• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The SL-110/Sl-1100 and SP owners club.

Hi there, I just joined the club today with this one. Looking for arm recommandations, i think the arm board I have on it is for sme/black widow.

I can make a new arm board no problem as I’m a guitar builder with lots of tools.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    IMG_8136.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 43
Hi there, I just joined the club today with this one. Looking for arm recommandations, i think the arm board I have on it is for sme/black widow.

I can make a new arm board no problem as I’m a guitar builder with lots of tools.
Have a Grace 707 on mine I like.
 
I was thinking about somthing with a little more mass as I want to use MC carts on this table and my other table can’t take low compliance carts (luxman pd 272 with Ta1 tonearm).
 
The Mission 774 original fits the SME mount. I had one on my 110 and thought it sounded pretty good, better than the SME 3009/2 it came with.
 
Millimetric if you do a AK search there should be plans for the base, if I remember right it just slipped over base no screws. Whatever tonearm you choose it should be period correct many good choices.
 
Millimetric if you do a AK search there should be plans for the base, if I remember right it just slipped over base no screws. Whatever tonearm you choose it should be period correct many good choices.
Found a link that shows mesurments and which screws holes it uses.


I guess ill be making one soon.
 
While waiting to find an arm I started making some armboards and two wood skirts.
One set will stay natural and one set will be oxidized black.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8398.jpeg
    IMG_8398.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8392.jpeg
    IMG_8392.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8391.jpeg
    IMG_8391.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 41
Now playing records with a fidelity research fr-54 tonearm. Going to replace the tonearm board with a wooden one when oil process is done. What a wonderfull table. Amazing.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8468.jpeg
    IMG_8468.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 27
Hi everyone - long time looking but I finally nabbed me an SL1100 - please add me to the list of proud owners! I always loved the version with the wooden armboard but I got an aluminium one dirt cheap. What wasn't cheap was the postage from Japan, but that's karma right there! I am determined to give this lovely table a lot of love and restore it to as close to original condition as possible.

Anyway, here it is, a little worn and with a few issues when it first arrived. There was no headshell and cartridge (first consequential purchase) or strobe (second consequential purchase, on its way), the on/off lamp doesn't light up (third consequential purchase, on its way), the original 33 pitch pot has been replaced (does anyone have one they would sell to me?), the 33 pitch control knob is missing (my fourth purchase, on its way), there is no dustcover (soon to be fifth purchase).

There was a buzz from the speakers when I touched the tonearm so I went exploring. I could see that the RCA jacks have been replaced and, after taking the bottom off, I see there is new (high quality) wiring from there to the tagboard where the tonearm wires are connected (bonus!). However, I found the ground to earth black wire had come loose from the tagboard so I soldered it back on and the table is dead quiet now.

Here is other work I've done so far:
  1. The tonearm lift control was not working at all but luckily it had been tampered with rather than removed so I just fiddled with the tiny nuts on the lever arm until it was working ok. I'm not sure it is entirely as it should be but working well enough is good enough for now.
  2. I added a couple of drops of the original oil into the hole for the spindle, the bottle of which was still fastened by tape to the bottom of the pan and it hadn't leaked.
  3. I inserted a quick squirt of contact cleaner into the pitch pots and gave them a few turns back and forth to remove any dust and detritus, after which I used a rotational speed app on my phone to correct both speeds.
  4. I've cleaned the table and components with a little detergent and warm water on a soft cloth. I can't seem to remove the blemishes on the aluminium armboard (they are discolourations, not scratches or scuffs). I will get some polishing compound and give that a go, avoiding the lettering.
The cartridge and headshell I bought at auction (secondhand) in a hurry - an AT14E cartridge with an AT13E stylus (I think I got that the right way around) - I don't really know how good it is but it was cheap and I was impatient! The table keeps its speed just fine (I know that can be an issue).

So what do I think of the sound quality it delivers? In short, it is wonderful! The bass is strong - quite a bit stronger than my other table (MMF 7.0) and it has great PRAT and drive. The music is presented large and lively and the arm and stylus track really well. I have been waiting a long time to own one and I am not disappointed!

One tiny thing that is a niggling issue is the screw that holds the arm lift bar in place is so large that it impedes the tonearm if you try to swing it across to the edge of the record. You have to lift the arm up a bit to rise above the screw then swing it across and drop it back down onto the armlift in the raised position. Does anyone else find this is the case? I will either get over it or replace the original for one with a smaller head.

MmIENecFQtGbsD4VI3zH9g.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: T68
New armboard on. Oxidized walnut looking sweet. Also 3D printed some headshells.
I’m really in love with this machine, it really is a tank.

Finishing the wood skirt in a couple days.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8547.jpeg
    IMG_8547.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 31
Its almost done, waiting for oil to dry.
Should be assembled today if find a few minutes.

I reversed the holes in the back to have more space to screw in hinges for the dust cover.

I made two in case i get tired of the black oxidized walnut.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8570.jpeg
    IMG_8570.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8572.jpeg
    IMG_8572.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 38
All done!

Now I just need a new dust cover and hinges.
Gonna learn how to bend and glue plexiglass.

It matches pretty well visually with the quad 34/405.

I’ll go spin some records now.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8600.jpeg
    IMG_8600.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8604.jpeg
    IMG_8604.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 42
While waiting to find an arm I started making some armboards and two wood skirts.
One set will stay natural and one set will be oxidized black.
Nice!

What is the oxidizing? Is that the same as ebonizing (black stain) or is there some other chemical process involved?

Enjoy the table. I had many memorable hours with mine.:)
 
Back
Top Bottom