• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Transistor Substitutions

The 2SD313 is pretty common in some of the vintage receivers as power supply transistors and in other places (I think) as low wattage output transistors. I think your question can't be answered properly without an idea of how the 2SD313 is used in the circuit.

2SD313​
Silicon NPN in TO-220 package​
general purpose amplifier and switching applications​
​
Vcbo: 60 V​
Vceo: 60 V​
Vebo: 5 V​
Ic max: 3 A​
ft: 8 MHz​
hFE (for the E code): 100-200​
Pc: 1.75 W​


In general, you've got quite a few modern, inexpensive choices... which ones are best, though, will depend on how the transistor is used in your circuit. Is it doing amplification duty in the audio signal path? Or is it just performing voltage regulation or switching in the power supply?

TIP31, TIP41, KSC2334, KSD526, KSD880, KSD363, KSD1408, KSD1588, KSD2012, BD241, BD243, BD809, MJE15028, MJE15030, MJE15032, MJE15034

(edited to remove the TO-247 devices as they are not the same dimensions)

Hi Dlucy

I have a (pretty rare apparently) Pioneer LX-626 where i have to different versions of the 2SD313 (2SD313 and 2SD313P) on the power supply board that i am looking to get replaced. But i am unsure what to replace them with. I can not find a datasheet on the 2SD313P, but i presume that its the same specs as the 2SD313 exept for perhaps a different hFE.

Can you help me with what components to pick for these two components ?

I have also created this thread trying to get help on the issue https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-difference.1083851/#post-17770282
 
Hi Dlucy

I have a (pretty rare apparently) Pioneer LX-626 where i have to different versions of the 2SD313 (2SD313 and 2SD313P) on the power supply board that i am looking to get replaced. But i am unsure what to replace them with. I can not find a datasheet on the 2SD313P, but i presume that its the same specs as the 2SD313 exept for perhaps a different hFE.

Can you help me with what components to pick for these two components ?

I have also created this thread trying to get help on the issue https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-difference.1083851/#post-17770282
It's C, D, E, or F for the hFE with F being the highest up to 320.

 
Hi Dlucy

I have a (pretty rare apparently) Pioneer LX-626 where i have to different versions of the 2SD313 (2SD313 and 2SD313P) on the power supply board that i am looking to get replaced. But i am unsure what to replace them with. I can not find a datasheet on the 2SD313P, but i presume that its the same specs as the 2SD313 exept for perhaps a different hFE.

Can you help me with what components to pick for these two components ?

I have also created this thread trying to get help on the issue https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-difference.1083851/#post-17770282
the hfe of that transistor on the power supply board likely does not mean much. It is a 3A Ic @60v Vbe, Vbo.
pop one of these in there and call it a day:
 
Try to locate some KTC3198 or KTC3199. They are very similar to the Toshiba 2SC1815 and 2SC2458. The GR rank has hfe of around 300 and you may be able to find BL rank of these. Either KEC or Taiwan semiconductors brands are ok.I suggest to contact Mouser and inquire about the KTC3198 they m

ay also suggest an SMD alternative.
An excellent SMD match to the 2SC1815BL would be the Toshiba 2SC4116BL. Have a look at it.

Do you know of any in stock, reliable sources of KTC3198 / 3199 in GR grade or higher?
 
I'm not certain, but almost sure everyone has access to E-Bay....they have many discontinued transistors, but be prepared to dig deep to afford them.
 
Thanks for the response tarior...so Far, so Good....knock on wood....LOL...but Yes, I have heard 'China' products are shotty...more specifically...I've been doing E-Bay for 4 years now...like the availability, and yes, a chance is ALWAYS there...but not so much on my orders...I just got Lucky (Dokken Rocks)
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the response tarior...so Far, so Good....knock on wood....LOL...but Yes, I have heard 'China' products are shotty...more specifically...I've been doing E-Bay for 4 years now...like the availability, and yes, a chance is ALWAYS there...but not so much on my orders...I just got Lucky (Dokken Rocks)
Some fakes are more obvious to the naked eye than others. This is when a curve tracer comes in really handy.
 
I am looking for a replacement for a NEC 2SA988E and was wondering if a NTE91 would work, or if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement that would be great. Thanks in advance as always.
 
Of what is currently available from first source suppliers, KSC3503 is probably your best bet. Though the only one left is the "D" gain range, which is well below 500. Someone here might chime in with a SMD part that can be used on a breakout board.
I do not think so, the KSC3503 is a NPN where as the 2SA988 is PNP.
 
I do not think so, the KSC3503 is a NPN where as the 2SA988 is PNP.
Yeah. Duh. Sorry. Not sure what I was thinkin' there.
KSA992 is about as close as you're gonna get, though gain falls off faster above about 10mA. Which really shouldn't matter.
 
I am looking for a replacement for a NEC 2SA988E and was wondering if a NTE91 would work, or if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement that would be great. Thanks in advance as always.
I have some NOS Sanyo 2SA1370's. They would probably work great. I have the 2SC3467 too, its complement if you want to replace them as pairs.

Sanyo 2SA1370_Page 1.png
 
Back
Top Bottom