• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

To Veneer or Not to Veneer - Impact on Value?

Westlind

Rank Amateur
Hi Gang - hoping to hear some general opinions on whether to veneer turntable plinths with real wood. I have a Pioneer PL-12D and am very likely to pick up a very nice PL-570. I really like Pioneer turntables, but really don't like the vinyl veneer Pioneer used, even on their higher end stuff. My other gear is real wood (Tandberg receiver, Sansui speakers), and I would love to veneer the turntables with real wood veneer. I plan on keeping both for the foreseeable future. And, I'm a decent woodworker and confident in my abilities to do a good job. There are some amazing examples of veneered Pioneer turntables out there.

BUT - as much as I would enjoy the project and the result, I really don't want to do something that would decrease the overall value of my gear. Both tables' vinyl is in reasonable (but imperfect) shape. Assuming that I do a pro-quality job of veneering, will I be decreasing the resale and/or historical value of the gear? The 12D has an obviously lower value, so I'm less concerned about it, but would you all veneer a PL-570 with one small ding in the original vinyl?

Thanks in advance - Dennis
 
Register to hide this ad
I hate vinyl veneer. So yes I would veneer it in wood. In fact I did my Pl-530 in Maple veneer. Ended up selling for more than I paid for it.
 
I think that real wood veneer, when properly applied, is almost always an upgrade to a piece of vintage gear. In the case of the PL-570 and similar Pioneer turntables, you aren't really modifying or changing the turntable, just enhancing the look and feel. Most anyone would pay more for real wood rather than vinyl. I say go for it.
 
The thing to do is to look at "Completed listings" on eBay for examples of PL-570s, 550s and 530s with and without wood veneer. You might also look at PL-514s, 516s, 518s and 560s. These, with their silver vinyl, are perhaps better candidates than the others with their fragile and peel-prone two layer wood grain vinyl. The silver is far less attractive than the walnut grain and the disassembly is far easier.

What you'll find is an apparent "cottage industry" of folks selling these turntables with a variety of real wood veneers. The prices are double or triple what the stock examples go for. Of course the quality of the work has to be there. You'll probably see a table or two showing bad workmanship - things like ragged cuts and sanded through corners.

John
 
I agree with the above. Real wood wouldn't hurt their value and it could help. You might not get your money back in terms of labour and materials but if you are keeping them anyway that should not matter. It's not like these are Picassos or something and someone decided to do a paint by numbers on it. ;)

PicassoGuernica.jpg
 
So far, it sounds like most of us are of like mind. In the case of the PL-570, I would lose the "Quartz Synchro Plus" decal, which would be a bit of a departure from the "stock" look. I usually find those kind of hype stickers on gear to be vulgar, so I won't miss it. And, it's just veneer - if you screw it up, you just remove it and try again.
 
I agree with the above. Real wood wouldn't hurt their value and it could help. You might not get your money back in terms of labour and materials but if you are keeping them anyway that should not matter. It's not like these are Picassos or something and someone decided to do a paint by numbers on it. ;)

PicassoGuernica.jpg

Or colorizing Guernica.

John
 
Or colorizing Guernica.

John

Yeah, that does look off doesn't it. It's the Wikipedia image.

The painting of Guernica was used as the cover of my history text book in grade 10 I think. I'll never forget it for that reason alone, bit I don't think it stayed pure white and black after carrying to school for 10 months. .
 
Or colorizing Guernica.

It's the Wikipedia image.
That's Wikipedia?! Crowd-sourced Art History? Picasso painted it pure black-and-white because he wanted the stark visceral power and immediacy of a newspaper photo; that sepia-tint emasculates it.
I really don't want to do something that would decrease the overall value of my gear.
It doesn't matter with most gear: the veneer is an enhancement. But some "classics" are untouchable. I had some LS3/5A speakers, drab to begin with and also all scratched and scuffed up. I veneered them beautifully in teak — it actually lowered the value when I sold them... "Objet d'Art — Ne Touchez Pas!"
 
Last edited:
Hi Gang - hoping to hear some general opinions on whether to veneer turntable plinths with real wood. I have a Pioneer PL-12D and am very likely to pick up a very nice PL-570. I really like Pioneer turntables, but really don't like the vinyl veneer Pioneer used, even on their higher end stuff. My other gear is real wood (Tandberg receiver, Sansui speakers), and I would love to veneer the turntables with real wood veneer. I plan on keeping both for the foreseeable future. And, I'm a decent woodworker and confident in my abilities to do a good job. There are some amazing examples of veneered Pioneer turntables out there.

BUT - as much as I would enjoy the project and the result, I really don't want to do something that would decrease the overall value of my gear. Both tables' vinyl is in reasonable (but imperfect) shape. Assuming that I do a pro-quality job of veneering, will I be decreasing the resale and/or historical value of the gear? The 12D has an obviously lower value, so I'm less concerned about it, but would you all veneer a PL-570 with one small ding in the original vinyl?

Thanks in advance - Dennis
Great timing lol,I am also restoring a pl12d, but instead of vinyl, chose to paint it gloss black this coming weekend, they are a great table when modded, and with a nice cart, I added a maple TV tray top, to the plinth bottom, also lead tire weights stuck under the plastic top, and stones/slate/rubber to the plinth. The little pl12d is a belt drive with rca jacks running directly to the cart, just like the best tables you can buy. I cant wait to get mine finished. I have the platter suspension springs tightened direct ,and will make the suspension in the feet like my direct drives. I am also doing a similar table to your pl570, I will be leaving the top wood and adding the larger thorens style wood sides boxing in the actual table it adds some heft and size, also going to spend on some nice feet. Great table platforms you have Westlind. For finish ideas I usually google thorens custom plinths
 

Attachments

  • 20170501_095107.jpg
    20170501_095107.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170501_094816.jpg
    20170501_094816.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170501_095515.jpg
    20170501_095515.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 79
The boxed in lets you keep it original if you choose, just remove it from the enclosure, as long as the top is nice, black looks great with a vintage pioneer name plate and the wood top showing
 
Hi Gang - hoping to hear some general opinions on whether to veneer turntable plinths with real wood. I have a Pioneer PL-12D and am very likely to pick up a very nice PL-570. I really like Pioneer turntables, but really don't like the vinyl veneer Pioneer used, even on their higher end stuff. My other gear is real wood (Tandberg receiver, Sansui speakers), and I would love to veneer the turntables with real wood veneer. I plan on keeping both for the foreseeable future. And, I'm a decent woodworker and confident in my abilities to do a good job. There are some amazing examples of veneered Pioneer turntables out there.

BUT - as much as I would enjoy the project and the result, I really don't want to do something that would decrease the overall value of my gear. Both tables' vinyl is in reasonable (but imperfect) shape. Assuming that I do a pro-quality job of veneering, will I be decreasing the resale and/or historical value of the gear? The 12D has an obviously lower value, so I'm less concerned about it, but would you all veneer a PL-570 with one small ding in the original vinyl?

Thanks in advance - Dennis

If you can do a professional grade job, then veneering in real wood should increase the value. There may be some, but I would venture to say that most are not nostalgic about contact paper...:biggrin:
 
The turntable is, after all, most likely 'on display' in your room, and as such, it should look attractive and of a standard of finish you find acceptable.

At the end of the day, it's just an old 70s turntable with plastic vinyl wrap on it and refinishing in a more luxurious finish is warranted IMO.

The value will be enhanced to the right person if the job is excellent.
 
The turntable is, after all, most likely 'on display' in your room, and as such, it should look attractive and of a standard of finish you find acceptable.

At the end of the day, it's just an old 70s turntable with plastic vinyl wrap on it and refinishing in a more luxurious finish is warranted IMO.

The value will be enhanced to the right person if the job is excellent.

:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom