invaderzim
Super Member
<snip> The question to explore is
why more than a few people are hearing a difference. <snip>
It would be easier to explore if both sides were willing to explore it but the DMZ between the number and the feelings side gets more isolated. Like most divisive topics neither side will consider the others and anger and mockery quickly results. Things like "Why would I blind test it if I know this one is better?" from one side and even things like "why would anyone wear an analog watch when digital is so much more accurate and cheaper?" from the other.
I believe several studies have shown that a known price per bottle is the greatest influence both when rating wines and when subjectively measuring the enjoyment level of the wine. I suspect this is the case with a lot of audio equipment. The placebo effect is real and measurable <snip>
I used to trust my own hearing until I bought a DAC that was eight times the price of my current one. I plugged it in and sat back in amazement at how much better the sound was. I would have written a long and glowing review of it at that moment, it was just that good. Then out of curiosity I added in a switch box to allow quick changing between it and my old DAC. In blind testing I picked the more expensive DAC just slightly over half the time as the better sounding one.
Problem is that reliable hardware tests and double blind tests just don't happen in every instance. So, the most effective method of dealing with this expectation bias is to use a health dose of skepticism.
Mark Gosdin
According to some on the feelings side of the divide I should have never done the A/B testing; I should have just been happy with it and moved on. Quotes like "If it sounds better then it is better" or "Who is it hurting if they think it is better?" One problem there is that is the type of upgrading that leads to the feeling of soon needing future upgrades when the imagined "wow factor" wears off on the current piece of equipment. Since it really isn't better my brain will eventually figure that out. As the placebo effect wore off I would have started looking for the next DAC upgrade that would make me go "Wow" again because last time an upgrade was a huge improvement.
Last edited:


