Vinylmasters
Super Member
Was that an intended pun? Herb Alpert’s horns blowing you away?
LOL! No it was a very tired one I guess!
Was that an intended pun? Herb Alpert’s horns blowing you away?
Spring for a Jico from Jico that includes the tie wire, and all those nitpicks go away. You get super tracking and much better high end detail and definition.

Anyone know anything about an Empire LTD 280 cartridge? I just picked up one on the cheap ($30). Did I waste my money?
It was worth $30 just to listen to it... certain of that.
It's a good'un! It's basically a p-mount version of the much-beloved 'Chunky' model the 400 TC. You could get one of Gary's 4241-DID styli while you look for an original S400TC stylus. Or an S44E. Or..
The LTD280's spec sheet couldn't be with us tonight, so here, accepting the award for Reddest Stylus ever, is the 480 LT, along with the standard-mount 400 TC specs for comparison.
View attachment 1043279 View attachment 1043282
That generic is a particularly good deal, and good deals on high-performance generics in the Empire world are rare. The 4242-DEX is the same stylus, by the way. The good 'Chunky' (real name: Dynamic Interface) styli have become as hard to find as the 239-PDE or the stylus for the 2000E/III.
I know this isn't the Big Fat Empire Thread, but if I'm losing you with nicknames like 'Chunky', or references to other Empire carts, we may want to take you over there so you can freely hobnob with the Empires, learn the lore of the LTD 280, and so on.
Haven't tried that one myself, but it looks promising.
Send turntableneedles an email and ask.So I assume it will fit the 280?
Send turntableneedles an email and ask.

That generic is a particularly good deal, and good deals on high-performance generics in the Empire world are rare. The 4242-DEX is the same stylus, by the way. The good 'Chunky' (real name: Dynamic Interface) styli have become as hard to find as the 239-PDE or the stylus for the 2000E/III.
I know this isn't the Big Fat Empire Thread, but if I'm losing you with nicknames like 'Chunky', or references to other Empire carts, we may want to take you over there so you can freely hobnob with the Empires, learn the lore of the LTD 280, and so on.
Has anyone checked this out yet? Can't beat the price, that's for sure!
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGCFNT4PSE.html
I saw this a while back. The channel separation spec of 18dB concerns me a little.