• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Topping D50

Hi, I am running my unit form a Battery Power pack that puts out 5v & 12v. So yes I use a 5v battery pay which is charged when need from the USE power out from my computer. I found that using the USB power to directly drive the unit increased background noise.

Cheers
 
Hi, Well I finally got around to download the link Topping advised to use it with my Windows 7. (it's a new install) However the link did not work, still will not load. Went back to Topping & they basically told me to change my computer.!!
Also I have started having trouble with the little joy-stick sticking when I move it to the right, so far still OK going left. anyone else had this type of problem.

Cheers
 
Hi, Well I finally got around to download the link Topping advised to use it with my Windows 7. (it's a new install) However the link did not work, still will not load. Went back to Topping & they basically told me to change my computer.!!
Also I have started having trouble with the little joy-stick sticking when I move it to the right, so far still OK going left. anyone else had this type of problem.

Cheers

Your OS is out of official Microsoft support and updates in less than two months, end of life.
 
Hi, Yes I am well aware of that. But like XP, there will be millions of people who continue to use it as 10 is just crap, so difficult to use & get the results, that was easy in 7!!.
However as the D50s was released before 7's end of life then the manufacturer should support it.
Cheers
 
Thinking about upgrading my Musical Fidelity vDAC (first edition) with a D50 or D50s. Do most of my listening through a Chromecast audio via optical out to my receiver.

Is it worth it or would it be a kind of lateral upgrade? My understanding is the vDAC was quite good for its time, even against things costing much more. I don’t have any complaints as such, but I’d like to lock in my system for a year or two as I just got new speakers and a power amp.

One thing holding me back is lack of MQA support. I don’t currently do MQA, but I’ll probably eventually grab an Android phone and stream Tidal masters.
 
Additionally, I’ve noticed the vDac is much quieter than all the other sources to my Denon 3500H receiver. I’m using the analog in on the CD input for the Vdac and then powering my Monitor Audio RS 6 silver speakers with a Crown XTI2000. It gets plenty loud, but not until I get to 65 or so on the receiver.

With the kind of power the crown is putting out, I should be calling the police at about 35. Will the output of the topping D50 effect this? I do not know at which point gain is set in this chain of devices. As I understand it, the Denon pre-outs are generally well regarded for their quality and voltage.
 
Hi, Yes I am well aware of that. But like XP, there will be millions of people who continue to use it as 10 is just crap, so difficult to use & get the results, that was easy in 7!!.
However as the D50s was released before 7's end of life then the manufacturer should support it.
Cheers

Would you please elucidate as to what makes Windows 10 crap?

I have not found it to be difficult in any way. In fact, my desktop was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 when Microsoft offered the free upgrade. That desktop has never given me one moment of anything but its best behavior. I also have three other PC's running Windows 10. None have ever exhibited any problems.
 
Would you please elucidate as to what makes Windows 10 crap?

I have not found it to be difficult in any way. In fact, my desktop was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 when Microsoft offered the free upgrade. That desktop has never given me one moment of anything but its best behavior. I also have three other PC's running Windows 10. None have ever exhibited any problems.

If you're old-school nerd or IT professional Windows 10 can be a nightmare. Much more stable, driver stuff is generally better, but unavoidable updates and their garbage "app store" make the experience worse in a lot of ways. I've given into the borg and I'm fine with Win 10 now, but I understand people who hate it.
 
H Lattuboyi, I had a ZDac & found the upgrade well worth while & the extra thing I like about the D50s model is it has Blue-tooth. Ideal for listening to Spotify from.

Not going to go into what makes 10 crap on the blog. Just to say that people in later years (me) get used to what they know & can use. Then a tech company turns a system on it's head & expects everyone to jump. Both my neighbour & brother (both older than me) still use XP, that's their choice & they do not want to change.
But as I said before the D50 & D50s were released when 7 was still supported & therefore their product should work with this system. If I had know my computer with 7 would not work I would not have bought it.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Thinking about upgrading my Musical Fidelity vDAC (first edition) with a D50 or D50s. Do most of my listening through a Chromecast audio via optical out to my receiver.
Similar here.
MF VDACII with VPSU.
D50 looks like it can work as a preamp too. Mentioned above D50s has Bluetooth. That s two functions not on VDAC.

Other system has a Maverick Tubemagic with upgrades. Sounds great but not a new design either.
 
After months of listening to my D50, I have decided to switch back to a Modi 3, in black. At the time I purchased the Topping D30 and D50, I wasn't being honest with myself about why I didn't like the Modi 3. I convinced myself that I wanted another DAC because of somehow flawed sound, but it was really the silver color that bothered me. The Topping gear that was the right color, but sounded wrong after months of critical listening. I'm certainly not immune to creating flawed rationalizations to justify the things I want in life, and aesthetics are important, but so is sound quality, and I want both.

The Modi 3 resolves minute mid to high frequency details that turn into clicks and mush in the D30 and D50, and outputs tighter bass. I have substantiated this with back to back, SPL-matched testing. The mid to high frequency issues in the Topping DACs typically occur in the processing of lossy files, but not lossless. Also, the timbre of various instruments sounds more like the real thing through the Modi 3. The D50 also experienced some minor RF interference issues that weren't a deal breaker, but ultimately annoyed me. The Topping DACs are okay, but ultimately did not meet my expectations. YMMV.
 
Level matching is a good start but sighted comparison can lead to all sorts of wrong conclusions. Have someone switch the DACs without you seeing which one is playing and try to tell them apart for a real test.
 
Level matching is a good start but sighted comparison can lead to all sorts of wrong conclusions. Have someone switch the DACs without you seeing which one is playing and try to tell them apart for a real test.

Agreed, but that is not practical at the moment.
 
Level matching is a good start but sighted comparison can lead to all sorts of wrong conclusions. Have someone switch the DACs without you seeing which one is playing and try to tell them apart for a real test.

My wife and I have done blind A/B testing. The results can be really surprising.
 
Back
Top Bottom