• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Three-Way Horn System w/ PRV D2200Ph Midrange & ZXPC 18x10 Horn

If you are going to be upgrading and/or modifying an existing or maybe building a new speaker, the tweeter is always the next topic to be explored. The SMAHL horn and driver are definitely worthy of using, especially if you have an existing Heritage speaker.

However, if you are building new or have room on top of an existing speaker, you may want to consider the Dayton Audio screw-on H07E waveguide. It is like a big SAMHL horn and has great sonics.

Mate it to your favorite tweeter compression driver and you'll be all set. The B&C DE120 or LaVoce DE10.142LK are recommended.

Edit: DF10.142LK, not DE10.142.LK

Dayton Audio H07E Waveguide

View attachment 2801223 View attachment 2801224
Any thoughts on how the original APT-50 driver that Bob used in the CT-125 tweeter compares to either of those two?

I remember Bob saying that when Eminence changed their source and switched to the external mounting thread that they no longer measured as well and that seemed to be part of why he made the switch to the B&C drivers.

I’ve had a pair of the CT-125’s from the first run in my H1’s for the past 17 years or so and they sound good but I think the T35 style horn is a bit limiting.
Around the same time I bought a pair of the Eminence APT-150, same driver on the larger 100x50 horn and they are what Bruce ended up putting on the LS which I now have.
I think the APT-150 sounds better than the CT-125 horn in my Heresy’s.

interestingly enough it looks like Tonsil in Poland still makes the original APT-50 driver and they are only around $17 plus whatever shipping nonsense to get them imported.
 
The APT-50 is phenolic which I like the sound of, but the B&C DE120 or LAVoce DF10.142.LK are the latest in high frequency compression drivers using Mylar (polyester) diaphagms and advanced phase plugs. They have a super smooth response and sound very natural when used with the proper horn. They are probably the closet thing to a nice dome tweeter, but compression based.

Since they are so inexpensive, you may want to try the Celestion H1SC-8050 waveguide. These new(er) offerings have no sharp edges or abrupt angle changes and it really helps to offer a great horn presentation without the horn anomalies.
 
Last edited:
The adapters to fit the old style APT-50 to the standard thread are pretty hard to come by.
*edit*
I found a place in Europe that had some APT3 in stock and placed an order.
I’ll give the Dayton horn a try with the apt-50 when the adapters get here.
*edit*

I may just order the B&C drivers and the Dayton horn.
Is there a recommended adapter to go from the 4 bolt driver to the threads on the Dayton horn?
 
Last edited:
I may just order the B&C drivers and the Dayton horn.
Is there a recommended adapter to go from the 4 bolt driver to the threads on the Dayton horn?
Neither b&c are 4 bolt.

The de10 is 2 bolt and the de120 is 2 or 3 bolt. Parts express has the tech drawings for the spacing. I’m sure fleabay has some adapters that will work. Even if you need to drill out additional holes.
 
Neither b&c are 4 bolt.

The de10 is 2 bolt and the de120 is 2 or 3 bolt. Parts express has the tech drawings for the spacing. I’m sure fleabay has some adapters that will work. Even if you need to drill out additional holes.
D’oh.
I was looking at the LaVoce driver when I wrote that.
 
This adapter works for 4 bolt, 3 bolt or 2 bolt. It will work on the LaVoce, just use 2 bolts. I am doing that now. Seals fine.

upload_2023-2-20_12-21-4.png
 
I have pair of these that I was going to use with K-53 drivers and my K-604 horns, but I opted for a different pair of PRV drivers that were threaded. Make me an offer if you want them.

This adapter works for 4 bolt, 3 bolt or 2 bolt. It will work on the LaVoce, just use 2 bolts. I am doing that now. Seals fine.

View attachment 2805322
 
I have pair of these that I was going to use with K-53 drivers and my K-604 horns, but I opted for a different pair of PRV drivers that were threaded. Make me an offer if you want them.
Thanks for the offer but I think I’m going to wait until I see how the APT-50 sounds once it’s adapters get here.
I did go ahead and order a pair of the H07E horns.

As good as the LS are sounding with the bigger midrange horn it’s got me thinking about I might use for my Heresy’s.
 
I'm following enthusiastically. I've been building ideas in my head for a mid or mid and tweeter to put on top of my Peavey FH-1. This looks like the right thread to follow!

Can you confirm for me that this is the right 18 x 10 horn?
http://www.zxpc.us/product-p/231420420855.htm

I have the PRV D2200PH in my cart right now for PE.

I do have a pair of Selenium D3305Ti in my collection at home. I wonder how those would work? Is anyone familiar with the driver?

In general, I think I want to follow the crowd in this situation as I can follow along with the crossover design that others are using. In said PE cart, I also have the B&C DE10 and the Dayton H07E. Thank you @THD+N for the vote of confidence that the newer horns are absent the horn anomalies... I was going to get the Denovo version but it seems no longer available. The PE version is cheaper as well. Another plus...

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

Smiley
 
I'm following enthusiastically. I've been building ideas in my head for a mid or mid and tweeter to put on top of my Peavey FH-1. This looks like the right thread to follow!

Can you confirm for me that this is the right 18 x 10 horn?
http://www.zxpc.us/product-p/231420420855.htm

I have the PRV D2200PH in my cart right now for PE.

I do have a pair of Selenium D3305Ti in my collection at home. I wonder how those would work? Is anyone familiar with the driver?

In general, I think I want to follow the crowd in this situation as I can follow along with the crossover design that others are using. In said PE cart, I also have the B&C DE10 and the Dayton H07E. Thank you @THD+N for the vote of confidence that the newer horns are absent the horn anomalies... I was going to get the Denovo version but it seems no longer available. The PE version is cheaper as well. Another plus...

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

Smiley

How ironic... I too have a pair of D3305Ti's. On the 18x10 horn, the D2200Ph has a nice flat response. The D3305Ti is not as flat and needs EQ to be flat. This EQ could be passive or active.

I'm contemplating selling the D3305Ti's for another pair of D2200Ph's.

The DE10 and 18x10 horn on top of the FH-1 will sound very good. Be prepared to be stunned by what you hear. I'm not kidding.
 
How ironic... I too have a pair of D3305Ti's. On the 18x10 horn, the D2200Ph has a nice flat response. The D3305Ti is not as flat and needs EQ to be flat. This EQ could be passive or active.

I'm contemplating selling the D3305Ti's for another pair of D2200Ph's.

The DE10 and 18x10 horn on top of the FH-1 will sound very good. Be prepared to be stunned by what you hear. I'm not kidding.
As an owner of many FH-1's and SP-1's (FH-1 with built in horn), I concur with your post and what he will hear. The Selenium has the typical "sizzle" between 10-20 Kz. I have always shied away from EQ on the Titanium diaphragms and roll them off at 4 Khz. and used a tweeter instead.
 
I'm following enthusiastically. I've been building ideas in my head for a mid or mid and tweeter to put on top of my Peavey FH-1. This looks like the right thread to follow!

Can you confirm for me that this is the right 18 x 10 horn?
http://www.zxpc.us/product-p/231420420855.htm

I have the PRV D2200PH in my cart right now for PE.

I do have a pair of Selenium D3305Ti in my collection at home. I wonder how those would work? Is anyone familiar with the driver?

In general, I think I want to follow the crowd in this situation as I can follow along with the crossover design that others are using. In said PE cart, I also have the B&C DE10 and the Dayton H07E. Thank you @THD+N for the vote of confidence that the newer horns are absent the horn anomalies... I was going to get the Denovo version but it seems no longer available. The PE version is cheaper as well. Another plus...

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

Smiley
Member @rmlowz63 has an FH-1 that he is experimenting with... he loves it so far.
 
Thank you @Invidiosulus, @ClaudeJ1, and @THD+N, my orders are sent! I appreciate all the help!

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it! I refurbed a nice pair of La Scala in October and then sold them with the confidence that I could build something (better) with the parts I had and could put together.

@ClaudeJ1, I owe that to you, as I followed your advise from the old Klipsch forum a couple years back and picked up a pair of FH-1 and Eminence Kappa 15c.

I still have a lot of digging out to do to make room for my projects but I'm feeling the itchings of spring and time to roll up the garage doors here in Michigan. Apparently we have a storm coming through this week, but I'll continue to think spring!
 
Member @rmlowz63 has an FH-1 that he is experimenting with... he loves it so far.
I one original pair with braces (later model) and another without that I cut off the rear portion to V-mount Two Alpha 15" drivers in an H box Open Baffle configuration. The bass detail in a good Open Baffle rivals horn bass in definition, since it's decoupled from the room. My favorite speakers at Axpona about 8 years ago were #1) The (best of show winner at $40,000) Sadurni Stacatto Horns, and the "Spatial" Open baffle, which were only about $2,000!
 
That driver looks pretty good to me. Get the horns, then try the driver you already own. Yes those are the correct horns. I have a pair and I'm about the curve the PH drivers. Maybe tomorrow.
Thank you ClaudeJ1, I did leave the Selenium off my order, if only for the time being...

I'll give the Selenium a good listen. I have a few other horns and drivers kicking about that I should try, including a big old EV HP6040...
 
Thank you @Invidiosulus, @ClaudeJ1, and @THD+N, my orders are sent! I appreciate all the help!

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it! I refurbed a nice pair of La Scala in October and then sold them with the confidence that I could build something (better) with the parts I had and could put together.

@ClaudeJ1, I owe that to you, as I followed your advise from the old Klipsch forum a couple years back and picked up a pair of FH-1 and Eminence Kappa 15c.

I still have a lot of digging out to do to make room for my projects but I'm feeling the itchings of spring and time to roll up the garage doors here in Michigan. Apparently we have a storm coming through this week, but I'll continue to think spring!
I'm in north central North Carolina (Not Detroit... but) where we have four definite seasons and I hear you about Spring coming.
 
Back
Top Bottom