• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TubeDAC-09 tube rolling

Hey, Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't had a chance to check back for awhile. I just learned how to set for email notification. I knew the 7199 was a different tube configuration and that it didn't match up with the other recommended tubes but I also didn't understand why. The 7199 has the same pin configuration, meaning 9 pins, so thanks for the explanation about the heater pins being different.

I have given the JAN 5670 more time to burn in and it isn't cracking up anymore and is starting to sound really good. You got to understand that for me I am not a believer in burn in time for SPEAKERS or SOLID STATE equipment. I do, however, acknowledge that tubes are different and need to be both warmed up and broken in; I just don't have experience with them. The Russian 2C51 and the stock 6N3 I find to be almost solid state like. Because the JAN has improved with burn in time I will risk investing more money on one of the GE stars or WE 396A.

I have another question. If I use the DAC-09 as a preamp will the optical input still work or does that limit me to using only the analog input?

Thanks
 
I have another question. If I use the DAC-09 as a preamp will the optical input still work or does that limit me to using only the analog input?

Thanks

No it won't limit you to using only the analog input. The only difference between DAC mode or preamp mode is the volume control on headphone only (for DAC) or on all outputs (preamp).
 
Based on this thread's recommendations I swapped in a GE 5760 5-star (grey print?) and the sound clarity and depth jumped to a higher level. There is a deeper and richer bottom end and a tightness across the board. I had around 20 hours on the stock tube and I can't say I noticed any changes over time - but I got impatient to try the GE.
 
Just got this DAC today and am waiting for a 25' optic cable with a mini plug to hook up directly to my Mac Mini.

I'd like to hear for myself what the GE 5670 Red 5 Star tube sounds like but I can't find any for sale on eBay.

Is there another source?

I see the black version for sale but don't know what the differences would be sonically.
 
Just got this DAC today and am waiting for a 25' optic cable with a mini plug to hook up directly to my Mac Mini.

I see the black version for sale but don't know what the differences would be sonically.

I've owned my DAC-09 for almost a year the two best sounding I've heard of several different brands I've tried are the Western Electric 396A and the GE 5 Star (with white lettering). The rare GE 'Us Army' 5670 is also a great sounding tube but I've only ever found one of these.

Wb
 
Tung-Sol 5670

I am now on my fourth tube type the Tung-sol JTL_5670, black plates, D Getters. My progression went from stock to Russian 2c51, to JAN 5670, and now the Tung-Sol. Someone commented on a Tung-sol 2c51 but my tube is labelled 5670. This tube is certainly an improvement and the best I have heard so far. The soundstage is like nothing I have heard; everything seems very well placed. There is a lot of depth with this tube. Background vocals are clearer but more distinctly in the back, which is creating the nice sense of depth. The treble seems to have a nice sparkle to it and the Tung-Sol has no problem with dynamics or producing deep bass. I am now a believer in tube rolling. I picked this tube up for $20 at a local hi-fi store. I am no wondering if I should move to the 5 Star or the W.E.? I will have to try both. I am very content right now with this tube but I want to have a complete comparison of value for money. Right now its proving that the more you spend, the better the sound.
 
Last edited:
it blows my mind, but for some reason my tube output is brighter and cleaner than the SS output... i have no idea why, but i'm not minding very much... sounds good to me.
 
it blows my mind, but for some reason my tube output is brighter and cleaner than the SS output... i have no idea why, but i'm not minding very much... sounds good to me.

There are lots of reasons why it could sound brighter and cleaner than the SS output. 1. If your amp has a high sensitivity and low THD then its using cleaner watts. Therefore its not placing any high demand on the output from the DAC-09 = less distortion. If the tube output THD is .1% and the SS output is .001% it would be near impossible to hear the difference between the 2 unless driven to high levels of output. 2. The type of tubes you are using will make a difference on the sound but the SS will always sound the same (all things being equal).
 
My GE RED STAR is shot. I Really get alot of use out of my Dac-09. It may just be the hardest working component in my system. I am really bummed as I only got one..Stupid in hind sight. Anyone found a source? The stock tube just isn't cutting it for me!
 
I'd like to hear for myself what the GE 5670 Red 5 Star tube sounds like but I can't find any for sale on eBay.

Is there another source?

I see the black version for sale but don't know what the differences would be sonically.

I have some White 5 Star 5670 tubes. I'll trade you even up for a 'Black Version'.
 
Last edited:
I have recently bought a box of 6n3p-ev tubes to replanc the 6n3's drivers in my power amplifier and they sound HEAPS better than the 6n3's that came with the amp. much more detailed and cleaner.

Seeming as these tubes are $1 each and I have 8 of them I am going to try them in my DAC. I am still running the 5 star 5670 and its great but I am keen to see how the russians sound. It's funny they dont get a bigger audience. I am running 6n1p-ev's 6n3p-ev's and gu-29's in my main amp and they are great!

Anyone else tried the 6n3p-ev? (6H3n-EB) in russian
 
Hello,

I purchased a GE Red 5 STAR - but the number shows 6201 and not 5670. I popped it in the DAC-09 and no sound came out.

Is the 6201 different than 5670? The 6201 looks very similar (in appearance) to the stock tube.

Thanks
 
If you read through the earlier posts you will see I had a similar question and the answer is that the heater pins are different even though it looks similar.
 
Just picked up a pair of GE red stars on ebay. Been watching forever and some finally popped up at a reasonable price. The seller also has some more red stars and whites if anyone else in interested. No affiliation, just figured others have been looking since they are so highly regarded as an upgrade in the DAC-09
 
Thanks for the heads up on the GE red 5 star. I checked there but it is the 6201 and not the 5670. Are you referring to the seller from UK?

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom