• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Bingo! I had the arm set to the 8 1/16" distance from the spindle recommended in the tonearm instructions and moved it a little farther and it looks like it's clearing the clamp. Thanks!

As for vacuum leaks, it looks like my platter is sealed around the spindle.

View attachment 952742

No vacuum leak for me! This is a series iv for what it's worth.

On earlier versions a small O ring would effectively plug the spindle hole gap.
 
I have a Thorens TD 125II that I rebuilt myself, including the power board. A friend has a Sota Sapphire Serial # 13752, that he purchased new, that he's interested in selling to me; he is going to completely get out of vinyl. I have not yet seen the table, but we plan to meet in the next few weeks. I saw it a year ago, it was pristine looking, but I didn't really pay much attention at the time. He says there is a ticking sound when running, but the platter, without the belt, spins without noise. Apparently a new motor from the factory runs around $500. After I spoke with him, I started looking on line (Vinyl Engine) for information, specifically a service manual/schematic. But, I cannot find anything except here on AudioKarma.

I know the info I've provided is sketchy, and I don't expect anyone to try to diagnose the noise, but I would appreciate any thoughts based on what I have provided. Like: when was it manufactured, is there a model number?. What are the features: I notice some Sotas have vacuum hold-down, external power supplies, etc. Is there a history of issues? Are there any upgrades available; if so are they available DIY or only factory? Are there any electronic issues: failing caps, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Warren Anderson
Chico CA.
 
Here's mine. Been running since 1986 and hasn't missed a beat.
FC0A2DC1-7BD2-4732-80AB-95276DFDC3FC.jpg
Yours has the gold platter. Mine has the black one. I think I have the 1987 version. Other than that, I think ours is just alike. I have the sumiko FT-3 arm.
 
I have a Thorens TD 125II that I rebuilt myself, including the power board. A friend has a Sota Sapphire Serial # 13752, that he purchased new, that he's interested in selling to me; he is going to completely get out of vinyl. I have not yet seen the table, but we plan to meet in the next few weeks. I saw it a year ago, it was pristine looking, but I didn't really pay much attention at the time. He says there is a ticking sound when running, but the platter, without the belt, spins without noise. Apparently a new motor from the factory runs around $500. After I spoke with him, I started looking on line (Vinyl Engine) for information, specifically a service manual/schematic. But, I cannot find anything except here on AudioKarma.

I know the info I've provided is sketchy, and I don't expect anyone to try to diagnose the noise, but I would appreciate any thoughts based on what I have provided. Like: when was it manufactured, is there a model number?. What are the features: I notice some Sotas have vacuum hold-down, external power supplies, etc. Is there a history of issues? Are there any upgrades available; if so are they available DIY or only factory? Are there any electronic issues: failing caps, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Warren Anderson
Chico CA.
I can't type much on my phone but look at post 28, this might be the issue
 
The first that I remember was the Sapphire. Then the Sapphire became available with vacuum and it was sold as the Star Sapphire before becoming a separate model. If anyone knows the introduction dates of the various models, that would be most appreciated.
 
one thing is IF you have speakers like IMFs that plumb the depths of the earth in frequency, this tt wilsatisfyfy your needs.
 
I have the IMF TL80's and this is why I would love one of these. Also my floors bounce a bit and foot falls affected my AR XA and also my Linn Basik and Dual 1019 . I am hoping this will eliminate the skipping.

Nashou
 
Who has a SOTA cartridge alignment tool for my Sapphire? I think I saw someone here mention it once. I'd be appreciative....
 
Well I just joined the SOTA club !!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!

Drove 2.5 hours total to get this beauty back home. Now I need to find a table to set it on near my system !1

It didn't have a head shell and I am not sure what type of arm it is.
The seller said its a Jelco, but not sure which type.
I have a Rega RB-300 I could use unless this arm is better or just a lateral move.

What head shell would work? I have an extra Kenwood head shell from a KP-3022...would that work?

35663785853_8e12fa3828_h.jpg

35636516894_2bb5eae4d7_h.jpg

35663785933_8d21fdcc27_h.jpg


Athanasios
 
Well I just joined the SOTA club !!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!

Drove 2.5 hours total to get this beauty back home. Now I need to find a table to set it on near my system !1

It didn't have a head shell and I am not sure what type of arm it is.
The seller said its a Jelco, but not sure which type.
I have a Rega RB-300 I could use unless this arm is better or just a lateral move.

What head shell would work? I have an extra Kenwood head shell from a KP-3022...would that work?

35663785853_8e12fa3828_h.jpg

35636516894_2bb5eae4d7_h.jpg

35663785933_8d21fdcc27_h.jpg


Athanasios
Well I just joined the SOTA club !!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!

Drove 2.5 hours total to get this beauty back home. Now I need to find a table to set it on near my system !1

It didn't have a head shell and I am not sure what type of arm it is.
The seller said its a Jelco, but not sure which type.
I have a Rega RB-300 I could use unless this arm is better or just a lateral move.

What head shell would work? I have an extra Kenwood head shell from a KP-3022...would that work?

35663785853_8e12fa3828_h.jpg

35636516894_2bb5eae4d7_h.jpg

35663785933_8d21fdcc27_h.jpg


Athanasios
It looks like an SA-370h. Any standard headshell should work.
 
How would it compare to the RB-300?

Nashou
I can't be of much help there. I've only had the Rega in house for about a week. I've just installed the Jelco, and so far I think it's great! The Jelco allows for easy VTA adjustment, so that's a big plus!
 
Back
Top Bottom