• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Topping D50

I sent an email to the Ebay seller that I bought the dac 50 from and he got right back to me an said he would talk to Topping about the bits only showing 0.0 when playing cd's and get back to me by the end of the day. Well he did and told me the Topping rep said after firmware version 1.02 it does not show bits if using the digital coax connection but will using USB.. I thought, Is this a deal breaker for me? But when I hear how good it sounds with my Chorus 1's I think I will just not let it bother me. I got it for such a good price I will just enjoy my cd collection all over again.
 
Last edited:
I have a Topping D50 and use the coax output from my OppO BDP-95 to drive the coax input of the D50.
When stopped or idle the D50 display shows PCM 44.1 kHz 00 bits. When playing a CD it shows PCM 44.1 kHz 16 bits. Not sure how to determine the firmware version.
Tom
 
Last edited:
I have a Topping D50 and use the coax output from my OppO BDP-95 to drive the coax input of the D50.
When stopped or idle the D50 display shows PCM 44.1 kHz 00 bits. When playing a CD it shows PCM 44.1 kHz 16 bits.Not sure how to determine the firmware version.
Tom

Yea it sounded kind of fishy to me to. I will contact the seller and let him know about your experience and see what he says. Thanks.
 
Can someone tell me how to install the new driver for the d50. I downloaded the file onto my pc but I can't get it onto the dac??????????? PLEASE, HELP ME........Explain it in steps if you can because I am not really a computer guy. Thanks for any help.
 
Can someone tell me how to install the new driver for the d50. I downloaded the file onto my pc but I can't get it onto the dac??????????? PLEASE, HELP ME........Explain it in steps if you can because I am not really a computer guy. Thanks for any help.

If you are running Windows 10 with all the updates you don't need a driver.
 
I am running windows 7.

The driver you downloaded should have an installer - setup.exe or something like that, just run it. The driver is for Windows 7 to understand how to talk to the DAC, you don't need to load it onto the DAC.
 
OK, I misspoke the computer I was using is actually windows 10 pro, I thought it was 7. Thanks for your help.
 
By the way to check which version of firmware you have on your d50, when you open the control panel after connecting the dac to your computor click info and it will tell you. As far as I know the latest version is 1.03. It did say on the instructions for doing the firmware update to only do it if your serial number is within the ones listed.
 
After many hours of listening, I would like to share some observations. My recent DAC testing sessions included a Schiit Modi 3 and a Topping D30. In my opinion, the D50 sounds notably better than the other units, in my system. The Modi 3 does sound nice, especially for the price, but exhibits an initially glorious, fuzzy undertone that doesn't work for me after many hours of listening. The bright white LED doesn't appeal either, and I chose to cover it with red vinyl to tame the output. The D30 sounds more naturalistic and pleasing during extended listening sessions, but does not resolve minute details to my satisfaction. It has discreet LED indicators, and a toggle power switch, both of which are points in its favor. The D50 produces a clear, detailed, naturalistic output that keeps me coming back for more, and causes me to become entranced by recordings I have heard literally hundreds of times. It was worth the price, no doubt.
 
I'm going to take the plunge into DAC world with a D50. Just a couple of questions.

Long USB cable/short analog vs Shorter USB/longer analog?

Because of cabling logistics & no headphone jack, I want to continue using the computer's soundcard for headphones & amplified speakers. Will I have to change the audio playback function in Control Panel every time or will they work simultaneously?
 
I'm going to take the plunge into DAC world with a D50. Just a couple of questions.

Long USB cable/short analog vs Shorter USB/longer analog?

Because of cabling logistics & no headphone jack, I want to continue using the computer's soundcard for headphones & amplified speakers. Will I have to change the audio playback function in Control Panel every time or will they work simultaneously?

I prefer using a long USB cable connecting my laptop to Topping D30 DAC, and then short analog cables to pre-amp. I am using 25ft active Male A to Male B USB cable.
 
After many hours of listening, I would like to share some observations. My recent DAC testing sessions included a Schiit Modi 3 and a Topping D30. In my opinion, the D50 sounds notably better than the other units, in my system. The Modi 3 does sound nice, especially for the price, but exhibits an initially glorious, fuzzy undertone that doesn't work for me after many hours of listening. The bright white LED doesn't appeal either, and I chose to cover it with red vinyl to tame the output. The D30 sounds more naturalistic and pleasing during extended listening sessions, but does not resolve minute details to my satisfaction. It has discreet LED indicators, and a toggle power switch, both of which are points in its favor. The D50 produces a clear, detailed, naturalistic output that keeps me coming back for more, and causes me to become entranced by recordings I have heard literally hundreds of times. It was worth the price, no doubt.
I have a D30 at the moment - I think its great.

Would upgrading to the D50 be a worthwhile thing for me to consider?
 
I have a D30 at the moment - I think its great.

Would upgrading to the D50 be a worthwhile thing for me to consider?

I like the D30, but find the D50 notably superior in the way it handles the highest and lowest frequencies. The D30 offered great midrange, but lacked something relatively small in the extremes. The D50 has been described as "bright" by some, and "detailed" by others, but it sounds "right" to me, in my room, on my gear. I hope that proves helpful. The difference is small, to be sure, but not insignificant. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
It sounds good, but now I've had to order a USB hub. SWMBO will not like 2 cords sticking out of the computer.

It looks like I have to change the sound devices back and forth in Control panel.
 
Back
Top Bottom