• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Pioneer "ELITE" Gear Thread!

Two Pioneer Elite laser disc players.

CLD-95 bought brand new in 1992.
Re-branded/badged CLD-97(Mac. MLD 7020) purchased used in 2018 for a upgrade from the CLD-95.
Both still function perfectly, though their both long in the tooth.
 
Here are a couple of my recent(last three years) purchases .I had pioneer cd players in my cars only up to these and that was way back... Always had a multi disk deck and like the convenience . The Elite PD-M92 is a 1992 the Reference is a 1990 just recapped both and they sound fantastic. If anyone has an original remote I would appreciate a Model number and or a picture. Cheers.20200117_190151.jpg 20200123_114456_resized.jpg
 
I know it's not a stereo but any love for the Kuro plasma TVs? I picked up a 50" Elite 1080p plasma a month ago just because I never could afford them, even years and years after they were new. Perfect for older video games (although CRT is best). Pretty impressive for a plasma - there is a 17w amp built in if that helps :)

IMG_20200102_132608.jpg
 
Here are a couple of my recent(last three years) purchases .I had pioneer cd players in my cars only up to these and that was way back... Always had a multi disk deck and like the convenience . The Elite PD-M92 is a 1992 the Reference is a 1990 just recapped both and they sound fantastic. If anyone has an original remote I would appreciate a Model number and or a picture. Cheers.View attachment 1739788 View attachment 1739789
Have to agree on the PD-M92 being nice. I have a reference branded one myself. I'm sorry I don't have the original remote either. Best I can tell It used the CU-PD027 originaly
PIONEER PWW1041-2.jpg
IMG_0206.JPG
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I hope the pd-029 model works also I just snagged one on the bay.
Will report back when received.cheers

Nice stack there!
 
Thanks for the info, I hope the pd-029 model works also I just snagged one on the bay.
Will report back when received.cheers

Nice stack there!
It looks to be the same remote just different coloring scream. Any SR badged remote will work I use a CU-PD052 with mine for the functions the receiver remote doesn't cover, namely the random play and level +- controls
 
That Pioneer Doco is one of the most poorly produced video's that I've ever seen. They really needs someone far better in history presentation than that dumbo who's just reading from a piss poor script. Half the images don't even line up with the voice and what's been said.
 
So IT turned out that Pioneer Elite Has some really Elite components on board. I spotted in c90 top quality Ucon capacitors , parts that are used in high end gear like for example 8000 USD Denon da s1 from 90s. Also i have in my c90 Nichicon Muse capacitors , special brand for using in audio componentsDSC09768.png
 
I had a beautiful condition PD-M95 come in to my possession, I bought it not working but a quick swap of the laser assembly from a PD-M530 I had sitting in the shed had it up and playing.
Now I am having a hard time deciding whether I want to swap out my PD-M92 in my main rig for it or not.
It plays CDs that are scratched better than the 92, but the changer mechanism doesn't always like loading the CD about 1 in 6 times it won't pull the CD in, and doesn't like either of my single disc adapters at all, which both work fine in the 92. I already lubed all the moving parts of the mechanism I could see, as the old grease had dried up. I think the 95 sounds a little better, and I tested with two identical CDs in happen to have switching between the two while listening ("Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" if anyone is curious).

I was looking for opinions from any who own both the PD-M95 and the PD-M92 on which one they prefer (I know there are a few of you). IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0329.JPG
 
Honestly how a cartridge CD player ever made it into the Elite range beggers belief. Cartridge players have always been considered rubbish and I agree with that.
 
Honestly how a cartridge CD player ever made it into the Elite range beggers belief. Cartridge players have always been considered rubbish and I agree with that.
I hate to disagree, but with digital source's like CD,s the transport is largely unimportant as long as it can read the difference between 0s and 1s, this is different than analog where the transport is super important. the DAC is the most important part form good audio from CD, and the reason these made it into the Elite range is they have very good DACs with the one in the PD-M95 being equivalent to the DAC in the PD-75, and the PD-M92 being similar to the PD-71. Here is a photo of the output section on the M95.
IMG_0337.JPG
Also I found the problem with the mechanism, there was a missing spring that once I located and put back in place fixed the problem, now it always loads the disc and both of my single disc adapters now work.
IMG_0336.JPG
 
Last edited:
I hate to disagree, but with digital source's like CD,s the transport is largely unimportant as long as it can read the difference between 0s and 1s, this is different than analog where the transport is super important. the DAC is the most important part form good audio from CD, and the reason these made it into the Elite range is they have very good DACs with the one in the PD-M95 being equivalent to the DAC in the PD-75, and the PD-M92 being similar to the PD-71. Here is a photo of the output section on the M95.
View attachment 1940511
Also I found the problem with the mechanism, there was a missing spring that once I located and put back in place fixed the problem, now it always loads the disc and both of my single disc adapters now work.
View attachment 1940512


As I see output section of this multidisc m95 looks as good as high end pioneer CD players like pd73 or 95. So yeah it doesn't seem like rubbish to me too.

Edit: I did research and in m95 as Dac is the same chip used in pioneer pd73.
 
Last edited:
I love it when others who are new to the "early elite" get a piece, it just oozes quality

Yeah old Pioneer Elite series are not only beautiful on the outside but also are beautifully built on the inside. Mine Pioneer Elite m90a/c90 has really premium quality parts inside. First of all c90 preamplifier has ucon polypropylene capacitors used in high end gear, also has soshin foil capacitors which are still highly regarded and sought in Japan. Also we can See in c90 polypropylene capacitors made by Japan Matsushita. Elite are not only Elite by name, but also by premium quality parts used inside, which are not seen in lower pioneer hifi gear. s-l400 (1).jpg
blog_import_5d655550c94b7.jpeg

Below Pioneer Elite ad from 80s. Pioneer Elite c90/m90 was reviewed by German hifi magazines Stereo and Hifi vision and were given very high ranks spitzenklasse /absolute spitzenklasse

hifi-video-test-1987_0019-pioneer-m-90-pioneer-c-90-1987.jpg
 
Yeah old Pioneer Elite series are not only beautiful on the outside but also are beautifully built on the inside. Mine Pioneer Elite m90a/c90 has really premium quality parts inside. First of all c90 preamplifier has ucon polypropylene capacitors used in high end gear, also has soshin foil capacitors which are still highly regarded and sought in Japan. Also we can See in c90 polypropylene capacitors made by Japan Matsushita. Elite are not only Elite by name, but also by premium quality parts used inside, which are not seen in lower pioneer hifi gear. View attachment 2170795
View attachment 2170796

Below Pioneer Elite ad from 80s. Pioneer Elite c90/m90 was reviewed by German hifi magazines Stereo and Hifi vision and were given very high ranks spitzenklasse /absolute spitzenklasse

View attachment 2170799

Nice

C6E2FE7A-FED4-4CD4-BC60-BBC2160759E1.jpeg E6D59AD8-0103-47E4-AD2B-9F5E842756F1.jpeg

My A71 ^^
 
Back
Top Bottom