• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Three-Way Horn System w/ PRV D2200Ph Midrange & ZXPC 18x10 Horn

How ironic... I too have a pair of D3305Ti's. On the 18x10 horn, the D2200Ph has a nice flat response. The D3305Ti is not as flat and needs EQ to be flat. This EQ could be passive or active.

I'm contemplating selling the D3305Ti's for another pair of D2200Ph's.

The DE10 and 18x10 horn on top of the FH-1 will sound very good. Be prepared to be stunned by what you hear. I'm not kidding.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing...selling the Selenium, but there is no rush on that. I am thinking about having a big yard sale this spring...

About how they will sound...currently my FH-1 are in the garage. When spring comes, I'll build a mount for the ZXPC and Dayton horns and roll them out into the driveway for testing :) That is where I did my testing when I refurbed the La Scalas. It will be fun to see how these compare. My neighbors have gotten use to my music outside and all have shared they like it (well, all those that have said something).
 
I'm in north central North Carolina (Not Detroit... but) where we have four definite seasons and I hear you about Spring coming.
Ha, I’m in western NC an hour north of Asheville and the weather the past few weeks has been an absolute roller coaster.
 
I really like my FH1s.I also have 15Cs in this set with K402s I went to Alabama two weeks ago to get a pair of SP1s mainly for the bass bins
Oh my, that's quite a set-up you have there!

I understand that big horn on the SP-1 is a good one. Paint that one Cherry Red!
 
Yes, and like the Belle, it’s about 30 inches wide and doesn’t have the non expanding section of the bass horn that the LS has due to the straight walls on the sides of the doghouse.
A Belle is awfully close to being an FH1 with the front chopped off.
 
Speaking of bass enclosures… if anyone ever ports an early heritage LaScala (mine are circa 1974, not too familiar with other versions), you will definitely want to go the "whole 9 yards" and use an active EQ with high pass filter and EQ boost @ 40Hz. This will bring out the best in the port modification. Below is the circuit I made based on old info from forum threads;

If you can breadboard a circuit, it has minimal parts. Any +/- 9 ~ 15VDC power supply will operate it.

18dB Infrasonic Filter with Bass EQ @ 40Hz_v1.0.0_103021.png


Electrical Frequency Response (Simulated)
upload_2023-2-20_23-49-3.png
 
I really like my FH1s.I also have 15Cs in this set with K402s I went to Alabama two weeks ago to get a pair of SP1s mainly for the bass bins
Got my first pair of SP-1's for the Photo Studio in early 2000's. Also had Heresy's and Chorus II's there. The FH1's sounded the best in a 30x50 ft. room with a 16 foot church ceiling.
 
you will definitely want to go the "whole 9 yards" and use an active EQ with high pass filter and EQ boost @ 40Hz. This will bring out the best in the port modification. Below is the circuit I made based on old info from forum threads;
Nice way to round out the sound without a Subwoofer. Somebody's been experimenting more than just a bit!
 
Last edited:
I really like my FH1s.I also have 15Cs in this set with K402s I went to Alabama two weeks ago to get a pair of SP1s mainly for the bass bins
You will find that the horn on top is really pretty good with the Aluminum Diaphragm in the driver (square magnet, I assume?). That bin stops being a Horn at 90 Hz. and rolls off at a tad less than 10 Khz., but if you have Bass and Treble tone controls at about "2 O'Clock" you will find music sound pretty darn good through them. That bass bin is so much better than a 70's LaScala bass bin in terms of expansion, construction, etc. but gets blown away by my Quarter Pie Horn, MWM, and Super MWM!
 
Thanks Claude, I have both the square magnet and the round magnet 22 and 22A I will try both. This last pair I got has the Eminence Square magnet woofers instead of the Black Widows. In the research I have done the bass guitar people like the square magnet sound better, but it will not take the 600-watt power we will see. I have a pair of black widows to try also.
 
Thanks Claude, I have both the square magnet and the round magnet 22 and 22A I will try both. This last pair I got has the Eminence Square magnet woofers instead of the Black Widows. In the research I have done the bass guitar people like the square magnet sound better, but it will not take the 600-watt power we will see. I have a pair of black widows to try also.
For HiFi, all you need is 5 Watts. The A version should sound better, assuming the other is the T version.
 
I jumped the gun and ordered 2 of these drivers. I have 4 large Bruce Edgar Style Tractrix Horns (as copied by Greg at Volti, but mine are bigger for lower cutoff). One has a huge JBL 2" 2485 Phenolic Driver that tanks at 4 Khz. but goes down to 300. My other pair has no drivers, so I will test that horn as well as the ZXPC 18x10. I'll post the curves later but don't hold your breath. You guys are costing me more money and time than I have. But this "DIY Audio Disease" must be medicated with more gear!

BTW, I also looked at the MFG Specs of the more expensive version (D3200Ph) and it's very far from being as flat as this one, so I chose not to try it. We shall see. The curves never lie.

Hopefully I won't need to return them if they measure as good as your curves or sound as good as you say.
Hey Claude, did you ever get the PRV D2200Ph's delivered? Just checking in...
 
Hey Claude, did you ever get the PRV D2200Ph's delivered? Just checking in...
Yes, but I had a mild heart attack Tuesday night (the Third on 3 days in a row). So I just got released from Hospital on Sat after angioplasty/stent in the "widow maker artery" on Friday.

Quick change of priorities, but I'm fine. Drove myself there and back. I do have 3 great kids who were awesome during the 4 day stay.

I also have other drivers in boxes yet to measure, but yes I got those PRV's as they were a bargain?

Did you Get the Peavy stack yet?
 
Yes, but I had a mild heart attack Tuesday night (the Third on 3 days in a row). So I just got released from Hospital on Sat after angioplasty on Friday. Quick change of priorities. I also have other drivers in boxes yet to measure, but yes I got those PRV's as they were a bargain? Get the Peavy stack yet?
oh my goodness.
Please take care of yourself.
I just lost a good friend after some complications following his recent heart surgery.
 
oh my goodness.
Please take care of yourself.
I just lost a good friend after some complications following his recent heart surgery.
A real wake up call to lose weight by diet, exercise, and too many drugs to take now (something I avoided my whole life). I have not looked like my Avatar for years. Fatter, balder, and uglier is a reality of life! Thank You.
 
Yes, but I had a mild heart attack Tuesday night (the Third on 3 days in a row). So I just got released from Hospital on Sat after angioplasty/stent in the "widow maker artery" on Friday.

Quick change of priorities, but I'm fine. Drove myself there and back. I do have 3 great kids who were awesome during the 4 day stay.

I also have other drivers in boxes yet to measure, but yes I got those PRV's as they were a bargain?

Did you Get the Peavy stack yet?
Well all this pales in comparison to your health. Get well & healthy. I have been trying to change my eating habits to avert health problems, but it is soooo hard to change your ways.

No health issues yet. I don't have to take cholesterol or blood pressure medication for my age. I only take vitamins and supplements. Got my fingers crossed.
 
Back
Top Bottom