• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top 10 holy grail cassette decks?

Nak CR-4 - amazing deck IMO. Whether it’s allowed to be in the Top 10 I really have no idea, but on the basis I simply judge a cassette deck on how good the recording verses original performance is, the CR-4 recording ability is perfect.
 
we need to define holy grail as not everyone's is the same eh. For example, my holy grail car is the Jaguar E-Type, which I was lucky enough to own for many yrs.

Was it the most coveted Jaguar? Hell no, the XJ13 "might" take that honor, but who knows for sure. Even so, I would still rather own the E-Type, I would be afraid to use the XJ13 just due to its value and rarity.

1966-Jaguar-XJ13-Replica-by-Tempero_22.jpg

So, not everyone's "holy grail" has to be the most expensive or best deck ever made, just the one they lust after.
 
Agree, everyone's definition of grail is different. Mine is the one I don't have because of cost, rarity or both. Doesn't have to the "best" either although many times it is. For me, I'd have to say the 1000ZXL is that grail deck. Not sure why a pro choice deck makes it a grail... but again everyone has their own definition.
 
Rack handles make it grail worthy? :dunno:

exoected as much, thank you for making my point.

The Tascam isn't my grail deck, but it might be for many. First because they aren't cheap, second because it'll be working long after many other "better" decks won't, third because they're available.

My grail deck has always been the Dragon, but as the true Grail is unobtainable so is my desire to pay what one goes for, my MR1 is close enough for me, especially as it was free.

My grail turntable was within reason but also more than I wanted to spend, thankfully it's rarity and obscurity brought it to a price I thought a steal, even if it did spend 35yrs on my bucket list lol.
 
Wow. Good week for you. Bunch of Grace F8’s and now free tape decks. I need more Karma like you have. ;)

I was given the MR1 by a customer about 20yrs ago not working, needed a new idler tire. I tired of changing the tire over the yrs, it's now gear driven.

And I would gladly give you my karma, dad killed in a car accident when I was 2, oldest brother when I was 6, it's gone down hill from there, you're welcome to it.

As for deals I get, those are due to the many searches I have set on eBay and yrs of patience. Many think you can't get good deals on eBay, it's the only place I shop for used gear.

Like the deal I waited 35yrs for, my bucket list turntable. Retailed for $3495 back in 1985, picked mine up 18 months ago for $650.
20200927_164417.jpg

And it came with these cables
Screenshot_20210207-092312.png

but again, luck definitely had nothing to do with it. the table was relisted 4 times before I made an offer he had to refuse but didn't.
 
Last edited:
Many think you can't get goid deals on eBay, it's the only place I shop for used gear.

Agree. However, it’s not the only place I shop for audio but it’s my primary source. I have a couple dozen searches set and get email on those every morning. That’s the only way to do it in my opinion. That is if you want a good or reasonable deal on something. Patience goes a long way in getting what your after. Good luck shopping.
 
Agree. However, it’s not the only place I shop for audio but it’s my primary source. I have a couple dozen searches set and get email on those every morning. That’s the only way to do it in my opinion. That is if you want a good or reasonable deal on something. Patience goes a long way in getting what your after. Good luck shopping.

I'm 64 and still working full time, it's the only place I have the time and energy to shop, I want my stuff delivered.
 
Barter Town, Audiogon, USAudio Mart, Garage Sale on the Klipsch forums, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc… there are plenty of other places to buy good audio at good prices besides eBay.
 
Back
Top Bottom