• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-630 or Thorens TD-125

CohibaJoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Pioneer PL-630 or Thorens TD-125 MkII

OK..Not sure why the Pioneer PL-630 is sell for $500- $1000???

Do buy this or go with a Thorens TD-125, TD-160...:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Depends on price of the PL-630, for $500 no, 200 maybe. But the Thorens from what I read are pretty good. Belt vs DD.
 
Depends on price of the PL-630, for $500 no, 200 maybe. But the Thorens from what I read are pretty good. Belt vs DD.

Well............. The PL-630 is a pretty neat turntable, maybe the best "consumer" table Pioneer ever made.

There's one guy on eBay who has been trying to flog one for a grand ("It was working when I put it away years ago.") for some time, relisted 5 or 6 times.

Is it worth that? Nope! I doubt any PL-630 is worth that but a good one's worth more than $200. Heck, a "for parts or repair" PL-630 just sold for $165. I think a good one is probably a $350 to $500 table.

John
 
The Pioneer PL-630 is one of the finest TT's I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few.However, $500-$1600 for this TT is just plain silly.I would put the FMV of this at $275-$375 in excellent or better working and cosmetic condition.And for that price it would certainly be worth it.I was fortunate to get one on these on a Buy It Now for $140 in EX condition just a a couple months ago and it's a keeper for sure.
 
The Pioneer PL-630 is one of the finest TT's I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few.However, $500-$1600 for this TT is just plain silly.I would put the FMV of this at $275-$375 in excellent or better working and cosmetic condition.And for that price it would certainly be worth it.I was fortunate to get one on these on a Buy It Now for $140 in EX condition just a a couple months ago and it's a keeper for sure.

Ok..Just went for the PL-630 for $200. This was my Max for this. Very Nice from the pics. Should be here end of the week. I will post some pics.

I will be looking at the DIY thead on referb of PL-630...Cannot wait to dive into this...Just wrapping up a Dual 1019...:D
 
Well............. The PL-630 is a pretty neat turntable, maybe the best "consumer" table Pioneer ever made.

There's one guy on eBay who has been trying to flog one for a grand ("It was working when I put it away years ago.") for some time, relisted 5 or 6 times.

Is it worth that? Nope! I doubt any PL-630 is worth that but a good one's worth more than $200. Heck, a "for parts or repair" PL-630 just sold for $165. I think a good one is probably a $350 to $500 table.

John

Guess, I'll keep an eye out for one :) and the PL-71 and PL-570.

Ok..Just went for the PL-630 for $200. This was my Max for this. Very Nice from the pics. Should be here end of the week. I will post some pics.

I will be looking at the DIY thead on referb of PL-630...Cannot wait to dive into this...Just wrapping up a Dual 1019...:D

Congraduations, hope you enjoy it.
 
Ok..Just went for the PL-630 for $200. This was my Max for this. Very Nice from the pics. Should be here end of the week. I will post some pics.

I will be looking at the DIY thead on referb of PL-630...Cannot wait to dive into this...Just wrapping up a Dual 1019...:D

Does it need work?$200 is excellent price for this.Yes, please show pics when you get it.Im currently running a M97xE with JICO SAS to great effect.
 
Nice score! The PL 630's are now garnering a very inflated price on the site -- seems all of a sudden. The "word" is out so to speak and it's insane.

There's a Stickey in one of the forums "Pioneer Refurb" or something like that. Very detailed and all you could ask for.
 
Yep, I was really surprised to see what they're selling for lately. I was also pretty fortunate, I got mine for $100 off CL a couple years back. It's generally minty, but the dustcover has a very conspicuous hole burned through it, roughly what I'd guess a cigarette would do. :D I have a replacement, but need to buff it out good first, and haven't gotten properly motivated yet. ;) What are you other 630 owners using for carts? I have a Shure M75 type on it now, & like it quite a bit, but I'm not sure if a better stylus or different cart would be better? :scratch2: I've been "thinking" about going to SAS, but that's a pretty good investment for me, so if anyone has a better idea, I'm listening.
 
Audio Technicas AT 440 mla and a Denon DL 160. I kno Shures work well on these TT's....I know, an old thread. Anyone know what the 630 arm is classed as" Medium mass, high mass??
 
It's the high end of "medium"--or the low end of "high." :D Ideally a lower compliance cartridge is a better match, but I've tried Shures, both original and with SAS, the 440MLa, Pickering XSV-3000, and other high compliance carts and they work and sound just great.
 
Back
Top Bottom