• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The search is over !

SWEEET !

Let the vinyl spin and the music begin.

Way to go, I'm gald when guys who appreciate music and equipment get some for themselves.
 
OK Grumpy,

I found your thread. Nice looking table. I like the rosewood too.

Did you order that composite armboard or did it come with the FT3?

I called Sota and talked to them when I got mine. They were nice but I only believe about 10% of what they say. I do not think they are original SOTA people. Seems like a couple people running it out of their garage. The fact that they are in different states and only take PayPal tells me they are a low budget operation. Could be wrong, but that was my take.

I found the setup pretty easy. Your table looks the same as mine, but my platter is different. Is yours heavy enough for you? :p:

Mine had an FT-3 when I got it and I can not fault it for any reason. It was actually a very nice arm and had a decent VTA. I just had an itch for a SME and I nabbed one for really cheap. Sold the FT3 at a great price so it only cost me around $200 to do the SME 309.

One thing you will find with the SOTA is you can sit it on a subwoofer and it will not skip !!

I bought a setup manual if you need any info.

Do you have it inline and running?

Rich
 
Hi Rich

Long story short Nope its not up and running yet. Still waiting on my Tonearm cable that was not shipped with the table. I have spoke with Donna and kurt a bunch of times. Like you I take it all with a grain of salt. I did find Kurt to be quite more helpfull then Donna. He explained some of the differences between the series I and II's to me. I asked him about possibility of updating my power supply and he flat out told me not to even bother. he said they have changed so little since the late 80's when mine was made that its not worth the 300.00 bucks. Yeah I did get the composite armboard and the sandard one too. Both are drilled out for the FT-3 so for know its what I plan to use. I have been watching for an SME 309 but Its just not possible for a while. Donna from sota Emailed me the Setup guide and Platter removal instructions so that helped allot with the setup. I just got my Reflex Clamp from a shop down in San Antonio for an awesome price. So here I sit with a table that just needs a Cart mounted and a Tonearm cable. Do you still have pics of yours. I would be curious to compare a few thinks. What kind of platter mat are you using ?

Grumpy
 
Hey Grump!
Glad to see you've found your "holy grail" of a TT!
She sure is pretty,I'll bet she'll sing like a songbird by the time
you're done with 'er. Keep us updated.

Derek
 
Grump if you are talking about pictures of the FT3, I do not have any. I took some for E-bay and then tossed them.

The FT-3 cable is pretty exotic. Or at least mine was. Had a fancy box on the back that had two RCA's on it and the wires that run to the cart.

My Mat is rubber and it is not impregnated to the platter. My platter appears bronze from the outside but is laminate of bronze cork, bronze, etc. I think that is what he told me. It is HEAVY.

Rich
 
Rich

I meant Pics of your TT overall. My TT didnt come with the Box that you speak of. I think its called the PT box and it was an option. You can use the FT-3 without it but I am looking for one. Unfotunately I have never seen one seperated from the arm. There was one on Ebay with the box. Looked to be really nice and had a 199.00 BIN price. I think my mat is the same as yours. Its pretty damn hard and I was trying to figure out if it hardened with age or is that the way it is. Mine is more of a gray color. I was wondering if its the one they call the super mat ( I think ) ? Does your Turntable have a seperate Power supply or does it plug directly into the wall ? I tell ya what that composite Armboard its one gorgeous piece but I dont know if its worth the cash. I have been reading up on it allot and most Sota owners seem to think its the best upgrade you can make. Its supposed to Isololate Allot more noise out. Does your TT have the Black Inlay ( top of the plinth ) or is it Oak as I recall. Your supposed to be able to tell if its a series one or series II just by that.
 
I can't vouch for the # on the wiring box but that it looked the same as the one in the picture Dave posted.

My matt is pretty soft. It is rubber and looks different than yours.I just checked and I could roll my matt into a small roll pretty easy.
As a matter of fact, your platter looks black on the sides? Mine is a natural bronze?? I think the supermat is adhered to the metal. So yours might be if it is glued down.

I know the platter changed over the years. I forget my generation. I think it is about a 1982 vintage.

Yes, mine has a seperate PS.

I have to agree with you on the armboard. I hated to put mine on. I think we should make a deal right now and not tell what we paid for the composites :) They look like a show piece part that should be on a $75K black laquer baby grand. Too bad only the top shows. As far as sonics against the wood board... I think it is voodoo. I am not buying it (even after I already bought it)...

Mine is black on the top. I thought that both series I and II were that way. Didn't you see my picture I posted yesterday for you? Not sure, but I thought the wood came later.


sota.jpg
 
Rich

So you have tried both armboards ? I do have both and planned on trying both out once shes up and running. My platter mat is really kinda weird. Its a very hard material that does have some give to it. I think its supposed to be this way. I can bend and roll it a bit but not as much as yours. I am not even sure its from Sota or aftermarket. I thought that the Saphires that had the black inlay on the top were series II. For sure Kurt told me if you have a seperate power supply its a II or higher. MY Platter is some really dense Material but what its made of is beyond me. I plan on shooting some pics of it once I do a clean and oil job on the wood. I bet the Shef's are gonna sound awesome. Honestly I just want to play some Vinyl !

Grumpy
 
Well hope you can get it going soon. I am really pleased with mine.

I did not have two armboards to compare. Since they have different holes I ordered the new one for the SME arm and the original was for the FT-3.

Besides If it takes longer than 5 seconds I am not good at A/Bing something. Taking an armboard,arm and wiring off and installing another one, setting it up and listening again?? I can't do it. I can tell some differences between the SME/composite and the FT-3 wood, but no idea if it was armboard or arm.

It is just hard for me to believe that the boards could make that much difference.

I am thinking mine is a series II even though the top is black. Kurt knew exactly what it was when I talked to him and he pegged it at 1982.

Rich
 
Back
Top Bottom