I don't know what player program you're using. However if it has the option of using WASAPI or ASIO you should jump on one of those wagons. Both allow a music player to bypass Windows internal mixer. The internal mixer has a negative effect on the sound. There is IME an easily audible difference between ASIO/WASAPI and Windows mixer. Foobar, Media Monkey and MusicBee all support both WASAPI and ASIO. In addition they are free. All three are IMO an order of magnitude better than Windows Media Player. I only use the free version of Spotify. As I only use streaming to audition possible purchases the feeds from free Spotify, free Pandora or free Radio Paradise work for me.
Radio Paradise offers several different sampling rates up to lossless FLAC files. Their 320Kbps files are adequate for my purposes.
FWIW: I use Win 10 running WASAPI through MusicBee as my primary player. All of my music files are FLAC from an NAS.