures taken to prevent general parasitic oscillations need to be increased to tamp it down. The only way to know for sure if the paralleled amplifier connection is a factor is to decouple the two amplifiers and recheck each one individually under the same equivalent power/load condition.

I suppose there is a practical limit to stacking units -- if only that the output impedance falls too low below the load impedance presented to the stacked array, which would not be good. More testing would be needed to know if stacking actually causes the oscillations to occur that were presented. I am inclined to think that the oscillations observed were a product of the individual amplifiers rather than their paralleled connection. They were only present at frequency extremes were the unit became transformer challenged.

Preventing such oscillations, and maintaining the full power and low distortion characteristics of mid band performance is primarily about the build of the OPT. Everybody had their own unique approach, but maximizing coupling, and minimizing capacitive loading is the name of the game. Core design, winding pattern, amount of interleaving, and materials used all play into it. That is why quality output transformers -- and particularly high quality high power output transformers -- can get real expensive, real quick.

Remember that frequency response is one thing, as it is measured at a low (1 watt) power level. An extended frequency response ultimately allows for stable negative feedback to be put in place, without the measures to stabilize it causing concerns down in the audio spectrum.

What we have been primarily discussing is power bandwidth -- the bandwidth within which the amplifier can produce full power output. For the Bogen MO-200A, this was basically 30 Hz to 10 kHz. I am not familiar with the VAC 450 to know of its power bandwidth performance. However, the more lower impedance output tubes you can use, the lower the primary impedance of the output transformer becomes, and the greater the high frequency response can be for a given transformer size. It might very well be that this is the approach used by VAC.

Anytime you can lower drive impedance, the LF frequency performance of the output transformer improves. Since this amplifier is already a PPP unit, that option is out. However, PPP triodes in class A2 would lower the drive impedance notably, and the A2 mode of operation would preserve a good deal of the power output. Such a design however would likely not fit in the 200's chassis.

I hope this helps!

Dave
 
<snip>

My response measurements were also performed at a 1 watt power level across an 8 ohm non-inductive load...

<snip>

Dave

I was pretty sure that was the case. Just wanted to be sure because you mentioned the W6 as a high power tube amp capable of decent performance at the frequency extremes. Curious, I checked W6 specs and it shows response at 1/2W and 70W!!! Astonishingly flat and extended under both conditions...if one can believe Heath's measurements.
 
Last edited:
So the moral of the story here is simply the output transformer of a tube amplifier really is the final critical link in the amplifying chain.
 
Hi Ken -- Yeah, they pretty much are, what they are. As I was mentioning in my previous post, possibly an entirely different output stage and driver design could help the transformers, and maybe even using the 70 volt winding for CF as mentioned earlier. But you're basically talking a whole new chassis and design that happens to use Bogen transformers. It does beg the question: When does a Bogen cease becoming a Bogen?

Rod -- based on confirming that all the components were within tolerance levels, it is possible that very close tolerance parts might improve the HF response issue noted, and even lower distortion a tick. But the power bandwidth limitations are all on the transformers.

Let me again state that the purpose of this effort was hardly to put a hit out on the Bogen MO-200A, but rather, to simply nail down what its base performance capabilities are, so that folks like Ken and Rpampt can make an informed decision as to where to put their hard earned dollars, and decide whether one of these units is right for them. I know of nowhere where this information was previously provided. I hope that is the take away point understood by all.

Dave
 
Steve -- I have two of the Heath W6 amps, and can attest that while I found the frequency response somewhat optimistic (I think mine met spec to about 55 kHz), the power bandwidth was not. Both of my units would push 80 watts RMS from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and at very low distortion as well (within spec). All this, and the 70 volt connection to boot. That is one reason I mentioned them.

Dave
 
Hi Ken -- Yeah, they pretty much are, what they are. As I was mentioning in my previous post, possibly an entirely different output stage and driver design could help the transformers, and maybe even using the 70 volt winding for CF as mentioned earlier. But you're basically talking a whole new chassis and design that happens to use Bogen transformers. It does beg the question: When does a Bogen cease becoming a Bogen?

Rod -- based on confirming that all the components were within tolerance levels, it is possible that very close tolerance parts might improve the HF response issue noted, and even lower distortion a tick. But the power bandwidth limitations are all on the transformers.

Let me again state that the purpose of this effort was hardly to put a hit out on the Bogen MO-200A, but rather, to simply nail down what its base performance capabilities are, so that folks like Ken and Rpampt can make an informed decision as to where to put their hard earned dollars, and decide whether one of these units is right for them. I know of nowhere where this information was previously provided. I hope that is the take away point understood by all.

Dave

Dave, thanks for taking those measurements. I don't think anybody would ever take your efforts on these amps as anything other than showing us what the real numbers are.
 
Finally we have data that is usable. Thank you Dave.

It is interesting that the MO-100A and MO-200A specifications only give the frequency response whereas many of their other model specifications give the frequency response and the power response across the frequency range.

For example to KO-100 and M120 specs as attached. They would seem more in line with your findings that the power rolls off at the bottom and top end - although the M120 maintains better performance to 20KHz than the K-series amp.

I suppose it is not surprising that many of us that are advancing a little in age would not notice a high end roll off as much and, for the low end, many speakers can struggle to perform around 30Hz and below as they focus on clear mids and use sub-woofers to enhance the low end.
 

Attachments

  • Bogen_KO-100_Manual_Pg1.jpg
    Bogen_KO-100_Manual_Pg1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 80
  • bogen-m120-2.jpg
    bogen-m120-2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 73
Finally we have data that is usable. Thank you Dave.

It is interesting that the MO-100A and MO-200A specifications only give the frequency response whereas many of their other model specifications give the frequency response and the power response across the frequency range.

For example to KO-100 and M120 specs as attached. They would seem more in line with your findings that the power rolls off at the bottom and top end - although the M120 maintains better performance to 20KHz than the K-series amp.

I suppose it is not surprising that many of us that are advancing a little in age would not notice a high end roll off as much and, for the low end, many speakers can struggle to perform around 30Hz and below as they focus on clear mids and use sub-woofers to enhance the low end.

Here's a little something. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1591186&postcount=57

I would guess that the 40 hz @ 100 watts value on the spec sheet you posted is where the OPT saturates.:scratch2:
 
Dave, I believe you covered this, but your frequency response data is from the MO-200A in stock form, aka parallelled push-pull-parallel output stages, right? This is not single channel data like you'd see from one of these modded for 2 channel stereo use?

I'm just curious if single channel numbers would end up being better, particularly at the top end. Consider you've got the secondaries of both of those outputs tied together at the moment, so there is probably even more parasitic capacity than you'd get out of it in single channel mode, or from an MO-100a.
 
It should be noted that the results do not show that the Bogen does not give performance down to the claimed 8 Hz or whatever the low end is, just that it will not deliver 200W at that level. 100-120W at <20Hz (or whatever the number is) and ~200W at 30Hz is not bad and is enough for many very good speakers. Similarly for the high end.

Examples, to pick a few:
Altec Model-19: 30Hz to 20KHz.
Klipsch LaScala (new): 51-17,000 Hz (±4dB)
Infinity Kappa 8: 33Hz-45kHz +/-3dB
Magneplanar 1.7: 40-24 kHz
KEF 104/2: 55-20,000Hz +/-2dB
 
My understanding of his findings did not show it to be very linear in output power or distortion levels. Did I misunderstand something?
 
The results show It a pretty decent high powered paging/pa amp, nothing more. Otherwise a largish chassis with a power supply and tube sockets and redesign potential.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
My understanding of his findings did not show it to be very linear in output power or distortion levels. Did I misunderstand something?
Probably not. I did not read everything, but took note of his finding that it was good for full power from 30Hz to 10KHz (I think); the only plots I looked at were from Tom Bavis earlier so perhaps I missed some non-linearity comment across that bandwidth. I am sure Dave will straighten us all out. :)
 
Probably not. I did not read everything, but took note of his finding that it was good for full power from 30Hz to 10KHz (I think); the only plots I looked at were from Tom Bavis earlier so perhaps I missed some non-linearity comment across that bandwidth. I am sure Dave will straighten us all out. :)

Micah had some good scope shots too. I think he may have done a tweak that's not on his schematic too, but I could be wrong. I know when I heard it, I started looking for one.
 
Oh I can see right where that amp would been at home, in a big Sears, Macy's, or J C Penny's department store driving all those little Atlas 25 or 70 volt elevator speakers in the tiles. In fact of the hundreds of stores that I have stripped in the past, I am quite surprised that I had not come across a few of them. I guess I just didn't find a store that was quite old enough to still have a tube Bogen amp in it as I stripped many of Bogen, TOA, Crown, QSC, amps when doing remodels or upgraded sound systems. There was a few J C Penny's that are the upgraded stores that had over 120 speakers in them all driven off one or two amps. Even if you just tap the speakers at 1/2 watt with that many speakers and all the long runs it takes a pretty rugged amp for continuous duty in them stores, as they don't usually shut them off at night. I can see where that old Bogen would have been a very good amp in its day for those applications.
 
Last edited:
I had no horse in the race. I never even heard of this particular Bogen. I have to say for the owner I'm disappointed. (not in the thread or the tests) I guess I was just hoping it would turn out to be a diamond in the rough and Dave could work some of his magic. That being said, (just throwing ideas out here, which may be entirely unpractical) . Would it pay to install high end OPTs on this and maybe massage its innards? Or would you say leave it alone, start with something better or start from scratch? For HIFI now, poor iron and tough to get tubes just let this be.?
 
Low note on a string bass or bass guitar is 40 Hz, and the MO200A can deliver 200 watts there handily. Delivering 200W at 20 KHz would smoke most any tweeter made - music doesn't have that much energy above 10 KHz. The big issue is distortion, not unexpected at the low idle current used, and that's easily adjusted. Of course tube life will be a concern if we push that TOO far. More open-loop gain and some tweaking of the feedback can do a lot more.

Low level measurements on the MO-200A transformer were actually considerably better than the Dyna A430, so it may not be that difficult to beat the Mark III with some mods.
 
Last edited:
I think everybody's got a pretty good and healthy perspective on the results. And Tink, your comments were spot on. Gadget, the results are absolutely based on a stock as built MO-200A. There is no doubt about the comments of speaker frequency response, human hearing response with age, how much distortion can we hear, and everything in between.

And too, we should not fall into the "well, if it's not full power flat from 20 Hz to 20 Khz with no more than .0000000% THD, then it's junk" trap. After all, isn't that the nirvana that SS promised us? And yet still, system errors are cumulative: A little loss of response in the RIAA section isn't all that bad, nor is the tone control error, nor is the power amplifier errors, nor are the speaker errors, nor their placement errors, and the list goes on -- but they all add up. Therefore, I always try to minimize all such errors if and when possible, even though any one particular error just isn't that bad.

The amplifier is an enigma however: Use it with efficient speakers at lower power for best performance and good golly miss molly, what do you need that much power for? But use it with the Dalhquist and AR speakers that can use the power, and you might run out of low end power. If you mod it down to be a 50 watt per channel amp to really get within the transformer's window of performance, it just seems like a huge waste of tubes and power capability. The full power bandwidth window of the amplifier is 30 Hz to 20 kHz. But honestly, the waveforms were pretty distressed, and distortion was still high by high fidelity standards.

My honest advice for this unit for those who really want to make something of this amp would be to mod it for stereo use, use PP 6550s (or your favorite flavor KTXX) per channel, drop in some new A431S OPTs on this baby, and drive the whole affair with a good Williamson or Mullard front end. Now, you've really, really got something.

You'd have close enough to 100 watts per channel, and superb performance from about 25 or 30 Hz to 20 kHz at low distortion, with a very nice frequency response. And, you'd have real 4-8 and 16 ohm outputs too! The existing power supply would work perfectly with this format, with only a small under chassis screen choke needed to bring it up to speed. And most importantly, the unit would then be very well re-purposed for home stereo use. Yeah, a bunch of work, but it could be a lot of fun, and would be a very nice unit when finished.

Just my two cents on it guys and gals........

Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom