• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top 10 holy grail cassette decks?

Well I"ll let you buy those! In the mean time I'll play with my Dragon.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who buy audio gear judging by looks. Especially meters.

I mean, looks aren't the only thing to consider no, but some value it higher than other for various reasons. No need to be weird about it. Everyone is in this hobby for their own reasons.
Other people's desires not aligning with your own doesn't take anything away from you. :)
 
For looks, the only correct answer is the Marantz 5220

Yes, I agree.
I confess to being an uninformed dummy where tape decks are concerned.

I believe that the only possible justification that I can find is using this tape deck to record some radio shows that I stream.

I haven't seen anything bad about the 5220 but when I think about how cool it would look sitting next to my 2245 all logic flies out the window.

I'm not quite so enamored that I'd buy one that wasn't even working...but pretty close.
 
Yes, I agree.
I confess to being an uninformed dummy where tape decks are concerned.

I believe that the only possible justification that I can find is using this tape deck to record some radio shows that I stream.

I haven't seen anything bad about the 5220 but when I think about how cool it would look sitting next to my 2245 all logic flies out the window.

I'm not quite so enamored that I'd buy one that wasn't even working...but pretty close.

there are all kinds of reasons to make a purchase, although I have several better decks I recently acquired a Kenwood KX-1030 mainly to complete my silver stack system before giving it to my middle son, along with my Kenwood KD-500/Grace G707.

Dropped my Pioneer off with the tech today for a good cleaning etc, it's been sitting idle for some time. It's going to my youngest son, it was purchased new by his grandmother for his grandfather back in the 70's. He's never really shown an interest in music, but when I asked him today if he would like his grandfather's stereo he answered yes with a huge smile on his face. He has no idea of it's monetary value, that makes me happy.
 
Last edited:
For me the bestl deck is one that performs well and is reliable, such as the Pioneer CT-S88R that I now own. It's well reviewed upper mid-line deck from the late 80s and hardly state-of-art, even for 1986, but it works great and satisfies me completely. And, no, I am not claiming for it "holy grail" status.

In my day I've owned many decks, including seven middle range Nakamichi models but the only 'holy grail' machine I've owned is a Pioneer CT-F1250, which is incredible, and a Tandberg (I forget the model) which was spectacular but very unreliable. Another friend owned a stunning Revox cassette deck but I never had the opportunity to play with it. It certainly was a attractive machine.

I've known a couple of guys who owned either a Nakamichi 700 or 1000 model and those decks impressed me big time. Not only were they incredible tape decks, they were B E A U T I F U L.
I also have a CT-S88R and it's a great sounding deck and just plays tapes no maintenance and seems to be very rare and never mentioned. 100 dragons for sale 0 CTD88R today. Cannot find one online for sale. Mine has reap wood sides on it.lools like real wood anyway
 

Attachments

  • 20220322_011314.jpg
    20220322_011314.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 39
Your interpretation. Mine is best performing, with points for being servicable.
In AK Holy Grail = Flip$$$ ..
biglaugh.gif
 
I have 7 decks 2 onkyo ta intrga 2700s I use mostly for recording and some playback, I really like there futures for recording and sound alsome, a onkyo intrga ta 6711 is used for just playing it sounds great like a warm CD player. Then I have 2 JVC TD V621s very good decks and great recording, next a onkyo intrga TA 2600 absolutely mint but all my decks are mint, and last a onkyo intrga TA 500 auto reverses another alsome sounding deck. All have been serviced cleaned with new belts and lubed and you can't find any nicks, dents or scratches on my decks, I've become very fond Onkyo and there futures for recording and there sound.
 
I wonder why no one has mentioned the Denon DRM-800 (three-head, logic controlled cassette deck). This deck has been working flawlessly and delivering great sound since I bought it some thirty years ago.
I had a Denon 800A it was a nice deck but the one thing I noticed is the Denons were a lot lighter than my JVC AND ONKYO, so light that just pushing on the buttons the deck would move sometime. So I personally think the heaver deck says something.
 
I wonder why no one has mentioned the Denon DRM-800 (three-head, logic controlled cassette deck). This deck has been working flawlessly and delivering great sound since I bought it some thirty years ago.

DRM 800 is a good deck. Mine has been trouble free as well. I cant say it sounds any different than my Naks.
 
The better JVC decks like the V-661 are in fact direct drive dual capstan machines. They have wow and flutter readings that are as good as the best decks I have measured. under .04%. They are dead flat from 30HZ-19KHZ when set up properly. They will make a tape that is identical to the source in tape source comparisons when monitored on a very revealing system. They are much newer than a lot of the more expensive decks mentioned and tend to be in better shape. JVC decks are very popular in recording studios.

Have one coming today, from a studio in CA. Supposed to be in very good shape. Interested to see how it compares to my HK 301.

Edit: V661 is a pretty impressive deck. Listening to a recording of Roxy Music - Stranded, and it sounds like I’m listening to the record. Easy to bias, set levels, and record. Everything on it is useful except record direct from CD (for me anyhow). Only thing I don’t like is the motorized eject. Eject BEFORE powering off. Sound-wise excellent!
 
Last edited:
The JVC TD-V661 is dual capstan, slaved DD as pointed out, with very good specs, though I have never heard or owned one. Vintagecassette.com has it speced wrong, but the pic is correct. I should not have inferred that it was single capstan, belt drive based on one check point, my error.

That Tascam 122 MKIII is a fine looking deck, for sure. So many decks to try, so little time...
Have this deck and you’d need VERY sensitive instruments to hear a difference between source and tape.
 
Back
Top Bottom