• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Three-Way Horn System w/ PRV D2200Ph Midrange & ZXPC 18x10 Horn

Very efficient use of all the cubic feet you are working with. Kudos Royale!

Adding more Air Volume is what Roy did in the new Jubilee. No sense in fighting physics, like the High Distortion Direct Radiator Crowd of Malpractioner Lemmings out there!

Since PWK always maintained that "the Midrage is where we live," getting the distortion as low as possible was/is the goal. I'm sure this sounds terrific!

Don't tell anyone, but I secretly call it my "Baby Jujube". I think it sounds fantastic, but my opinion is biased.
 
Yes. I definitely fall into that mindset and you can’t convince me otherwise.
Not trying to convince you of anything. Just pointing out that the journey never ends, like you have done, entering into it. It's both fun and rewarding. Wasn't being negative at all, just realistic, after after years of the journey's experience ahead of you.
 
This is the reason I spent a year with the LS Marvel gave me before I started modding.
I wanted to be really familiar with them and not just changing for the sake of change.
 
We Modders and Amateur Speaker Designers (Horns included) are victims of Beranek's Law!
Beranek's Law = Personal bias, for lack of a better phrase. I too am guilty of it, but frequency (and phase) response plays a big part of it for me.
 
Beranek's Law = Personal bias, for lack of a better phrase. I too am guilty of it, but frequency (and phase) response plays a big part of it for me.
I do the same thing. Like my Super Heresy Mod, for which you found a cheaper woofer with identical TSP's. If you measure and listen after the Simulation, you will get an improvement or not. It's applied Science, after all. Klipsch Inc. took offense to the idea we Amateurs could Improve their, sacred, 40+ year old products with modern components and free methods. Which is why we are here now. Can't say I blame them, however.
 
I do the same thing. Like my Super Heresy Mod, for which you found a cheaper woofer with identical TSP's. If you measure and listen after the Simulation, you will get an improvement or not. It's applied Science, after all. Klipsch Inc. took offense to the idea we Amateurs could Improve their, sacred, 40+ year old products with modern components and free methods. Which is why we are here now. Can't say I blame them, however.
I still believe without a doubt, that Bob Crites Cornscala popularity was a direct result of the Cornwall IV using a big giant midrange horn.

I know you to did this Claude, but I think Bob really made Klipsch take a hard look at making it a reality in the IV.
 
I still believe without a doubt, that Bob Crites Cornscala popularity was a direct result of the Cornwall IV using a big giant midrange horn.

I know you to did this Claude, but I think Bob really made Klipsch take a hard look at making it a reality in the IV.
I mentioned to Michael that he should take a look at doing a ported version of their CS2 with the Eminence woofer, but he didn’t seem terribly interested. With their tweeter with the DE120 driver, they’re nearly there already. Another $100 in material at most, minimal additional labor and they could make another $400 in profit, while undercutting the IV by $700…
 
I mentioned to Michael that he should take a look at doing a ported version of their CS2 with the Eminence woofer, but he didn’t seem terribly interested. With their tweeter with the DE120 driver, they’re nearly there already. Another $100 in material at most, minimal additional labor and they could make another $400 in profit, while undercutting the IV by $700…
Basically, Bob (RIP) and his son Mike (met both in Hope 2007 Underground Jubefest) started out supplying parts, for the Heritage Line, that were not supported by Klipsch. That evolved, by demand, into the supplier they are today, riding on the back of older Klipsch products. Klipsch Inc. is a far cry from PWK's company now, having been sold Twice to more "corporate" people where most of their money is made from Chinese mad products, like everyone else. Michael Crites is quite happy with the way things have evolved for his family, I'm sure.
 
I still believe without a doubt, that Bob Crites Cornscala popularity was a direct result of the Cornwall IV using a big giant midrange horn.

I know you to did this Claude, but I think Bob really made Klipsch take a hard look at making it a reality in the IV.


If my memory is correct, Bob did the original Cornscala with a K400 horn and spare parts that he wanted to use to test components. The thread was called "Let's build a test box' or something like that.
 
If my memory is correct, Bob did the original Cornscala with a K400 horn and spare parts that he wanted to use to test components. The thread was called "Let's build a test box' or something like that.
Correct. And "CS" in their loudpeaker line stands for "Crites Speaker," since they don't need to get sued by Klipsch for Trademark Violations. The only reason I get away with Super Heresy is it's a MODification to a real Klipsch Heresy Cabinet, not a clone, which I would call a Super H1 or 2, or 3 if it wasn't built in Hope.
 
Correct. And "CS" in their loudpeaker line stands for "Crites Speaker," since they don't need to get sued by Klipsch for Trademark Violations. The only reason I get away with Super Heresy is it's a MODification to a real Klipsch Heresy Cabinet, not a clone, which I would call a Super H1 or 2, or 3 if it wasn't built in Hope.
I think it is your long history with Roy too. He keeps it there out of respect of your friendship, which is understandable.
 
Correct. And "CS" in their loudpeaker line stands for "Crites Speaker," since they don't need to get sued by Klipsch for Trademark Violations. The only reason I get away with Super Heresy is it's a MODification to a real Klipsch Heresy Cabinet, not a clone, which I would call a Super H1 or 2, or 3 if it wasn't built in Hope.
Most of our mods these days really are heresies in the church of Klipsch.
I guess the real question is which ones are material or formal heretics?
 
Ok, my PRV D2200’s and ZXPC 18x10 horns arrived. These are going on top of my 1976 Cornwall decorators with Crites 1526C woofers and SMAHL tweeters. Once complete installing I’ll listen for awhile and then come to you experts for advice on recommended changes to the B-2 crossovers I’m using. Also have a set of Type B crossovers I can fool around with. Maybe convert one of these sets to universals?
 
@lissenup, I think you might want to put a .3mH coil between the squawker output to the NEGATIVE(?) connection on the barrier strip on your B-2 crossover?

The PRV D2200Ph runs all the way to 9000hz and doesn’t roll of naturally at 6000 like the K-55.

If you have the notion of building ALK Universals down the road, you will need that coil value anyway.
 

Attachments

  • C9F6A10C-9614-499B-8580-C5532D618D11.png
    C9F6A10C-9614-499B-8580-C5532D618D11.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
If you are going with a simple 6dB/octave low pass on the D2200Ph to start, a 0.25mH will put you right at 6000Hz. A 0.3mH will work, but will bring the crossover a bit lower to 5000Hz and there may be an audible "gap" in the transition to the tweeter crossover frequency.

The D2200Ph seems to sound the best with a universal network crossed at 400Hz~6000Hz (6000Hz~6500Hz range allowable).
 
Back
Top Bottom