• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The SL-110/Sl-1100 and SP owners club.

So when I got it, the fellow did not mention there being any shipping screws or anything. He probably never had pulled the platter. It was tight when I pulled it and I had to give it a yank. That's when I saw the small plate. The platter had been spinning freely. I guess when I yanked it, it wedged the rotor against the plate and it was scrubbing. That's why I took the plate off. So I checked the OM (that you posted)and put it back. Mine did not have the other two plates.
 
Last edited:
Ya, I can see from your picture the the plate had been bent. This an SP-10MKII/2A service part motor. These came with two transit "clamps" as well. Their primary purpose is to lift the rotor up to prevent axial movement and contact between the shaft and the thrust pad. Same as the original transit plate for the SP-10MKII/2A 'table did. These have a retainer plate under the "clamps" to achieve the right thickness, as if the plastic pieces were originally made for a different motor. When installed in the 'table only the single retainer plate is in place.


IMG_2176.jpegIMG_2178.jpeg
 
Ya, I can see from your picture the the plate had been bent. This an SP-10MKII/2A service part motor. These came with two transit "clamps" as well. Their primary purpose is to lift the rotor up to prevent axial movement and contact between the shaft and the thrust pad. Same as the original transit plate for the SP-10MKII/2A 'table did. These have a retainer plate under the "clamps" to achieve the right thickness, as if the plastic pieces were originally made for a different motor. When installed in the 'table only the single retainer plate is in place.


View attachment 2915015View attachment 2915016
Fairly sure it is meant to have the slight bend. The surrounding area has a light angle. The groove the plate sets in is thinner than yours. (See pics)

IMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0143.JPG
 
Last edited:
No, it'd never be designed with an arbitrary bend like that. If the rotor sits too low without the bend then the thrust pad is worn out.
 
No, it'd never be designed with an arbitrary bend like that. If the rotor sits too low without the bend then the thrust pad is worn out.
I've been trying to find some other pics showing the plates. Could it have bent when I pulled the platter? It was kinda stuck. Also, if the thrust pad is worn, how is it replaced and where could I get one?
 
Likely, yes - in your first picture of it the plate is bent upwards. Your last picture has it re-installed with the bend going down.

No idea on thrust pads for these.
 

^ detailed pics of the same motor about halfway down the page. Your thrust pad is likely kaput.
 

^ detailed pics of the same motor about halfway down the page. Your thrust pad is likely kaput.
Maybe. I did take it back out and tried to get it as flat as I could. At the moment it's not scrubbing. I think it is possibly getting bent when I pull the platter. But if there is a way to put a new bearing in, I would do it, considering it's age.
 
It'll come apart the same as an MJX-12A (SP-10MKII/2A), but I've no idea if the thrust pad is the same. Probably not hard to make if you can find someone with a lathe if they are willing.
 
Ok. So not knowing the history of my 110A motor, or last time it was oiled, how should I service it. Should I clean out the old oil? I've got a tube of oil coming from KAB. Suggestions?
 
Gary7 I can't see any drawbacks to cleaning out the old oil and adding fresh oil. Not knowing the tables history I'd have to go on the assumption that no oil was added in the 50 years since the table was mfg. From the photos you posted the SL-110 looks like it was used in a home setting and doesn't have a lot of hours on it, possible the original oil was sufficient to lubricate the bearing and there is minimal wear.
 
Gary7 I can't see any drawbacks to cleaning out the old oil and adding fresh oil. Not knowing the tables history I'd have to go on the assumption that no oil was added in the 50 years since the table was mfg. From the photos you posted the SL-110 looks like it was used in a home setting and doesn't have a lot of hours on it, possible the original oil was sufficient to lubricate the bearing and there is minimal wear.
Though it had the original oil tube, there was not much in it. Looked like most of it leaked onto the plinth around it. Lucky none looks that it got over to the motor area. Yes, very happy with the external appearance. It's not like a lot of TT I find were rode hard and.... you know the rest.
 
Last edited:
Gary7 good news, that leakage of the bearing oil tube "might" indicate that it was opened and used. Possible the prior owner didn't tighten the tube sufficiently. It might be a blessing in disguise if the leaked oil got into the spindle/bearing. I see nothing to be concerned about, far from a complete restoration project.
 
Ya, I can see from your picture the the plate had been bent. This an SP-10MKII/2A service part motor. These came with two transit "clamps" as well. Their primary purpose is to lift the rotor up to prevent axial movement and contact between the shaft and the thrust pad. Same as the original transit plate for the SP-10MKII/2A 'table did. These have a retainer plate under the "clamps" to achieve the right thickness, as if the plastic pieces were originally made for a different motor. When installed in the 'table only the single retainer plate is in place.


View attachment 2915015View attachment 2915016
Ok. I'm looking at your pic. Are there two plates together? Looks to be a metal one on the bottom & the plastic one on top. How thick is the plastic one? If one day I decide to ship it, I could have some made. Probably won't ever find any original.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom