• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrading the RCA RS177A - RS177J Console Amps: Three Stages of Mod Recipes

Thanks for the post. I bought one of these from a member on here as my first tube amp project but quickly moved past it onto Dynaco, Scott, etc and never finished it. This helped motivate me again ;-)
 
Here is my implementation in Knight 6BQ5 amplifier. The diode section was later updated with "bullet proofing" option

1789683418860.png
 
I can't say enough about these RCA output transformers- They're just console transformers right? But RCA really knocked it out of the park- I have never seen a console amp with transformers this good- getting very low frequency performance (only down 1dB at 30Hz =at power=), and a barely existent resonant peak at like ~190kHz.
Very nice work and great documentation. I think I have one of those RCA chassis stashed away in my basement. The Fisher Philharmonic chassis transformers are even smaller but measure fairly similar. The amp I built with them sounds very impressive for its tiny footprint.

Power Output 8W into 8ohm load
Input Sensitivity 0.9v
15.5dB of Global NFB
Frequency response is flat 20Hz-35KHz

Full power THD:
50Hz = 1.3%
1KHz = 0.34%
15KHz = 0.8%

1789849947408.png
 
Here is my implementation in Knight 6BQ5 amplifier. The diode section was later updated with "bullet proofing" option
Thank you for sharing that. It seems the STF16N50M2 is a very capable newer device, that has the Zener protection between the gate and source now built into the device. Amazing stuff.

Did you build this on a hand wired perf board or PCB, or point to point?

I always wonder about both the 4.7uF at the ADJ of the LM337, and similarly the 0.47uF at the gate of the MOSFET- are these purely for noise abatement, or do you think there's a time constant for shaping dynamic response involved? I wonder, since the screen is lagging the B+ if it would be interesting to see the effects of varying these RC time constants on distortion. One would probably need to use either an arbitrary waveform or sweep different frequencies?
 
Very nice work and great documentation. I think I have one of those RCA chassis stashed away in my basement. The Fisher Philharmonic chassis transformers are even smaller but measure fairly similar. The amp I built with them sounds very impressive for its tiny footprint.

Power Output 8W into 8ohm load
Input Sensitivity 0.9v
15.5dB of Global NFB
Frequency response is flat 20Hz-35KHz

Full power THD:
50Hz = 1.3%
1KHz = 0.34%
15KHz = 0.8%
Thank You for the kind words. Very nice work on that! What model and do you have a build thread on that?

I have the ability to measure distortion, but it's using a Focusrite USB audio interface and REW- always seems like such a huge effort and challenge to get the amp set up on my table where the laptop lives and get everything connected up and configured correctly. P.I.T.A really, so I don't measure it very often. Looks like you have done a very thorough job. Again, Nice work!
 
This is all Dave's work. I can't take credit for designing any part of it; I only connected two circuits to work together. I believe it was done before me as well, but I either couldn't find a reference to it, or it simply was designed for something else and wouldn't work for my amplifier. I don't remember.
Both SS devices are plastic case version without a metal tab and are screwed to the amplifier chassis. All wiring is done point-to-point with longer T-strips.
 
That amplifier was initially built as an exercise to test the output transformers' performance with 6BQ5 tubes in place of the original ELL80.
The thread is here.

Then, I decided to try EL95, and it worked better. The thread is here.
 
Back
Top Bottom