• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Thinking about buying Sony

suprpntr

closet vintage stereo fan
Looking for a vintage Sony receiver with the weighted tuning knob, would like a good one, but not breaking the bank.

I don't know much about the models, looking for opinions here, thinking something like the str 7065?
 
Register to hide this ad
don't think about sony.go with pioneer instead, you'll thank yourself. better cosmetics and design. if it's got to be 1970s vintage, shoot for a 1978 SX-1980. otherwise, go with a 1990 VSX-D1S.
 
So Pioneer is the way to go? I'd check them out, don't know much about them either. Although the one I have in my truck I am very happy with...

I just thought about trying out a different kind of receiver. Since as of this moment I feel that a vintage Marantz is the ultimate power in the receiver universe....
 
Try and find a nice STR-V7 or the STR-V5 from Sony.

IMO our other friend is very wrong. I'd suggest the Sony over the pain-in-the-ear, er....Pioneer. The Sony's look better, sound better and are cheaper.

Sansui and Marantz would be good choices also.

Remember these are my opinions. You will probably be getting several others shortly.
 
In my lineup I have a vintage Sony STR6055. It's built solid and while it's over 35 years old it still plays without any problems. The Sony 60-70 series units were built to a special standard. I also have a Pioneer SX 780 and a Pioneer SX-2700. The SX 780 is a nice unit, but the tuner gave out. I use it as an amp. I also have a kenwood KR 6600 and that is a solid unit. Have fun choosing!
 
IMO the best classic-looking Sony receivers are the STR-V5, STR-V6, and STR-V7. All three are very similar in appearance (beautiful! :thmbsp: ) and sound quality, with each higher number a little more powerful than the previous one. I haven't hear the V5, but I have the V6 and know someone with a V7, and they both sound fine. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one. The STR-7065 is also very nice musically, but a little smaller and not as visually appealing as the big V's.

As for Pioneers, I would suggest the SX-950, SX-1050, or SX-1250, in that order (1250 is most powerful and sounds best). The SX-1980 is even more powerful, but has "unobtanium" parts (output transistors, IIRC) and commands a big premium in the marketplace over the sounds-as-good (maybe better) SX-1250.

With Marantz, there are plenty of nice 22xx and 23xx receivers (2230, 2252B, 2270, 2275, 2285B, 2325, 2330, 2385 are all good; the higher the number,the more power) and the best are the 2500 and 2600, although the latter are higher-priced, and the 2600 has an "unobtanium" toroidal transformer which sometimes goes.

Sansui's good receivers to look for include the 8080, 8080DB, 9090, 9090DB, and the higher-numbered "G" series like the G-8000 and G-9000 (G-801s and G-901s in Europe).

There are other brands worth looking for, too, such as Luxman (the R-1050 is very sweet, and the later R-117 is excellent, too), Rotel (their big receiver is hard to find), and some early or top-of-the-line Fisher and even Harman Kardon, etc...

Set yourself a budget, start looking, and something nice will pop up.
Remember that all of these models are around 30 years old, and WILL need servicing (Cleaning/DeOxit, new electrolytic caps and perhaps other components, setting DC offset, bias and alignment) before they will sound the way they are supposed to. Therefore, if you get one and don't like the sound, get it checked and renovated FIRST, before giving up on it. None of the models mentioned --once fixed up-- should disappoint you, but if you do end up dissatisfied, you can always try a different model, until you find what you like best. Some of us have stacks of receivers, and like children, we love them all, each in a different way, for their individual characteristics and strengths.
 
I've tried Pioneer, Marantz and Sansui and many others.

I ended up with Sony..... a lot of Sony.

The 6200 and the 6060 best any other receiver I've tried. The 7055 is as good as any other.

Anyone who says older silver Sony isn't up to snuff just hasn't listened to any.
 
I have been through a lot of receivers of different brands Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz etc and have ended up keeping a number of Sony early units primarily because the sound was pleasing to my ears. They possess a tone that is "full and bold".
 
I grew up listening to my uncle's Sony. Cannot recall the model number, but it was a beast at around 150 wpc. Fantastic sound. He no longer uses it and it simply languishes. I am waiting until he finally is tired of it and I am gonna grab it.
 
I have a Sony 7045 and it sounds every bit as good as my Marantz 2252 and Kenwood 11000GX. Not quite as much power but still beautiful, and I don't listen at earsplitting levels anyway. :thmbsp:
 
I have a Sony 7065a that is just fantastic, both in sound and looks. I had a Pioneer SX-850 for a long time, but eventually I sold that one. I still have the Sony, so in my house the Sony won out over the Pioneer...
 
Vintage Sony has a special sound. Closer to Marantz 22xx series than Pioneer, I'd say. It all depends upon what you like.
 
Looking for a vintage Sony receiver with the weighted tuning knob, would like a good one, but not breaking the bank.

I don't know much about the models, looking for opinions here, thinking something like the str 7065?

If you step down one level from the TOTL models in a series, the price drops dramatically. An STR-V7 recently went for $200+, while V6s are going for half that or less! You might also look at the 6800 series, and anything in the ES series, along with the models others have mentioned. The ES was a premium line, but they tend to be pricey.:tears:

Sony also made Tuner/Preamp back in the 70s, don't recall the model offhand.:scratch2:

Sorry for the extra posts... the computer froze up on me... how can I delete them?
 
Sony DOES have that sound, the vintage sound. But every piece I own is vintage and every one of them sounds completely different with every speaker too. Sony was no baloney. Was. I really loved the 30 year old stuff they made.
Personally, I WAS a '80's Luxman fan, the BIG GUY, but impedance from the Altecs caused SOMETHING very expensive to be re-built 4 times. I PAID for the Lux four times. Something had to give here. Plus it was a good 55 pounder to haul....
Found the old wooden Pioneers, maybe need a tweak here or there, but if you know the good tweaks in town, you have LOVELY sound on the old 604c's. And I do mean lovely. The SX650 for $35 has been the cheapest and most reliable friend now for 8 years. It's not as heavy, but near. Never needs a tweak. AND I can hook up four Altecs to it and go to town without a trace of distortion. At 1/4 of the volume. Any more is literally painful.
Then I warm up the B3 and Leslie and play along.....the neighbours HATE me.
To each his own.
 
Thanks all for the info on the Sonys.

Also got some plugging for Pioneer and others. But no Technics? Anyone like them?
 
Back
Top Bottom