• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's Progressive Rock Tunes

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, 1969 [24-bit Japanese Remaster] -- Another day, another listen. Best version of this excellent album that I have ever heard -- vinyl, tape or digital.
 
Not exactly rock, but definitely progressive:

Various Artists - Music from Mathematics, 1962

Sleeve quote: "Played by I.B.M. 7090 Computer and Digital to Sound Transducer"
 
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King, 1969 [24-bit Japanese Remaster] -- Another day, another listen. Best version of this excellent album that I have ever heard -- vinyl, tape or digital.

If I remember thats a SACD. If so , will it still be an improvement over previous versions on a regular CDP?
 
If I remember thats a SACD. If so , will it still be an improvement over previous versions on a regular CDP?

If "SACD" = "HDCD", then yes. I don't see "SACD" on the digipak scribbling or obi, but then maybe it's been rendered in Japanese? In any case I do not have an SACD CDP, just a Rega, but this disc still sounds better than both of my vinyl copies (UK Island & MFSL) and any other CD I have ever tried. It's important to note that while this a Japanese RI, it is the Robert Fripp Remix which makes all the difference, especially with respect -- and this is a bit of a surprise given Fripp -- to the "bringing forward" of Greg Lake's vocals, which in all previous mixes sounded like they were recorded w/out the benefit of a mic. Hell, I think he actually pushed back the guitar sounds - rhythm guitar especially - as a means of achieving this end. A most magnanimous gesture on Fripp's part, if you ask me, and strong indication that he executed this remix to serve the music, not himself.
 
Good analysis about Lake's vocals. I'm not much into Fripp's RI because I usually dont hear "the difference" . Looks like this one will be the exception.
 
Good analysis about Lake's vocals. I'm not much into Fripp's RI because I usually dont hear "the difference" . Looks like this one will be the exception.

Eh, I suppose the Japanese remastering engineers had some hand in the improvements to this album. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom