• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD 160

3mar67

Member
I've got a Thorens TD-110 and am thinking of adding a TD-160 to my "collection." The TD-110 has a strobe light and pitch controler. On the TD-160, how do you determine if the speed is correct, and how do you adjust it? Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Look for something called a strobe disc. Most of the online lp gear dealers have them or there are some you can download free online. You just place these on your platter and watch the correct strobe marks. A good flourescent light bulb is usually helpful.

There's no adjusting the speed really. You just have to look for what might be wrong. Usually a bad belt. Next would be an dry bearing well or dirty bearing well and platter spindle. Next would be a bent motor shaft or dirty pulley.
 
Scott, that's some very good advice you gave.

I just wanted to add a few things.

Bookmark the following pages as they are a great wealth of knowledge.
http://www.theanalogdept.com and http://www.vinylengine.com

The analogdepartment has a very deap section devoted to everything TD160 and the vinylengine has a great forum and links to printable manuals, strobe discs and alignment protractors.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my TD160 and I know you will too. I went from what I thought was a great turntable, a Pioneer PL-12D to the Thorens and it showed me what a different league the Thorens is in. Major!

-Mike
 
When I use a strobe disk on my Thorens it shows that the speed is spot-on with no discernable deviations. Yours will be, too, if you keep it lubricated and use the correct drive belt.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom