Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
Thank you to x2turbo - I purchased a pair of the GE Red 5 Star. Previously, a fellow AKer kindly sold me a GE White 5 Star. Upon comparing these two for an hour or so, I think the GE White 5 Star has more open mid/high and fuller base in my system. I assume that the Red star tubes are used and no longer need any burn in.
Just bought a bunch of NOS tubes from Ebay auction- including four 5-Star red GE 5670's, five Westinghouse 5670's, and a single Sylvania JAN 5670. The GE's are fantastic, as has been stated here. The Westinghouse are very neutral. Haven't tried the JAN tube yet.
Thanks all for the GE recommendations- I now have enough for a long time- and they do sound great!
Just bought a bunch of NOS tubes from Ebay auction- including four 5-Star red GE 5670's, five Westinghouse 5670's, and a single Sylvania JAN 5670. The GE's are fantastic, as has been stated here. The Westinghouse are very neutral. Haven't tried the JAN tube yet.
Thanks all for the GE recommendations- I now have enough for a long time- and they do sound great!
The JAN are considered to be the worst of the 3 you mention as it is not that stable and gives me the most crackling and coloration but I am starting to learn that sometimes it is just related to the age and strength of the individual tube. My favorite tube so far is the Sylvania Gold Brand. Said to be on par with the WE 396A it is a highly detailed tube with just a hint of treble sparkle but great open midrange and good frequency response throughout. I just find them to have the best over all presentation of the music. I have tried Tried Russian, Chinese, Tung-Sol, W.H., Raytheon, JAN, and the Sylvania GB.