• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The SL-110/Sl-1100 and SP owners club.

Hi all
I thought I would add my name of proud owners of the glorious Technics SL110. I was actually on the lookout for a clean SME 3009 for a recently purchased Thorens TD160 I was refurbishing for another room in the house to play vinyl (in addition to my main listening room with a Gyro/SME V rig).

I came across a completely immaculate Technics with 3009 being sold by someone who did not know what it was (house clearance)
363959BF-8324-4B24-A175-21CB9E3CE690.jpg
it was on ebay and unfortunately, I was not the only one to spot it, so I did not get a complete bargain, but still a fair price.

I have cleaned the pots with contact cleaner, regreased the silky moving parts, added a couple of drops of oil and that's was it.

I also decided to add some damping panels to the cavernous undercarriage. I can't say whether it has helped, as I didn't listen to it beforehand, but suffice to say I am very impressed with the overall sound quality, the bass is excellent. No drift on speed at all, rock solid.
BB02408A-7700-4FF3-9CE7-95F89CE046FB.jpg
I got a lid but no hinges, yet holes were drilled on the back to hinge the lid (I gather as standard it was hinge less)

So I decided to create a solution to reuse the existing hole positions. Pleased with the outcome, 4 torque hinges from China costing £4, plus two stainless steel plates, and a rubber layer, all bolted together with M4 Hex stainless steel bolts. Feels very solid, very classy and could be OEM, though I doubt they would have been this solid back then ;) sorry for the poor pic taken in dim conditions.
4B151E6F-FB28-46C9-B08A-4413806A89C8.jpg
I thought I would share my experience here, as this seems to be the main source of info for this venerable turntable.
F64C8B27-C82E-4F06-9B8A-D8C56289EB9C.jpg
PS selling a lovely refurbished Thorens TD160, as I am under strict instructions to reduce the TT count!!
 
@davidns1000, congrats on your new turntable! This model is a true gem. I have since upgraded to the SP10mk2 but I will never sell my SL-110 unless I'm forced to.

Also: great idea regarding the hinges, I will use it when it's time to make a dustcover for my SP10 build.
 
Olá

Estou em Lisboa - PORTUGAL

Conte comigo como um novo membro do clube!

Eu tenho um Technics SL110 com um Turnerm Technics EPA500/501H Shure V15 typeV - vxmr Jico SA Boron

O SL110, em estado novo



.
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone


I've had my SL1100a for quite some time, along with a pair of SL1200Mk2 and Mk3D. The SL1100 always had a very tiny play in the tone arm. It is not the upper bearings. The needles are tight.
I traced the play at the pivot. Once removed, I could feel the tiny play. I thought I can probably tighten the bearings and eliminate the play. I couldn't undo the two screws, even after heating them with a heat gun just in case there's Loctite keeping them. So what to do? Should I try to find another pivot, or can I simply replace the bearings or tighten them?
wondering if the tone arm pivot is the same as the original SL1200 (not Mk2) as they share the same tone arm.

Is there a source for replacement pivots?

Let me know.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220927_220822362.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220927_220822362.PORTRAIT.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220927_212209840.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220927_212209840.PORTRAIT.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220927_233312534.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220927_233312534.PORTRAIT.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 32
Problem solved ! Not the pivot's bearings. The tiny play came from the shaft itself, not 100% grabbing the aluminum "fork". Some loose developped there for a unknown reason. All I did was firm hit with a hammer and a conically ground screwdriver inserted in the hole. A second hit just to make sure. All the play disappeared. Cost of fix : Nothing. Good for aPXL_20220928_222842100.PORTRAIT.jpg nother 50 years...
 
Hi everyone


I've had my SL1100a for quite some time, along with a pair of SL1200Mk2 and Mk3D. The SL1100 always had a very tiny play in the tone arm. It is not the upper bearings. The needles are tight.
I traced the play at the pivot. Once removed, I could feel the tiny play. I thought I can probably tighten the bearings and eliminate the play. I couldn't undo the two screws, even after heating them with a heat gun just in case there's Loctite keeping them. So what to do? Should I try to find another pivot, or can I simply replace the bearings or tighten them?
wondering if the tone arm pivot is the same as the original SL1200 (not Mk2) as they share the same tone arm.

Is there a source for replacement pivots?

Let me know.



Hi,

which one plays the best of the 4 technics

Thanks.

From Lisboa- Portugal

.
 
index.php

+ Acos Lustre GST-1, + Ortofon Vinyl Rot
 

Attachments

  • 33996206673_ca5859cf71_o.jpg
    33996206673_ca5859cf71_o.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom